PDA

View Full Version : Those damn front rotors

pimp86LX
08-10-2002, 04:34 AM
well i was out today tryin to get my front rotor off to get turned...but how do i get it off??? it says theres 2 bolts that hold it on and i can see those. my problem is with the 17mm bolts holding the caliper bracket on..i cannot get those things lose for the life of me!!!! i tryed a breaker bar and i broke a wrench..i don't have a johnson bar so i'm kinda limited for options

can someone who's had experience please give me some insight

pimp86LX
08-10-2002, 05:54 AM
just keepin it alive

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-10-2002, 06:51 AM
When I did my rotors I got all but 1 of those damn bolts out. And it wasn't easy, believe me, lol. I ended up just taking it to a shop and they used the BIG torch on it, and it finally broke loose (after it got glowing red, hehe). Just be sure and use EXACTLY the right size socket. I used a 12 point instead of a 6 point (because that was all I had) and it went sideways and stripped the nut. :mad

:)

ACCORD EX
08-10-2002, 01:16 PM
i used a meter long pipe and stepped on it to get it loose !
BTW to get the rotors out you don't need to get the caliper mounting bolt out ! just remove the 2 screws that holding the rotor , use a big hammer to tap on the rotor ( the center ) several times until it falls ! :D

MIKE

pimp86LX
08-10-2002, 07:11 PM
well i got a johnsen bar and broke the two 17mm bolts. but now i can't get those freakin screws out...they looked like they've been forced out with a centre punch before...its ghetto..i can't do much as it is, let alont hold a freakin impact driver..faack

anchovies
08-10-2002, 10:41 PM
i hate stripped bolts
and screws
try an impact driver for the screws...if it's stripped

mike_fx_u
08-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Iam replacing the engine in my 89 accord Lxi I have been using my 12 point sockets mostly, they F-ing suck. I tryed a six point socket and they bite like hell and just do the job great, anything difficult they work great on. But I will soon get my self a set of 6 points because you can almost not mess up the head of a bolt with a 6 point unless u tryed previously with a 12 point. If you have a Big Lots in your town they got a set of impact quality 6 points for like $5. Iam removing my engine today after I get some chain for the hoist(lift). Cant wait to get the Honda back up and running. I just hope the damn A/C will still work(FL).

Hope this helps
Mike
[email protected]

pimp86LX
08-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by mike_fx_u
Iam replacing the engine in my 89 accord Lxi I have been using my 12 point sockets mostly, they F-ing suck. I tryed a six point socket and they bite like hell and just do the job great, anything difficult they work great on. But I will soon get my self a set of 6 points because you can almost not mess up the head of a bolt with a 6 point unless u tryed previously with a 12 point. If you have a Big Lots in your town they got a set of impact quality 6 points for like $5. Iam removing my engine today after I get some chain for the hoist(lift). Cant wait to get the Honda back up and running. I just hope the damn A/C will still work(FL).

Hope this helps
Mike
[email protected]

its the screws that arn't budging, but i agree that the 6 point socekts work the best

dXsquared
08-11-2002, 09:44 AM
you need a thing called an impact screwdriver or impact gun. they both require a large star screwdrive socket(.5 inch) and the screwdriver works by hitting the end wit a hammer and the gun is pneumatic
Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
08-11-2002, 09:48 AM
I had the same problem. The screw's wouldn't budge. I used a easy out and a 6lbs mini sludge hammer. I convinced them to come out:D :D

pimp86LX
08-11-2002, 09:56 AM
:omg: dang, can i buy new ones that fit from somewere? aka dealer etc.. etc.

p.s. i already have an impact driver

ACCORD EX
08-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
:omg: dang, can i buy new ones that fit from somewere? aka dealer etc.. etc.

p.s. i already have an impact driver

yes you can buy new ones ! and new ones also come with the rotors !
but tehy are not that important ! while the wheel nuts are holding the whole assembly to the hub !

MIKE

pimp86LX
08-11-2002, 06:29 PM
whoo hooo my old man came home and gave it hell. He got the screws losened but there screwed..lol parden the pun. I bought new screws and the rotars get turned tommorow

whoo hooo! :devil:

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-11-2002, 07:15 PM
I had alot of trouble with those stupid little screws too. I ended up carefully drilling them out (don't go crazy or you could f**k up the hub). Then I used a tap & die to rethread the hub, and put new screws in. It's not perfect, but it worked great! I'd recommend going to a hardware store and getting better screws that are a tad bit longer. I can't remember the number of the screw....I "think" it was 6 x 100 (not sure if that makes any sense, but that number sticks in my head). The Honda ones are brass or something and strip very easily (I got some from the dealer at first), whereas the ones I got from Ace Hardware were harder and didn't strip. ;)

pimp86LX
08-11-2002, 07:40 PM
the dealer ones are brass!!??! nuts to that, i'll go get some stainless steel ones and use some anti-seize

thanks guys!