PDA

View Full Version : wax on

mr eff
06-23-2005, 11:46 AM
hey folks,

i wanted to get a list of peoples' preferred hand-wax for their cars (doesn't have to be 3g only, if you use a special wax on a special car, i'm curious!)

if you could post:

1) name, brand
2) cost
3) effectiveness/ease of application

i would be thrilled, and i'm sure other members could use the info too

SteveDX89
06-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I just need to know what wax doesn't go on clear or light colored. I can't see the shit. :sad2: :banghead:

HostileJava
06-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Well I used to use whatever they had at the autocar wash, till the car was dropped, now i catch on the damn track. I've just been using turtle wax, seems to work good.

jigga225
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I use turtle wax emerald series. Round 7 bux.
also KIT wax round 6 bux

AccordEpicenter
06-23-2005, 02:30 PM
i like the mothers pure wax. It did cost like $15 but it seemed to last the longest and give better shine than turtle wax etc

frankie89
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
well just putting in my .02 i dont use wax cuz you cant wax primer.. :Owned2:

5spdaccordlxi
06-23-2005, 04:01 PM
eagle one liquid wax dries up white and gives good shine

88accordhb
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
turtle wax, i use the buffer spinny thingy

ICEMAN707
06-23-2005, 06:05 PM
when i did car detailing, i used mother's and meguiar's carnauba waxes. i also like to use claybar sometimes but that's really expensive stuff. but lately i've been using mr.clean autodry car wash system...but that's only if you have a new car or a newly painted car that's already shiny and doesn't really need hand waxing. i wouldn't wax a car with a faded clearcoat anyways.

Busted_Blue
06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I used meguiars paste wax. Mother's clay bar first...then.. the paste wax and let it sit for about 4hours in the garage then buff it off and apply meguairs number 7 or hi-tech wax.

3rdGenHatchBack
06-24-2005, 03:15 PM
the best wax i have EVER found is called "zymol" its about 12 bucks a bottle but WELL, WELL worth it, not only does it give a very long lasting shine, but it has teflon in it, so it repels dirt and other crap, and to make matters better....it actually takes out small surface abrasions and light oxidation

hondaaccord_86
06-24-2005, 08:44 PM
turtle wax. i use the round sponge thing with it. easy to use. just apply onto the car and rub out. best used after car is washed, with moist round sponge thing.

mr eff
06-24-2005, 09:20 PM
this is all great information, thanks for the input.

what's the main difference between "solid" and liquid waxes? and what's the best applicator to use, if there is really such a thing

1320boy
06-24-2005, 09:29 PM
I've used Meguier's NXT GEN TEC wax for about a 7 months. Its the best that i have ever used. I've been detailing for 10 years and used just about every wax, polish, and poly cleaners and this one go's on.... And come's right off. It brightend up my car and enhanced the color like it was freshly painted. Other than my black fender and a few minor inperfections the paint looks new. Give it a shot... :)

blahblahblah
06-26-2005, 09:18 AM
1.Liquid Glass. Polish/Finish.
2.$20 16oz tin
3.Not the easiest stuff to us...But I can say....Its the hardest next to getting a clear coat.And has a minty smell...

The Liquid Glass is not really a wax...I us it once a year (after winter)on the paint...I use KIT wax on top for the rest of the year...If anyone trys Liquid Glass...PLEASE read the directions...It will make any car shine like new if used right

mr eff
06-27-2005, 02:20 PM
cloud cover and a few hours off means a shiny car!!

using:
http://accord.chocolatethought.com/pictures/accord_waxoff5r.jpg

starts out like:
http://accord.chocolatethought.com/pictures/accord_waxon3r.jpg

and ends up like!
http://accord.chocolatethought.com/pictures/accord_waxoff3r.jpg

wee!

1320boy
06-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Dont you just love it! :lol:

Busted_Blue
06-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Ewww you touched your trim with it. No wonder it fades.. =P

Just kidding..how that trim magic blackener stuff I gave ya is working out well, cause I don't have access to them anymore.

mr eff
06-28-2005, 06:49 AM
it's great... stoner's trim magic it's called! i've got some left. this was my first wax job, next time i'll do better at avoiding stuff. i was too caught up in trying to cover EVERYTHING, heh

w00tw00t111
06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
I've used Meguier's NXT GEN TEC wax for about a 7 months. Its the best that i have ever used. I've been detailing for 10 years and used just about every wax, polish, and poly cleaners and this one go's on.... And come's right off. It brightend up my car and enhanced the color like it was freshly painted. Other than my black fender and a few minor inperfections the paint looks new. Give it a shot... :)
Actually I just bought this stuff. Tonight and put it on at about 11:00pm. I Love it!!!! I found out that I ran out of miguires gold class wax and had just enough to cover the hood. I then bought the liquid NXT wax and did the rest of the car. I was washing/waxing my dad's acura which has a pearl white paint job. With the NXT wax I have literally never ever seen such a deep pearl finish. It is absoultely wonderful! Like 1320boy I have been washing/waxing cars since I was about 10 and I'm 17 so I've tried a bunch of different products. The least favorite of mine was turtle wax. I abosultey hated it!! The gold class was nice but now that the NXT came out it is wonderful!

I do have a question has anyone tried the new Eagle one Tech wax? It's supposed to have nanotechnology in it that will fill minor scratches and all of that.

2nd Can you apply wax by hand and then use a buffer to get it off? I normally will use the little sponge discs to apply it by hand. Then let it dry and get all white. Then I will use a "holey" terry cloth. It's hard to explain but it's basically a little ruff cloth. Then I go back with a high fiber count cloth. Kind of like "the absorber". This provides a good finish but, now that I have the buffer I wanted to know what y'all do with it? Do you hand apply and then use the buffer to get it off? Or vice versa?

Baveara
06-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Actually I just bought this stuff. Tonight and put it on at about 11:00pm. I Love it!!!! I found out that I ran out of miguires gold class wax and had just enough to cover the hood. I then bought the liquid NXT wax and did the rest of the car. I was washing/waxing my dad's acura which has a pearl white paint job. With the NXT wax I have literally never ever seen such a deep pearl finish. It is absoultely wonderful! Like 1320boy I have been washing/waxing cars since I was about 10 and I'm 17 so I've tried a bunch of different products. The least favorite of mine was turtle wax. I abosultey hated it!! The gold class was nice but now that the NXT came out it is wonderful!

I do have a question has anyone tried the new Eagle one Tech wax? It's supposed to have nanotechnology in it that will fill minor scratches and all of that.

2nd Can you apply wax by hand and then use a buffer to get it off? I normally will use the little sponge discs to apply it by hand. Then let it dry and get all white. Then I will use a "holey" terry cloth. It's hard to explain but it's basically a little ruff cloth. Then I go back with a high fiber count cloth. Kind of like "the absorber". This provides a good finish but, now that I have the buffer I wanted to know what y'all do with it? Do you hand apply and then use the buffer to get it off? Or vice versa?

it's accually vice versa. u won't believe the people that ask me that question at the shop. i guess most people just don't know. :cool:

1320boy
06-28-2005, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=w00tw00t111]I do have a question has anyone tried the new Eagle one Tech wax? It's supposed to have nanotechnology in it that will fill minor scratches and all of that.

Y'know i'll give it a shot and let you know the result.

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 08:27 AM
(on my 240) thorough wash, then claybar (expensive!), Meguiars Fine-Cut Paint Cleaner to remove any light scratches picked up going through construction zones, then Meguiars Polish, followed up by Meguiars NXT Gen. wax if i haven't waxed it in a while, Meguiars Carnuba Wax before a show or meet, or Meguiars Gold Class for just cruisin' on the weekends. This is from four years of detailing cars. I used Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax on the 3g while I had it, since the paint was already so oxidized that I couldn't do much more than mask the problem...

Edit i never use a buffer except on the cleaner.

w00tw00t111
06-29-2005, 08:55 AM
There is also a new product on the market for all of you guys that don't have a clear coat any more. I believe it is called "Nu Finish" I haven't ever tried it but, from the articles I have read and the commericials that I have seen it's supposed to be like a polisher for your paint and give you the "look" of clear coat. I don't know if any of y'all have tried that but, for the guys with oxidation it should be a good thing to try. Hey 88eyeguy. You said that you use a clay bar. I was thinking of doing a complete detail for my dad's acura. It has a bunch of sap from trees and scratches and all of that. The plan of attack I was going to use was use a clay bar, then use a polishing compound, then a carnuba wax. The only concern I have is...
A) I just waxed his car
B) Is teh carnuba wax more for shine and not so much for protection? Like is it specifically for show cars?
Thanks

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 09:24 AM
just use a mild soap (like Dawn) to help remove the old wax when you wash the car, then the clay will remove the rest of it. carnuba gives decent protection, but i prefer the Gold Class to protect the car from the sun (can't keep mine in a grage). the carnuba really needs to be reapplied every two-four weeks to keep up that deep shine, though. If your dad's car is garage kept and doesn't sit in the sun for long periods of time, (and he/you don't mind waxing it fairly often) then the carnuba is the wax to go with. If not, then I would go with Gold Class. that should last up to six months if you wash the car faithfully.

TTSpider
06-29-2005, 12:31 PM
I use Nu Finish, works good for me.

w00tw00t111
06-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I use Nu Finish, works good for me.
It does? Cool I've seen the comericials and it really does seem to make the paint look like new. Does it truthfully work that good? Or is that a bit of an exageration?

88eyeguy or any other car washing pro's out there. The source of my income is washing/waxing cars. If I was to wash the car, clay bar it, "polish" it, and then wax it what do you think would be a fair price to charge him. Keep in mind that he likes to think of himself as a customer not a family member when dealing with money.

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
the shop charged 120 for a detail, but that was inside work too, so...i'd say you could charge anywhere between 35 and 50 dollars and still be reasonable. remember the hours that go into using clay. it usually takes me 4-7 hours to detail a car like i described and 7-10 hours to detail a large van, suv, or truck.

w00tw00t111
06-29-2005, 06:10 PM
the shop charged 120 for a detail, but that was inside work too, so...i'd say you could charge anywhere between 35 and 50 dollars and still be reasonable. remember the hours that go into using clay. it usually takes me 4-7 hours to detail a car like i described and 7-10 hours to detail a large van, suv, or truck.
I spent 2 hours waxing and he paid me $20. I might need to go up a bit on my rates :P
Edit: What did they do to your interior?

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 06:51 PM
shampoo the carpets, steam clean all the trim and seats, and coat the trim in ArmorAll. using a steamer in a dark colored car in the texas sun is no picnic.

w00tw00t111
06-29-2005, 07:08 PM
shampoo the carpets, steam clean all the trim and seats, and coat the trim in ArmorAll. using a steamer in a dark colored car in the texas sun is no picnic.
I live in Houston. Is it b/c you can't see where you have steemed and where you haven't? Also,when you say steam cleaned are you talking about cloth seats? B/c my dad has leather seats and so I use leather "wax" on those. Also do you have a carpet shampoo that you recommend? Thanks for all the help!

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 07:15 PM
actually it's because is freakin hot outside. while you can steam leather seats, i wouldn't recommend it unless the steamer has a soft head attachment so you don't tear up the leather. darn... i'll have to check to see what shampoo we used. typically, i would say to look for a car upholstery concentrate, and put the diluted solution in a spray bottle to apply to the carpet. you can even use the shampoo on the trim to clean it. i'll get back to you tomorrow on the exact shampoo we use, but most concentrates you find at O'Reilly Auto Parts or AutoZone will work.

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
as long as they aren't suede iwould recomend using old fashiond saddle soap and a soft horsehair brush on leather seats. i like to use meguires leather wipes after they are cleaned to protect them. the saddle soap really brings back that new car smell. it's been used since well since who knows when and still works just as well as it ever did. i did all my own upholstery and am VERY picky about what i use. http://photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/th_Image00018.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00019.jpg

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 01:15 AM
actually it's because is freakin hot outside. while you can steam leather seats, i wouldn't recommend it unless the steamer has a soft head attachment so you don't tear up the leather. darn... i'll have to check to see what shampoo we used. typically, i would say to look for a car upholstery concentrate, and put the diluted solution in a spray bottle to apply to the carpet. you can even use the shampoo on the trim to clean it. i'll get back to you tomorrow on the exact shampoo we use, but most concentrates you find at O'Reilly Auto Parts or AutoZone will work.
6years and a collection of cup holdersthat don't fit. :lol:

w00tw00t111
07-04-2005, 09:15 AM
as long as they aren't suede iwould recomend using old fashiond saddle soap and a soft horsehair brush on leather seats. i like to use meguires leather wipes after they are cleaned to protect them. the saddle soap really brings back that new car smell. it's been used since well since who knows when and still works just as well as it ever did. i did all my own upholstery and am VERY picky about what i use. http://photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/th_Image00018.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00019.jpg
You sewed your own interior? It looks really really nice and I usually am not a fan of leather interior. I'm planning on re-doing mine. Do ya have any suggestions? Any good books that could help? I have a friend that redid the interior in his boat and he said he would help me.

w00tw00t111
07-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey guys I bought the meguires clay bar kit, and meguirs polish. I'm planning on using it tomorrow. But I have a question. After I use the clay bar should I use some rubbing compound and then the polish and then the wax? Or just the clay bar, polish, and wax?

lostforawhile
07-08-2005, 05:06 PM
You sewed your own interior? It looks really really nice and I usually am not a fan of leather interior. I'm planning on re-doing mine. Do ya have any suggestions? Any good books that could help? I have a friend that redid the interior in his boat and he said he would help me.
you could take a sewing class at a local college or something like it that would help and yes guys sewwe just sew cool stuff. it's really a lot of practice, i have a knack for streching material that i didn't know i had i tried this several times before i got it right. if you have some help that would be a great asset to have. watching someone is better then reading a book anyday. this was supposed to be a kit for the seats, i didn't know it wasn't sewn together yet. the picture showed it sewn, but it was cut out pieces of material. i guess it was a suggestion on how it was supposed to look. as far as the door panels and the rest that is my design it came with a couple extra pieces of material and i designed from that. thats why the door panels are a split.

88eyeguy
07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
you could use the compound if the paint is oxidized or has swirl marks, but if not it would just be a waste of energy.

w00tw00t111
07-08-2005, 10:13 PM
you could use the compound if the paint is oxidized or has swirl marks, but if not it would just be a waste of energy.
Oh k. That's what I thought. But I figured someone here would have a definite answer. Thanks

gp02a0083
07-09-2005, 07:07 AM
yah 3rdgenhatchback uses the same stuff that my dad does on his black truck that zymol stuff is good but being that ive worked in body shopd and been "spoiled " on how to polish a car i use mothers products there all really good but if i can i use a 7" polishing buffer and light compound from a company called ARADEX but the stuff is expensive

w00tw00t111
07-10-2005, 07:03 PM
well I spent 8 hours on saturday and then 3 hours today detailing the outside of my dad's Acura RL. On saturday I used a meguires clay bar. I steped back from the car to see what I thought. It did a good job but not good enough. Some of the scratches it didn't get out and stuff like that. So I took out my 3m Fine-Cut Rubbing compound and applied it with my buffer. I then wiped it off with my terry cloth. (it didn't come of easy at all) When I stepped back it looked really good. Almost all of the scratches were gone and it was smooth as glass. So then I broke out my foam pad attached it to my buffer and used my meguires polishing compound w/ a tad bit off water for lube. Well, by the time that I had wiped it all off it was almost midnight and my arm felt like it was about to fall off. (It didn't help any that I spent thursday and friday in the body shop hand sanding my car, sub box, and custom kick panels all day) So after I went to church this morning I came home to find that it was raining :(. After church tonight I came home and started the waxing process with a super fine foam pad. It was meguires NXT wax. After I finished buffing it all off. I came back w/ mother's back to black and mothers chrome polish. Then I cleaned the windows and called it a night. Needless to say with all of the hours spent on it I hope the result is as good as I think it will be. I can't wait to drive it outside and just let the sun hit it!
Also does anyone have any suggestions on what carpet shampoo to use? Or would a rented steam cleaner from kroger/safe-way be better? Thanks!