PDA

View Full Version : electrical fault or mechanical fault?

newaccorddriver
06-23-2005, 09:49 AM
today when i was driving, i noticed that my car wouldnt move out of first gear. inorder to get it out of first gear i had to put it in D2 which would make the engine rev a bit higher then drop the rpms down a bit. then i would be able to put it into D3 then finally D4 and it would work again fianlly. the weird thing about putting it into D4 is that driving at 60km/h it would usually rev at about 2200rpm, but it was actually revving at 1800rpm or so. i figured it was stuck in overdrive or something. sometimes in D4 going at 60km/h it would stay at about 4000rpm which would be high, and to lower it i would have to let my foot off the gas and itll drop down to about 1800rpm.

does anybody know whats wrong with my transmission? i have a gut feeling that the problem might be electrical but there is a possibility that it is mechanical as well. if anybody can answer this for me that would be great :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

POS carb
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
the 3gee transmissions are 100% mechanical...
That's usually the first sign the governer is going out, flush the fluids, replace it with a bottle of lucas auto transmission fluid treatment and fill the rest with dextron III. also verify your TV cable slack

newaccorddriver
06-23-2005, 08:51 PM
i thought that lucas stuff was just like every other product that promises all the advantages they cant deliver

POS carb
06-24-2005, 11:24 AM
maybe so but before my auto died I used that as a temporary fix so I could keep drving to work... it helps the valves that are stuck due to metal fragments get loose. It won't fix it 100% but it can help clean out your tranny a bit.
Also there is no filter you can change on the tranny without tearing it apart, it is under all the valvebodies

Versanick
06-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Lucas really coats all the parts extremely well. if your engine starts making noises, valve noises, bottom end noises, add one quart of lucas to your oil change (replace a quart of oil) or up to 80% (maybe 100%?) lucas for more... it raises fuel pressure, coats everything so that, right on startup, there's oil on the piston skirts, on your rods, in your head, and everywhere oil will end up being. so startups don't do as much damage.

the transmission fluid reduces friction big time and coats things. it'll increase fluid pressure there too, to get parts that haven't had fluid on them in a long time (probably part of the problem)... no matter what, the lucas will do something good. I'm not big on brand names for stuff like that, but I'd add lucas to my oil any damn day. any of my oil

dead serious

newaccorddriver
06-24-2005, 08:58 PM
i guess i can try it, itll be a temporary fix to my somewhat pernament problem