PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to yank out a transmission

newaccorddriver
06-25-2005, 10:29 AM
My auto is soon to be FUBARED and i need to to to a junk yard and pull one out.

what is the quickest way to pull one out? i only have a few hours there and i was wondering if it would be fastest to take it out with the axles still in place

AccordEpicenter
06-25-2005, 10:43 AM
you can, but if its an automatic, youre gonna need to pull out the pass side radius rod too to get the tranny out the bottom, so id at least take out the pass side axle too

newaccorddriver
06-25-2005, 12:04 PM
i was planning to get a standard instead of auto cause hondas autos really hate me. so can i just yank out everything thats connected to the transmission then remove the unneeded parts afterwards?

step by step guide would be helpful, or atleast telling me what i need to disconnect and remove first would be easier

AccordEpicenter
06-25-2005, 12:54 PM
if its a 5 speed... take out the crossmember, starter, tranny brace, then take out all the bolts (some are on the back etc) take off the axle nut,take out the lower balljoint nut and separate it from the lower control arm, and pull the axle from the tranny. The tranny speed sensor on the back near the firewall you can either cut all the hoses/cable etc connecting it and yank it out with the tranny. Take off the shift rod/torque rod and then slide the tranny back to get it off the clutch, then drop it right out the bottom. you should drain the tranny before taking the axles out though.

newaccorddriver
06-25-2005, 06:04 PM
if its a 5 speed... take out the crossmember, starter, tranny brace, then take out all the bolts (some are on the back etc) take off the axle nut,take out the lower balljoint nut and separate it from the lower control arm, and pull the axle from the tranny. The tranny speed sensor on the back near the firewall you can either cut all the hoses/cable etc connecting it and yank it out with the tranny. Take off the shift rod/torque rod and then slide the tranny back to get it off the clutch, then drop it right out the bottom. you should drain the tranny before taking the axles out though.

its possible to take out the crossmember?

is it mandantory to remove the axles as i am not sure i have a big enough socket for it and im not completely sure my ratchet/breaker bar can handle the torque it might need

are the shift rods held in place by something or all covered up?

is the speed sensor a separate unit or is it in the transmission and would the speed register correctly if i were to install it using that sensor?

one other thing i forgot to mention, these cars are in junkyards and their sitting on wheels under the car, is it possible to still get the transmission out?