PDA

View Full Version : how much would you spend?

mykwikcoupe
06-25-2005, 12:18 AM
So Im looking at a 89 green accord coupe right now. Manual tranny looks nice but it just got a new from honda engine installed supposedly. Ill email him and ask for pics later on. Well its pretty costly like higher than KBB even at suggested value which is the highest one. Its pretty much what Ive been looking for and I lost the one on ebay a few months back. Its got about 150k which has me worried about the new engine. 155 is way to early to be having that kind of work done to these cars. It looks super clean inside and out so It appears to be taken care of. Basically Im wondering what anyone else would pay so Im not just being cheap here.

I was hoping to keep a replacment car cost around 3k but for what Im looking for its just not going to happen. For those int he area lets see if you know which one it is. Just dont go get it since i told you its there. Ill jack you yo. Mike

It would be nice to have a car to install the jdm stuff in again.

88Accord-DX
06-25-2005, 12:32 AM
I would have to agree on "what is up" on a car with a re-built motor at 155k miles. Make sure you see some reciepts on the re-build before you make any decisions. I don't know what kind of money he wants, I would guess around 3 to 3 1/2 grand. I hope it is fuel injected. I asked Underdog what he did with his car, & he said you bought it. Is that a parts car? What are your plans with you old car, if I can ask. Sorry for all the questions. Just curious me. :)

The tranny blew and mykwikcoupe bought it off me.

mykwikcoupe
06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
no probkem i dont mind thats what where here for right. I bought underdogs car for the leather interior and sei parts. I put the leather in the car a totalled the next day and there it sits covered waiting to be swapped again. I still need to pull the sei parts to put on the wifeys car and put here lx parts on the sei. The sei was sold before I ever oicked it up believe it or not. I paid 600 fopr it and sold it for 600 with the intention i get all parts I want as long as it works as well if not better when im done. It was going to get a 5 speed swap but the guy I sold it to decided he wanted a auto so im looking ofr a good tranny now. Its sitting in my driveway awaiting a tranny and parts swap completeiion.

As for the totalled car Id love to show you pics but I cant. It awaiting a donor to put the jdm parts and turbo b20a in. Hopefully this other if he takes my offer. I was kinda thinking 3k myself but hes not soundong like hes gonna go for it. Oh well his loss right. Maybe id pay more like 3750 but not over 4k everything included taxes, tabs, lisence and all that. Yes its FI and a manual tranny so i dont have to do another 5 speed swap. Yah.

So if I did get id have a new honda engine for sale.

Not like a rock
06-26-2005, 10:29 PM
at 150k miles they could have lost the timing belt. That's what had happened to one of my 3Gs when I bought it with 195k kms. or maybe something just went bad prematurely. I know some people who just bought a Ridgeline, and the timing belt tensioner got all messed up and wrecked the engine at 2000 kms.

Anyway, you should just ask them what happened to the engine.

3gn86lxi
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
So Mike....What happened, did you get the car???
What's going on with the car search? Are you going to build the thunder chicken??
Updates bro. Ready to sell me the Weber yet?

mykwikcoupe
06-30-2005, 10:14 PM
not just yet on the weber. It deends on how I blow my money. If I rebiuld the wifeys engine and have this headwork done Ill put the dcoe setup onit and sell you the weber. Thats going to be oh say 1g. No problem huh. HOW DO YOU CONVINCE YOUR WIFE SHE DOESNT NEED HER CAR FOR A DAY OR 2? She wont do for it. Its killling me here.

Anyway The car is/was in burlington at sims handa. I found it online at autrader.com. Ive sent them a few emails, nothing. Ill just wait. Ill find another one. Hopefully theres less risk than what Im going through right now.

As for the thunderbird, the long time pondered question of 'do I fix it to get it on the road? or 'Well Ive got it apart anyway, why dont I just spend a few more bucks and do it right this time?' Well that few more bucks is like 6gs on the internals of the engine. By the time you get the machine waork, the billet crank, headwork, cam work, parts. Oh and about 3 weeks of my time pulling this thing. I dont know if anyone has ever poppe the hood of one of these cars but whoa. So Im kinda curios myself. Im thinking just put it on the road. Drive it for another year and then well do it after all this other crap is over.

But the good news. My virago is almost back together. Im awaiting the rear chain oil to arrive, special ordered from sweden. great huh. These euro bike are nuts. Ive had more money spent in overnight drops than the parts are worth had i just cnverted it to us version. Oh well how many chain driven, oil bath bike do you see. This is the 920 version. Im planning on making it a 1600 after all is said and done. It got new school suspension, everythings been rebiult on it except the engine. Ill pull it all aprt and paint/ polish it when i do the engine. thanks for asking Mike

3gn86lxi
06-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Man.....Mike, you have got toooooo much shit going on bro! I thought I was bad with all my projects. And I hear you about the wife thing, and they tend to get what they want.
Well, you just let me know on that carb, and I'm sure you will figure out what to do with the SC. It is a Super Coupe isn't it?

mykwikcoupe
07-01-2005, 11:19 PM
yep sure is. When it was at it height and glory about 2 years ago Id say I was the fastest bird on the westside of the state. Almost every power bolt on. It would run a high 12 sec. with me driving which isnt great since Im an autocrosser not a drag guy. I started selling parts with the intent to yank the engine and start pouring cash into it. I lost my job for like 8 months and thats where all the green went.

88Accord-DX
07-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Speaking of Thunderchickens, I had a "Thunderchicken" that was my first car. It was a 77' T-bird with a 351 Windsor. It had flip up lights, electric seats, power windows, cruise control, spoke hub caps & a trunk from hell. It was a gas gussling s.o.b.... It was a fast & a damn good car with all the amenities..
My conclution is that the "Thunderchicken" will never have the the power and reliabilty that it had back in the day.

mykwikcoupe
07-03-2005, 02:15 AM
my biggest beef with ford about the thunderbirds was they were originally biult to hand the corvette its own wich it did quite well. That is until some pencil pushing chevy driver convinced the marketing agents there wasnt any market for a 2 seater sports coupe and gave the market intouched to chevy. In 61 they came out with what until the thunderbird is known to be. A family sports coupe. Bah. i want my corvette killer back. Oh well. My buddy had one of then 78 thunderbirds. Not bad for a emissions ridden barge.