PDA

View Full Version : 1989 LXI brakes

wallacefan
06-22-2005, 07:59 AM
I have a lxi and the drivers side brakes got reallly tight
i just put all new calipers and pads on it was fine then as i drove they tightned up

so i brought it in bled both fronts

took it out and drove it the same thing happened

not sure where to go now master cylinder?
caliper?

help not sure what to do

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

newaccorddriver
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
can you be more specific? what do you mean they got really tight? where to be exact

wallacefan
06-22-2005, 09:14 AM
they basically locked up

jacking the car up wit both hands and all my might i can just spin the wheel
the othr side spins with one finger

so i pushed the pads back and bled them and the wheel spun fine drove around the block and came back jacked it up and no spin again

Moodybluesr
06-22-2005, 10:07 AM
When you replaced the pads did you re-grease the caliper slides? Were the dust boots damaged? If so, did you repalce them (and re-grease the slides)?

wallacefan
06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
brand new calipers checked and were greased from manufacturer

gfrg88
06-22-2005, 11:02 AM
that same thing happenes to me change the maste cylinder.

wallacefan
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
if it was the master cylinder wouldnt both front wheels have the problem

one line goes to prop valve then splits to 2 fronts one to each so if it was the master then both fronts should be bad right???

Vanilla Sky
06-22-2005, 11:50 AM
it's a diagonal system. it would be front driver and rear passenger.

wallacefan
06-22-2005, 12:04 PM
both rears spin fine

Robs89LXi
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Can you take it back to where you bought it?

Blkblurr
06-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Check to see if you put a twist in your brake line on the wheel that is tight. If you did it will do just what you discribed. You can get brake fluid to the wheel cylinder but the spring force to push the fluid back out of the cylinder is not enough to get past the twisted hose.

wallacefan
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
no twists or kinks in the hose

Blkblurr
06-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Sounds like a bad wheel cylinder. I know you said the caloper was new but you never know.

smufguy
06-23-2005, 06:49 AM
if the caliper keeps freezing, you should get a new caliper. Even tho u said u did get one, its better that u get another one and give this one back. I get my parts from autozone and they never go bad for me. Always lube the guide pin on the top and the guide bolt on the bottom with HIGH TEMP Grease or Synthetic Grease like MOBIL 1 (the best stuff, and i use it on my brakes all the time). You should also lube the caliper contact points with anti rattle grease and same applies to the brake pad clips on the top and bottom.

If you did all these and they are still going bad. Try to switch out the prop valve and see what happens, if it does not change still, try to get another master cylinder and see if it fixes it. A caliper freezes only if the piston gets rusted or the boot gets torn and dirt/sand gets in there and chokes it.

wallacefan
06-23-2005, 07:11 AM
what do you mean wheel cylinder the fronts are disc with calipers

88eyeguy
06-23-2005, 08:22 AM
sounds like a seized piston in the caliper. were the calipers remanufactured?

wallacefan
06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
yes they were preloaded calipers from napa

Blkblurr
06-23-2005, 03:55 PM
what do you mean wheel cylinder the fronts are disc with calipers
The wheel cylinder is the cylinder in the caliper that pushes the pads against the rotor. Wheel or brake cylinder as opposed to master cylinder. i agree with Smufguy. take the caliper back and get another one.

smufguy
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Blkblurr is refering to the same thing but we call it the piston for the front. and the wheel cylinder is often refered to the drum brake set up.

There is no way a good rebuilt caliper should be freezing on you over and over again. and i never get anything from napa solely for the reason of i hate their service and their prices are just off the hook. I trust autozone and i know as long as i have my recipt or my name in the warrenty on their system, im good to go for however long i want.

ps: i just replaced my driverside caliper and rotor last week and both were got purchased from autozone and they are working properly. (i replaced the pads too by the way :) )

POS carb
06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
maybe just need a new caliper... I had something similar happen maybe this would help you diagnose the situation...

I had one of the two 17mm bolts on the caliper fall off and the caliper rocked forward and started to lock up... maybe you just have a poorly mounted pad? Also make sure the check valve on the brake booster is good.

wallacefan
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
i replaced the caliper didnt work
cheked the prop valve it was fine

so i replaced the master and it fixed it!!!

gfrg88
06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
if it was the master cylinder wouldnt both front wheels have the problem

one line goes to prop valve then splits to 2 fronts one to each so if it was the master then both fronts should be bad right???

on my car it was only the frony passenger side that was locking up and we changed the master cylinder and i havent had no prob since....

edit: see i was right:D

wallacefan
06-24-2005, 06:19 PM
sure now you tell me
i changed the caliper and did checks on the proop valve then replaced the master cyl

that fixed just like yours where were ya 12 hours ago? hehehehehe

thanx guys