PDA

View Full Version : Engine start up question!?

Pana23
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I have a 89 LX Accord...

My car seems to have a hard time "starting" even though I just Bought a new starter a month ago....Im aware that carb motors have a tough time trying to start when the engine is cold.........Is there anything I can do about this? I want the engine to turn as soon as i turn the key switch.......would a Ignition Amplifiar be Ideal for my Carb Engine???? :idea: :idea: :cool:

AccordNut
06-23-2005, 08:35 PM
i dont have a carb but you really need to provide more info on why it has a hard time starting otherwise no one knows what to tell you

Pana23
06-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Well from what I know from my Carb Engine, the handbook says to pump the gas peddle 1 time before starting up a cold Lx Engine..and then it says repeat until it starts....lolz :sad2: so I understand that its not a problem in carb engines...to have a hard time starting up....its more like a feature. :ugh:

That I Disslike :barf: so if anyone can advise me on how to make my car have a good start up when the engine is cold...let me know plz :)

Pana23
06-27-2005, 12:02 PM
What can i say, to get some help here...my car doesnt start up on teh first try when my engine is cold sometimes it takes up to 4 times to start up, im sure its not the battery, and its not the starter,, cuz i bought them a month ago, usally it starts up when the engine is warm on the first try..
so what would be best to help my car start up smoothly when the engine is cold...Good quality spark plugs??? Ignition amplifier???

Sorry i dont know much bout cars.....any suggestiones or help??? :uh: :uh:

keruhas184
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Do a tuneup. Distributor cap + rotor, new spark plugs, new fuel filters. If that doesn't solve it, then you have a bigger problem. Also, search is your friend.

shepherd79
06-28-2005, 04:22 AM
hard start up:
1. if the motor turns fast but won't start right away. it is normal. you supposed to pump the gas pedal 2-3 times before you even crank the motor.
2. if the motor turns slow when you try to crank it. you may want to check your battery. it may be dead.

Pana23
06-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Thx 4 the info :) ...I looked up a ignition amplifier..its said that it helps the car have a much better start up ..and it increases fuel economy ... does any one know if Getting this part would be worth it for my carb Lx..cuz its like 180 buks

I got a distributor cap last year, will get some new spark plugs

FyreDaug
06-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Sounds like a scam to me, unless its a really big capacitor (which shouldnt matter anyways, with your battery) and it wont increase fuel economy. Buy a bottle of carb cleaner and run it in your gas tank. Then buy some carb cleaner spray and get the car to warm temp and spray it in the carb (taking off the air cleaner top).

Also if it turns slow when you crank, could also be bad connections.

Pana23
06-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Ignition AMplifier

4, 6 or 8-cylinder
OBDII legal
Provide the spark power your high revving, small displacement engine needs with MSD SCI Ignition Controls
These ignitions are made specifically for Sport Compact/Import vehicles and deliver hot multiple sparks for a full 20° of crankshaft rotation while CD circuits produce full power sparks throughout entire RPM range ensuring complete combustion of air/fuel
C.A.R.B. Approved: E.O. D-40-31

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1333/63000lz.jpg

The CarbCleaner Fuel Additives.. i use those alot..and it has help alot too...ill do the Carb Spray tratment ..Thx :)

2drSE-i
06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
id say fuel filter......itd be one of the most neglected parts, u shud change it if it has never been changed

shepherd79
06-30-2005, 05:20 PM
those ignition amplifiers are nothing but a waist of your money. Unless you have 2000hp drag car that needs every thing to start it up, that thing won't do you any good.
you may want to think about rebuilding your carb.

Pana23
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
ok" thanks shepherd :)

88accordalltheway
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
full tune up, including fuel filters, if that dosnt work...carb cleaner, and if that fails, get the carb rebuilt.

Pana23
07-10-2005, 04:12 PM
I got The Carb CLeaner spray and a Air-Intake CLeaner Spray
Im not sure were im supposed to spray this CArb CLeaner?? all i know is that i need to wait till teh engine is off n cold.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8081/carburater26wr.jpg

Spray the Carb CLeaner here??? :uh: :uh: any help PLz ???