PDA

View Full Version : 88dx mt carb question

gold88dx
06-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I broke the bottom plate on the mt carb, so its junk. Can I use an 89 automatic carb, as I have access to a rebuilt one? Thanks in advance.

Tha Realist
06-23-2005, 08:24 AM
you can use the carb off the AT but you have to change the little vacuum canister on the back of the new carb (drivers side) and put the old one back on. ATs have two vacuum lines coming off MTs have only one

lostforawhile
06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I broke the bottom plate on the mt carb, so its junk. Can I use an 89 automatic carb, as I have access to a rebuilt one? Thanks in advance.when you say plate do you mean the throttle body assembly? i could sell you one reasonable i've got several

A20A1
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Are you refering to a vacuum holding cannister a thermovalve or the A/C idle boost diaphragm?
Manual and Auto carbs are the same but the vacuum wiring is a little different.
The A/C idle boost will have 2 vacuum port... you just plug the unused vacuum port if you use the auto carb on a manual carb, no need to swap diaphragms. The diaphragm is built in layers so that you can add or remove the extra vacuum port and self convert the auto 2 port to a manual 1 port A/c idle boost. But still it's better just to plug the extra port unless you plan on rebuilding the carb.

Do you mean the EFE plate? the brown/black plate under the carb?

A20A1
06-23-2005, 01:19 PM
The automatic carb also may use a different throttle linkage if the Throttle value cable went to the carb instread of the accelerator pedal. I pretty sure it's okay to use the auto linkage though, it wont get in the way.

A20A1
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
The automatic carb also may use a different throttle linkage if the Throttle value cable went to the carb instread of the accelerator pedal. I pretty sure it's okay to use the auto linkage though, it wont get in the way.