PDA

View Full Version : I need help/ideas on and 88 Accord LX-i

truckramrod
06-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Hello!
I am working on a coworkers 1988 Honda Accord LX-i w/ auto transmission and I need some help/ideas!
The car has been having a starting problem for over a year since they bought it. If it starts normally it then runs perfectly, but sometimes it won't start at all, no starter noise no engine cranking nothing. The starter has been replaced thinking that was the problem and it didn't help one bit.
I am going to check the usual sensors like the IGN switch and the park/neutral safety switch,

I was wondering if there was anything else I should check do these gen accords have any funky sensors or stuff that give them problems? I already know about the radio part problem that causes the car to not run.

paso100
06-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Hello!
If it starts normally it then runs perfectly, but sometimes it won't start at all, no starter noise no engine cranking nothing. The starter has been replaced thinking that was the problem and it didn't help one bit.
I am going to check the usual sensors like the IGN switch and the park/neutral safety switch,

Might want to check your battery cables/ground. I forgot to tighten my ground cable once after doing some work and it wouldn't start. :uh:

truckramrod
06-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Well I have been driving it all day and when it has the "no start" condition, there is a clicking noise under the hood when trying to start the car in Park and Neutral, but no clicking while in drive gears so I am thinking the Park-Neutral Safety Switch is operating fine.

I am starting to suspect the starter solenoid, but I've been told that the started has been replaced recently like less than 9 months ago and it has made no difference in the starting problem of the car. I've replaced the Alternator recently and we had the battery charged at the local Auto store(it over an hour to charge!) and the cables are clean and properly tightened!

I have a repair manual and they recommend trying and testing a few different things so I am going to try that.

c72c
06-25-2005, 04:30 PM
It's a honda, of corse there's some kind of wierd swith/sencor somewhere that makes everything mess up...ha ha jk.
I'd have to agree on the cables, there's gotta be a bad connection somewhere. Maybe a bad ground to the starter, that happened to mine so i just popped the clutch to star it till i got it figured out.

Oldblueaccord
06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Hello!
I am working on a coworkers 1988 Honda Accord LX-i w/ auto transmission and I need some help/ideas!
The car has been having a starting problem for over a year since they bought it. If it starts normally it then runs perfectly, but sometimes it won't start at all, no starter noise no engine cranking nothing. The starter has been replaced thinking that was the problem and it didn't help one bit.

I was wondering if there was anything else I should check do these gen accords have any funky sensors or stuff that give them problems? I already know about the radio part problem that causes the car to not run.

When you turn the key to start it the dash lights (idiot lights) should come on. Key switch faulty if not.

Main realy it will crank no fuel.

Park/neutral should start in neutral but Im not sure on Hondas. Could jump that out if your carefull.

wp

john
06-26-2005, 07:15 AM
starter repalced ?? new or used ?? pull the starter again, take the cover with 3 bolts off. take out the plunger. under that you'll see two brass contacts. check if on has a groove, they should be the same thichnes. when you hear a click, but no crank. That plunger is being pulled back, but is only making contact with one of the brass contacts. IT must hit both to complete a curcuit and juice to the starter motor. I hear you can buy just the brass tabs. it's an easy,cheaper repair job. I fixed my toyota starter with tabs from honda

spades27
06-26-2005, 07:54 AM
sounds like a gound problem hmm ill talk to my friend who is a tec and see what he says

truckramrod
06-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks John I think that is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to pull the starter and do as you said and also make sure the wires have good connections also.