PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control SLOW to engage

Morthane
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
On my '86, it takes an agonizingly long time for the cruise control to engage after pressing the SET button. Is that standard?

AccordNut
06-20-2005, 06:20 PM
so when you press the button once the c/c engages after a long period of time? or are you pushing it over and over until it cuts on? also do you drive a stick? sometimes even if you have your foot on the clutch the c/c wont cut on b/c if the pedal is in even the slightest bit it cuts the c/c off.

Morthane
06-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I have automatic (beggars can't be choosers)

Here's what I do...

NOTE: c/c toggle button (located on the left, has a little green light, etc) is pressed in either before step 1 or after step 1.

1. Get car up to highway speed on level ground (let's just say 55mph for a reference point).
2. Press and let go of set/decel button
3. Hold gas pedal at 53mph
4. Wait for c/c to engage (takes over a minute, I timed it once but forgot the exact time)

spoon611
06-25-2005, 11:19 PM
My 86 LX-i does that too, but after I push the cruise button I let the gas go...it would slowly decelerate and around 5mph slower it would start to kick in and slowly accelerate to the set speed. Kinda wierd I thought, but it worked. Maybe you can give that a try if you haven't yet.

Why does it do that? I dunno, but until it breaks I won't worry about it.

POS carb
06-26-2005, 09:10 AM
there may be too much slack in the acutator cable or you have a vacuum leak (also can be caused by a leaky diaphragm in the actuator)

Download the shop manual pdf and run through the testing procedures

lostforawhile
06-26-2005, 10:44 AM
1. check that actuator cable operates smoothly with no binding or sticking 2. start engine 3. measure amount of movement of actuator rod until until cable pulls on accelerator lever (engine speed startsto increase) free play should be 11mm+-1.5 mm 4. if free play is not within specs loosen locknut and turn adjusting nut as required. 5. retighten locknut and recheck free play. 6. test car under drive to be sure overshoot and undershoot are held within +-2mph of set speed. Note: if necessary check throttle cable free play and recheck actuator rod free play Inyour case Iwould test the check valve at the vaccume resevoir also if that canister can't maintain enough vaccume there won't be enough engine vaccume to operate the actuator properly