PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions on Subwoofer Puchase

acessence
06-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Im a newbie to the board, Just curious to what any 1 would recommend for a setup for my car, right now im looking at a 1000 watt Rms Polk Audio Vizar, its a few years old never used i can get it at the local shop for $500 with box, i currently have a AUDIOBAHN A4125HCT 2000W Aplifier, and just looking for what suggestions people might have on a set of subwoofers, or singles. I use to have two 12 inch Viper Subwoofers they pounded like mad, but just looking for something with a little bit more ummpphh and want every one to hear me for miles, as my accord that im totally redoing with new paint, and body kit will be an advertisement for my company Acessence Designs. I really want to attract attention, and as for the rest of my setup, i have 4 Pro Audio 6 inch speakers, with a Kenwood Excelion Deck. So any suggestions would help.

Thanks,Andrew Wrolstad
:uh: :uh: :uh: :uh:
[email protected]

Versanick
06-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Some people don't, but I like the Kicker's... my friend's Kicker L5 (square shaped) 15" is 600RMS and pounds HARD.. you could run two or three of those and make your ears hurt, and not expensively if you find ones that are a few years old.

I don't know about polk stuff... if the vizar looks good, make sure it sounds good before you get it. I think that's way too much money to spend on car audio, but I guess I feel like my car likes money spent on it in different ways.

If it were me, I'd buy two 15" cheap x-brand woofers on eBay ($35 ones), make some boxes with MDF (from any Lowe's or Home Depot) and some carpet cover, buy a few pairs of tweeters on eBay (even cheaper), wire them in with my factory 5x8's, or whatever is in the car, and adjust the deck and amp settings accordingly... I had a great sounding system for under $200 (sub amp included) with my setup that was exactly that. My friends are all conniseur(sp)s of awesome car audio, and, between the two of us, my friend Chuck told me that my cheap ass system that (wasn't quite as loud, but super cheap) I had sounded BETTER then Al's system that costed literally 10x as much.

You can pound hard with cheap subs too. Don't spend too much money. Things break and get stolen and catch fire. And besides, I'd rather make my car go faster than have better audio..

Hash_man_Se_i
06-25-2005, 07:25 PM
For really good power handling and output, I'm a big fan of the Eclipse Aluminum subs, pretty good pricing too.

gfrg88
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
my brother had one 10" power akoustic and man did it sound nice, and it wasnt to pricy either it was like $100 shipped

acessence
07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
pricing really aint too much of an issue, $600 or less im looking to spend

tunesmith_lxi
07-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Im a newbie to the board, Just curious to what any 1 would recommend for a setup for my car, right now im looking at a 1000 watt Rms Polk Audio Vizar, its a few years old never used i can get it at the local shop for $500 with box, i currently have a AUDIOBAHN A4125HCT 2000W Aplifier, and just looking for what suggestions people might have on a set of subwoofers, or singles. I use to have two 12 inch Viper Subwoofers they pounded like mad, but just looking for something with a little bit more ummpphh and want every one to hear me for miles, as my accord that im totally redoing with new paint, and body kit will be an advertisement for my company Acessence Designs. I really want to attract attention, and as for the rest of my setup, i have 4 Pro Audio 6 inch speakers, with a Kenwood Excelion Deck. So any suggestions would help.

Thanks,Andrew Wrolstad
:uh: :uh: :uh: :uh:
[email protected]

Man I have two MA audio xl 12" subwoofers, a 1250 planet audio class D amp, capacitor. Man you talking about some pressure in my car you can't hardly sit in there I get much attention and tickets. As for my highs I have 4 6x9's, 2 of them are pioneer 4-ways and the other two are polk audio 3-ways also I have 2 6inch door speakers and four tweeters. Last but not least I have some marine speakers on the outside of my car inside the back bumper so my highs are real loud

FyreDaug
07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
This probably isnt what you want to hear, I'm all for sound quality, but I have a single 12" Type R, custom ported box (will be building an ABC box, for 35 and 50hz later) and a 200w rockford punch amp and its the best bass Ive heard. I'm not for ear pounding but with only 200w and dynamat all over the trunk it sounds fuckin loud when I want it to be. Freq cut off at 50hz.

You can hear the bass from 2 blocks away. I actually tested it myself. Got my friend to drive away 2 blocks. I am going to be putting a 400w amp on it, and building an ABC box, it should sound even better.

I recommend alpine, they seem to be built well. And the Type R does sound really good. But if you want something just for pounding, memphis m3's I hear are really good. A friend of mine is in SPL comps and he is running 4 m3's. He's just finishing the box

acessence
07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Im looking to use the full potential of my amp, i can run two subs at 1 ohm stable at 1000 rms each, so got any high end subwoofers, any 1 would recommend im thinking maybe just going to highend audiobahn or ORION

POS carb
07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
4 12's or 3 15's!!
and then I would get an aduiobahn 2400 watt class D, that'll turn some heads/shatter some windows

FyreDaug
07-21-2005, 09:22 AM
People and their bass.... Im more than happy with my 200w, try dynamat on your trunk too.

z3bra
07-21-2005, 04:02 PM
im sellin my audiobahn alum10q 10" woofer for 110 (shipped) and qlogic box, 800wt rms, 1600wt peak

87DXHatch
07-30-2005, 09:19 AM
4 12's or 3 15's!!
and then I would get an aduiobahn 2400 watt class D, that'll turn some heads/shatter some windows
Bwahaha. You don't need to sound so bitter ;)

acessence, it all comes down to what you want out of your system. It sounds like you want something retardedly loud, that will make neighbors and law enforcement angry, and makes kids with systems all seem like the enemy. This is not so good. Creating such a system for competition for one thing, "street beating" or whatever you want to call it, to get attention, is simply stupid.

However, if you are looking for something disgustingly loud, I would stick with the Audiobahns you have, or get some of their Immortal series. Get someone to build you a big-ass ported box (I know I fit ~4 cubic feet in my accord, you could go bigger though) and tune it to ~45 hz and you'll have a ride that can be heard from blocks away.

If you're looking for something that retains some sound quality while you're at it, look into a pair of Brahmas (www.adireaudio.com for a dealers list) or Resonant Engineering's XXX subwoofers (www.reaudio.com I believe you can email them for prices, 12" XXXs go for ~$400, 15" ~$450, 18" ~$500 IIRC). These woofers will give you outstanding sound quality while still beating the shit out of your ears.

TheWatcher
07-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Bwahaha. You don't need to sound so bitter ;)

acessence, it all comes down to what you want out of your system. It sounds like you want something retardedly loud, that will make neighbors and law enforcement angry, and makes kids with systems all seem like the enemy. This is not so good. Creating such a system for competition for one thing, "street beating" or whatever you want to call it, to get attention, is simply stupid.
Word. Home audio, which has all the very best components is all about sound quality and imaging. NOT who's house can irritate the neighbors most. I really don't understand the SPL over sound quality mentality (I agree, it's retarded. Like an attention whore yelling, "look at me). Yet 90% of the questions on this board are essentially SPL questions not sound quality. So I never respond to those threads.

Finally someone said, what I have been wanting to say.

But it takes every kind of people.

Peace.

crazykamper
06-20-2006, 08:26 AM
sorry to bring back from dead

i wanna build a system, that SOUNDS good, and yet kicks hard as hell when i want it too, im looking for something that i could still fit my surboard in the trunk (with seat down obviously.....)

thanks!

spnrx
06-20-2006, 10:28 AM
then buy one kicker L7 or 4 kicker Comps. Those kick hard! Check em out!

crazykamper
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
will take alook at that. what kinda box and amp should i look for?

87DXHatch
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
will take alook at that. what kinda box and amp should i look for?
Kicker = Overpriced mediocre subs. Almost all "mainstream" brands will over-promise and under-deliver, all for a price that makes the baby Jesus weep.

www.edesignaudio.com <-- I have bought numerous subs from Elemental Designs and they have all beat the pants off the more expensive mainstream brands that my friends have had, all at around half the price. I will sorely miss the e15a 15" sub that I had in my Paseo, which was stolen about three weeks ago. 33 mm of xmax + extremely linear motor = sooo good.

Your box will depend on the sub and what you're looking for in terms of volume, "accuracy," size, low-end extension, and wattage. Describe what you're looking for and I/we can help you figure out what you're going to want. One thing is for sure, you will want to build it yourself or have a carpenter-friend do it.

As for amps, get something that produces the RMS power you want for the cheapest price you can find, but avoid shitty brands like Pyramid, Boss, American Legacy, and a bunch of other brands I can't remember. You should be paying ~$200-$300 for ~1000 watts RMS.

ghettogeddy
06-20-2006, 11:57 AM
im runing a single alpine type r 10" and an audiobahn 800 watt mono block and that thig puts out some clean heavy bass

crazykamper
06-20-2006, 12:15 PM
oh, well good to know ^, im looking for something that will hit REALLY HARD, but will still be accurate, and not just be all over the place, my bro had 2 12' rockford fosgates, a pos box with window, and a sony amp(yeah i know, biggest pile of shtuff.) and it kicked the shtuff outof his truck, while still bieng on beat and sounding nice (maybe cause its right behind him....)

im looking for something, that is around 700-800$ MAX, cause i most likely will be borrowing the $$, i will be runnin an older Xplod ghostface deck. and ive already got speakers, (no amp.....). i will be taking (out of bros truck) his speakers, and they hit bass REALLY hard, i will probably put them up front, or somehow wire up both of them, so that i have a total of 6 speakers....

crazykamper
06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
also, one q, have you ever used thier sound deadner??? it looks tempting. has anybody used it?? feedback on it wanted.... and wich one is better/worse than what....

ghettogeddy
06-20-2006, 03:13 PM
i have dinomat on my volvo and would say its worth the money but it is just tar paper ive seen regular expansion foam work as well but all u really want to do is remove the flex from large areas of body panals such as the trunk lid so use small amounts just to reduce flex

crazykamper
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
thanks for the tip! basically, (scince i prob wont be using the liquid kind, or is it any better?) i just apply everything in small pieces, and in doors i would mainly wanna do the inside of the door skin? thanks!

TdotWarrior
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
get a rockford faucegate and u'll be ballin

MessyHonda
07-16-2006, 08:36 PM
dinomat or dynamat? is that a knock off? my friend works at best buy i want to get the trunk kit....some foo had some on craigslist and he wanted 100 firm for a max pack or something....well like you knoe the amp and sub have to be similar in specs....so a nice JL w3 or w6 would bump in a honda....just dont get it jacked

Hash_man_Se_i
07-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Don't get dynomat crap... get some Cascade audio VB2.

All dynomat is is tar, and it weighs a shitload too. Cascade audio stuff is a much better product IMO.

catalin
07-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Cascade IS shit! I have used it and it doesn't bend at all.. heating it does help but it still breaks up quite is when hot and it looks terrible.

Sorry to jump you, but I've heard this before from others. Are the Cascade retailers telling you that their product is lighter? Do they know how to silenc metal panels? Simple concept really... Weight, the more there the less likely metal will resonate. If you're going to use sound deadner you need to understand and accept the fact that it'll weigh your vehicle down.

ghettogeddy
07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
and when he says waigh it down he means waigh it down a 100 doller box of dino mat ways like 25 lbs and that was just the trunk lid kit