PDA

View Full Version : Honda reliability my ass!

Doward
06-19-2005, 05:32 PM
[rant]I don't believe this. Wife calls to tell me the Accord is broke down AGAIN. What is it this damn time? The bolts, that hold the radius arm in place... fell out. They fell the fuck out. What size are they? I go, and figure 'Hey, the other side is still in, I'll yank a bolt, and find out what size they are!' 10x1.25, ok, np. Now that bolt won't go back in?! WTF. Now I've got to pull everything apart, to get that damned hole PERFECTLY lined up, to get that damn bolt back in - nevermind the side that was screwed in the FIRST PLACE. :mad:

My '88 Camaro has been a BILLION times more reliable than this damn Honda. The next person I meet, that babbles on about how reliable an import is, is going to get severely brutalized. :mad:

In order to get the bolts back in, I'm removing teh wheel, unbolting the wishbone, taking down the lower balljoint, and moving the CV axle to the side, to get full access to the stupid hole. I've also taken off the nuts holding the radius arm in place, in the very front. Sound good?

accordlxi2.0
06-19-2005, 05:37 PM
well then i guess i'm the one to get brutillized.....sorry to hear about that,but
your gonna have problems with your car every once in a while...
oh and ummm try owning a ford product...then you'll prbably be thankful to have that honda.....

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2005, 05:50 PM
i bet somebody left them loose, ive never ever seen them come out on theyre own unless they werent tightened down properly. As for getting them back in, you can use a pry bar to line up the holes, or unbolt the nut on the end of the radius rod in the front beam, that gives you a little bit of play. Either way this shouldnt take too long to do

Doward
06-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Alright, accordlxi2.0, bring it :D Seriously, I'm really disappointed in this car. When it runs, it just keeps going, but it's stupid things that are making me consider getting rid of it. I mean, an intake leak, or a dead starter, I'm prepared for on my Camaro, but NEVER has any part of the suspension just decided to leave the car!

I'll try the pry bar in the morning... Also, I did loosen the front nut on the radius rod. :)

Vanilla Sky
06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
you also have to think that your car is nearing 20 years old. i gurantee you're going to have trouble out of ANY car this old. at least you don't have to worry about it just being a chevy and deciding to fuck you up one day.

i'm not saying that these are the most reliable cars in the world, but they are leaps and bound better than anything i've seen that was built by an american company in the same period.

i'm willing to bet that your problem is dirt. get some carb cleaner and clean the bolts and the radius arm well. make damn sure to torque them down as well. i'm with the others. the problem was that they weren't tightened properly last time.

Doward
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Yeah, they'll go back in, tq'd to what? I'm going to loctite those bastards, too!

Vanilla Sky
06-19-2005, 06:34 PM
40 foot pounds

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Id go tighter, like 80ft-lbs. If you can, burp it on with an impact wrench.

Vanilla Sky
06-19-2005, 06:38 PM
that's what the factory manual specifies

smufguy
06-19-2005, 08:52 PM
i have a car that has more than 40K miles that i put on in about 16months with parts salvaged purely from junkyards. and its the car that i drive right now and its a 3g all year around baby and i drive to NJ and NC back and forth atleast once in 5 months and NJ to VA every other month. I put on 300miles in about 3days and it goes thru a lot of city and highway miles. So if u wanna talk about reliability, talk to me cause i will give u endless proof. The only things that have broken in this car after i put together is the rusted junkyard radiator and a junkard rubber coolant hose.

SOrry to hear about your problem :sadwave:

Not like a rock
06-19-2005, 09:06 PM
used cars are like girls: all messed up from a previous relationship, and its up to you to fix them.

the problems I've run into are usually based on who has owned / worked on the car before you. last year one of my rear struts busted out of the top mount. none of the parts were defective, but one of the stopper plates was missing. People take redneck shortcuts, especially if they know they are selling the car, so you have to fix the ghetto out of it and the car will treat you well.

I put about 40,000 km on my car every year (average milage on a current 3G is around 200-275,000 km), but that is after I replaced the engine and suspension, and did it right.

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah that is true, if a hack worked on them or somebody who doesnt know what they are doing, you can really screw up a honda. Thrashed/abused/neglected cars tend to be bad news nomatter if its a ford or a honda...

paso100
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
I look at it this way: I've decided to keep the car and fix WHATEVER goes wrong with it. But first I had a compression test because I didn't want to have to replace/rebuild my engine.

Now anything else that goes wrong is cheaper to replace/fix and that problem is taken care of. I'd rather do this than make monthly payments on a new vehicle for 4 or 5 years, plus higher insurance and immediate drop in value after purchase.

Also, I think in terms of systems instead of individual parts. If you're replacing a ball joint, inspect/replace/fix the rest of your suspension while you're at it. This gives me peace of mind. And I like the idea that whatever I replaced will give me another 100,000 miles of use—if done right.

This way of thinking only works because I LIKE the car to begin with and enjoy working on it. I imagine if you hate a car, you'll hate working on whatever goes wrong with it. But do you hate it enough to make payments on something else? To each his own.

Blkblurr
06-20-2005, 06:53 AM
[rant]I don't believe this. Wife calls to tell me the Accord is broke down AGAIN. What is it this damn time? The bolts, that hold the radius arm in place... fell out. They fell the fuck out. What size are they? I go, and figure 'Hey, the other side is still in, I'll yank a bolt, and find out what size they are!' 10x1.25, ok, np. Now that bolt won't go back in?! WTF. Now I've got to pull everything apart, to get that damned hole PERFECTLY lined up, to get that damn bolt back in - nevermind the side that was screwed in the FIRST PLACE. :mad:

My '88 Camaro has been a BILLION times more reliable than this damn Honda. The next person I meet, that babbles on about how reliable an import is, is going to get severely brutalized. :mad:

In order to get the bolts back in, I'm removing teh wheel, unbolting the wishbone, taking down the lower balljoint, and moving the CV axle to the side, to get full access to the stupid hole. I've also taken off the nuts holding the radius arm in place, in the very front. Sound good?

I'm a good person to reply to this because unlike most of you on this board, I've owned my 89 SE-i since it was new. No previous owners. This car has been the most reliable and dependable car I've ever owned. I had never replaced anything on the car due to failure until the car had 180,000 miles on it. The only exception is the exhaust. I replaced the first one at 135,000 but I consider exhausts normal wear items like tires and brakes. The new system is guaranteed for life since I bought it from Honda. BTW, my Accord was built in Marysville, OH so it's not an import. It's has more American content than most US branded cars. If someone treats a car like shit it will cause you problems. Hondas just allow you to do it longer before they get you back.

Doward
06-20-2005, 08:51 AM
LOL< I like the way you put that.

Bolts didn't fall out. They SHEARED off. Class 10.9 metric bolts, sheared clean. wtf? Breaking out the easy out, to get the bolt out, then new ones in.

newaccorddriver
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
i have a car that has more than 40K miles that i put on in about 16months with parts salvaged purely from junkyards.

Junkyard parts eh, how good are junkyard engine mounts? im thinking about picking myself up a few of those bad boys.(being 17 unemployed and a thrifty mechanic i cant spend too much money on an old car)

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2005, 03:32 PM
your wife hit somthing

FyreDaug
06-20-2005, 05:09 PM
your wife hit somthing

Or it was tampered with, but I highly doubt the latter. Was there any other suspension damage?

gp02a0083
06-20-2005, 05:17 PM
oh and ummm try owning a ford product...then you'll prbably be thankful to have that honda.....

uhh not all ford stuff is bad, hell my fathers's 94' f-250 is in the same condition it came from the factory and only has 40k miles on it, but most of the trucks are build a bit better than the ford cars. ive owned a 88 mustang never had a problem with it , my 1986 442 never have a problem with it, the hatchie allmost never has a problem

guess soem people have bad luck with cars , u know if u talk to them they feel better :kekeke:

accordlxi2.0
06-20-2005, 05:35 PM
not trying to start anything here...but most of my family memebers own a ford...or own a ford...and have problems with them...

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Ford builds their trucks much better than their cars. Their cars are absolute nightmares

Vanilla Sky
06-20-2005, 06:37 PM
well, their new trucks aren't holding up worth a damn...

/back on topic, guys

smufguy
06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Junkyard parts eh, how good are junkyard engine mounts? im thinking about picking myself up a few of those bad boys.(being 17 unemployed and a thrifty mechanic i cant spend too much money on an old car)

well i have never replaced my engine mounts and they are in perfect shape with 207Kmiles on the clock. If you wanna get a motor mount from a junkyard, i would suggest that you go to a junkyard where they might give you a warrenty on it. This only applies to the front mount, since its hydraulic and will sometimes crack. But the other two are just rubber so u can go to a pick and pull yard and get it pulled out on your own. Oh, get a jack with you so u can pull the mounts out.... esp the rear and front.

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2005, 06:43 PM
i break motor mounts all the time

Blkblurr
06-21-2005, 04:16 AM
I've owned Fords and GM products before Hondas and I had so many problems with them I was scared to by another. My wife convinced me to look at Hondas and have owned nothing but Hondas ever since. I take very good care of my cars and still had numerous problems when the Amerincan brand names. I would love to feel confindent in buying US brand cars but experience has taught me not to.

Doward
06-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I doubt it was tampered with, and yes, I DO lean toward the wife hitting something - but there is NO damage at all, other than the damned bolts shearing clean in half! Oddest thing. 2 10mm class 10 bolts, sheared off. *sigh*

On a side note, is there a polyurethane kit I can get, for all the bushings in the front end?

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
i break motor mounts all the time

how do u break motor mounts at all? :bowrofl:

Busted_Blue
06-21-2005, 09:34 AM
how do u break motor mounts at all? :bowrofl:

since you are new, you wouldn't know he is packing a turbo under his car.

Ludi Mali
06-21-2005, 10:15 AM
i think the reliability of japanese cars only refers to the frequency in which you can get a lemon. I know a guy with a 90 ford taurus with 270k miles on it all original stuff. I think you can still get a bad jap car but its less likely

Blkblurr
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
i think the reliability of japanese cars only refers to the frequency in which you can get a lemon. I know a guy with a 90 ford taurus with 270k miles on it all original stuff. I think you can still get a bad jap car but its less likely

I would agree. The less likely part would be almost never! At least for Honda. I think you can get new models that have design problems that Honda will correct if you ask but as the model gets to it's third year the problems disappear.

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 07:12 PM
since you are new, you wouldn't know he is packing a turbo under his car.

never knew they made turbos for old accords :)

does the engine have to be modified to accept the turbo or can i just slap on a turbo without worries?

also, telling me the price of the turbo might keep my dreams alive or kill it(so do tell me and get it over with)

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 07:14 PM
I would agree. The less likely part would be almost never! At least for Honda. I think you can get new models that have design problems that Honda will correct if you ask but as the model gets to it's third year the problems disappear.

i would semi agree with those statements, i also believe the quality of the parts matter as well. you cant expect to build a really good car with really cheap parts :uh:

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2005, 07:34 PM
my setup ran me around $2500 for everything. I hit 10psi no problem, and ive put about 5000 ish miles on it like that. I MADE my charge pipes/turbo mani etc... The clutchnet clutch was custom made as well.

snoopyloopy
06-21-2005, 08:06 PM
never knew they made turbos for old accords :)

does the engine have to be modified to accept the turbo or can i just slap on a turbo without worries?
they don't. any member on this board with a turbo did it for him (or her) self with custom-fitted parts. i've heard you can run about 4-6 psi on it on stock internals, but going any higher asks for a couple mods. i think you also have to convert to obd-1 so you can run a computer that can handle the effect of forced induction on the engine computer. and of course, there's the normal mods you have to add if you were going to turbo a factory n/a engine.

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2005, 08:14 PM
its all in the managemant, i have more fuel than i know what to do with. 255lph walbro intank fuel pump (thing is huge, but i love hearing it prime) 450cc injectors (stock is 240cc) Apexi Safc (its not bad) w/msd BTM 5462 (timing controls). Im running a VERY conservative tune, so 10psi it should last just fine on the stock engine

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
my setup ran me around $2500 for everything. I hit 10psi no problem, and ive put about 5000 ish miles on it like that. I MADE my charge pipes/turbo mani etc... The clutchnet clutch was custom made as well.

my dream got shot dead in its tracks as that is exactly how much i have in my bank acocunt :Owned2:

oh well, time for me to get a summer job and fix up my ride :)

buds302
06-21-2005, 11:42 PM
^^^^have fun dude it aint easy nor cheap. some of the poeple did more than just slap a turbo on! and nothing and i mean nothing is made to outfit this car with a turbo. its a complete custom job!

accordlxi2.0
06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
damn...
thats true though about some imports getting a lemon.

newaccorddriver
06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
damn...
thats true though about some imports getting a lemon.

i think it only applys to korean cars :lol: :Owned2:

Vanilla Sky
06-22-2005, 10:18 AM
actually, korean cars are matching up with japanese in terms of initial quality

newaccorddriver
06-22-2005, 10:45 AM
actually, korean cars are matching up with japanese in terms of initial quality

initial quality yes, but long term is still a mystery. ive read an article that there was a 'sudden burst' of quality from the koraen cars makers a while ago. the original cars they made back in the early 90's probably arent as good as the ones now, but they still have a long ways to go in competing with toyota or honda. although that being said, id still rather but a korean car over an american car. but id prefer jap cars over korean cars. and euro cars are comparable to jap cars :)

newaccorddriver
06-23-2005, 10:02 AM
time to add what id really think of honda.

i own an 86 accord and the things really good to drive and all, but ive had a few problems with it in the past month that i started driving it.

1.it stalled at the middle of an intersection while i was turning, almost hit a car cause of that. the weird thing is my car is an automatic. :mad:

2.when driving to school one day i noticed that it didnt sihft out of first gear. my teacher drove it and somehow 'fixed' it so it worked properly once again :mad:

3.while waiting at a red light, it turned green and i hit the gas, it started to sputter then go which was weird, even i dont know what happened :mad:

4.transmission started to slip(people say hondas :mad:

5.transmission wouldnt shift out of first until i move it down to D2 then D3 then D4, and when it gets back to D4 in order for it to get into 4th gear id have to let my foot off the gas. :mad:

5 problems in less then 4 weeks, i hondas are great and reliable cars, but i think i might have gotten the lemon out of the group. but with that said my car has 318000km on it.

to be very fair, 4 out of the 5 problems i had were all transmission related, i think when people mention honda and reliability/quality in the same sentence, i think they mean that the engine would last a lifetime(or just a very long time) and the car as a whole is put together really well, but their automatic transmissions are put together just like a dodge neon or a ford

Vanilla Sky
06-23-2005, 10:46 AM
nope, all 5 are trans related. swap it with a good one and kiss the problems goodbye.

2drSE-i
06-23-2005, 11:56 AM
i have a story to tell about the experts at the ford engineering team

my mom bought a 1999 f-150, brand new, no previous owners

2 years later, ignition coil dies.......why? Ford decided to locate the ignition coil directly under the AC compressor

Ignition coil+ condensation = nonmoving ford vehicle

its been replaced twice now......maybe my mommy shudnt use her AC so much but damn, whos that dumb?

newaccorddriver
06-23-2005, 11:59 AM
nope, all 5 are trans related. swap it with a good one and kiss the problems goodbye.

i dont think the car stalling was really a transmission problem, atleast i dont think so cause its an automatic

newaccorddriver
06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
i have a story to tell about the experts at the ford engineering team

my mom bought a 1999 f-150, brand new, no previous owners

2 years later, ignition coil dies.......why? Ford decided to locate the ignition coil directly under the AC compressor

Ignition coil+ condensation = nonmoving ford vehicle

its been replaced twice now......maybe my mommy shudnt use her AC so much but damn, whos that dumb?

american car makers make cheap disposable cars, honda did that many years ago

i remember my friend telling me about an ad a long time ago. it was something like ford and honda

ford:we got such great customer service
honda:our cars dont need service

i cracked up after hearing that

Blkblurr
06-23-2005, 04:11 PM
It's all relative. How many miles are on your car before you have a failure? If you have one during a warranty period, did the fix take care of the problem or did it come back? What does consumer report say about the car? You will find that Hondas score very high in all areas in CR. You will also find that when Honda has a design problem, they fix it the first time. That doesn't mean Honda dealers do but if Honda identifies the problem they publish a technical service bulletin and it gets fixed with a redesigned part. By the way, how many American cars can you get 318,000 miles out of? I work in an industry that builds the equipment that car companies use to make cars and car parts for all American car companies as well as Honda and Toyota. I own Hondas because I see what goes on in their factories as well as their product design facillities.

2drSE-i
06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
heh, wish i cud say the same for my moms truck

its been through 3 coils now

AccordEpicenter
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
blkburr... all the accords in my driveway are made in ohio :waves: