PDA

View Full Version : something wrong with my engine or tranny?

newaccorddriver
06-20-2005, 08:09 PM
i have an automatic transmission in an 86 exi, recently when ive been driving, i notice that the revs jump all over the place with no speed changes. i keep my foot steady on the gas pedal and i noticed that my engine revs really high then drops back down and keeps doing it over and over again every few minutes

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
anything know what can be wrong with it?

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2005, 01:24 PM
does your engine really rev up or is it just your tach?

1987HondaAccord
06-21-2005, 02:38 PM
does it happen when you try to speed up? or when you are cruising?

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 05:22 PM
the tach goes up and i can hear the engine go up as well. it happens when im both cruising and speeding up, but when i speed up its slightly worse cause it goes up to about 4k withno speed change then it starts to move up slowly. when cruising it jumps up to about 5k then drops back down to 2.3k

it was very odd cause theres no speed change but theres a change in the engine speed

1987HondaAccord
06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
does it happen in all gears, or just in the top gear? i'd say its a tranny problem, since you can hear the engine rev up as well. my auto used to slip when i was driving on the freeway. it made it really hard to accellerate, because the engine would speed up, but the tranny wouldn't. it would rev up, grab (rpms go back down), and then do it again. over and over. so now i have a manual tranny.

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 07:04 PM
does it happen in all gears, or just in the top gear? i'd say its a tranny problem, since you can hear the engine rev up as well. my auto used to slip when i was driving on the freeway. it made it really hard to accellerate, because the engine would speed up, but the tranny wouldn't. it would rev up, grab (rpms go back down), and then do it again. over and over. so now i have a manual tranny.

yes it happens in ALL gears

what is transmission slip and is it common among all transmissions or just ones with high milage or defective parts?

it started slipping on the first day i drove it, then it didnt slip for a couple weeks, now its acting up all over again

edit: because my transmission is probably slipping, i almost got in an accident on the highway today coming back into edmonton. i turned in on a merge lane and i couldnt accelerate fast enough so the guy behind me almost rear ended my car :uh:

snoopyloopy
06-21-2005, 08:11 PM
maybe check the torque converter. since it is a fluid set-up in there, i'm guessing the problem could be with that.

1ajs
06-21-2005, 09:23 PM
sugestion next time that happens put your hazards so you don't get rear ended

newaccorddriver
06-21-2005, 10:06 PM
sugestion next time that happens put your hazards so you don't get rear ended

its not that i cant reach highway speeds its just that it takes a little longer to get there