PDA

View Full Version : B20 Swap

Mattphi
06-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Ok so as some of you know, my transmission blew in the Accord the other day. I was contemplating on doing a 5 speed swap but came across some great prices on newer motors. I found a b20 for $750 however it does not come with the tranny, ecu, or mounts. Anyways, im sure i can go to a shop around here and get the whole swap for not TOO much more. This is the new goal, so to all of you who have done it or know anything about it let me know some info. How much fabrication am i going to have to do? (mounts and stuff). Would it be better to swap this motor in or just rebuild mine?

Mattphi
06-27-2005, 07:00 PM
LALALALA i like to make threads that no-one responds to hahaha

Vanilla Sky
06-27-2005, 07:08 PM
hey man, i'll help out with a b swap

SteveDX89
06-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Rebuild your A20. That plus a tranny swap will cost less than a B20 swap. Much less.

shepherd79
06-28-2005, 04:17 AM
tranny swap and engine rebuild can cost less than JDM B20A swap. I don't think you can find gold top B20 anymore. and if you get the motor, you still have to find tranny that fits. 5 speed for B20 is almost impossible to find this days.
just rebuild your motor or swap 5 speed.

SteveDX89
06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
tranny swap and engine rebuild can cost less than JDM B20A swap. I don't think you can find gold top B20 anymore. and if you get the motor, you still have to find tranny that fits. 5 speed for B20 is almost impossible to find this days.
just rebuild your motor or swap 5 speed.

He's talking about a B20B/Z. At least, that's what I'm assuming.

Versanick
06-29-2005, 05:44 PM
You can work around things if you use a different flywheel, from the get-go. There are so many other things to worry about though (esp if it's not a b20a) for it to not be worth it. If you have dozens of feet of unused electrical wire, a mig welder, a good shop manual ( http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137 ), plenty of time, and excellent mechanical inclination, the swap might be economical.

If that doesn't describe you, I wouldn't attempt the swap without a lot more financial backup. There are hordes of unseen expenses in attempting even the b20a swap, for many of the most obscure things. I'd just get a new tranny. The 5 speed swap isn't nearly as involved, but do your research before attempting it. There are still going to be unforseen expenses and hurdles and such.

Save up your money. Get a tranny at a yard if you can find a good one (my local yard marks it if there's a good tranny in it)... and save the rest of your dough.

Maybe your car will break again in some other unforseen manner, or maybe it's just a good idea to save for some great upgrade later on. Money saved is money earned..

good luck