PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal adjustment questions

frantik
06-26-2005, 04:19 PM
ok i just got my car back from the mechanic and they adjusted the clutch but now it feels hella weird. Theres a lot of freeplay at the top and it doesn't fully disengage until i hit the floor. Before my clutch would have very little freeplay and fully disengaged much higher off the floor.

i liked it before because i felt like i had more control over the pedal because of the angle the pedal would be at as it started to engade. now it engages right at the bottom of the arc of the pedal and it's a little bit harder to control. that all being said, from doing some searching on here it sounds like it's better to have the pedal disengage fully very close to the floor, like it was adjusted by the mechanic

well anyways i tried to adjust the pedal using the nut on the end of the cable under the battery but theres some kinda stopper thing preventing the nut from turning.. it looks like it's attatched to the bracket holding the cable.

my questions are: is the pedal adjusted correctly, and if not, how do i deal with the stopper so i can turn the nut?

FyreDaug
06-26-2005, 04:29 PM
You could just get used to it though, you should feel like you have more control near the bottom. But if theres too much freeplay (more than an inch or so) then you should adjust it.

You mean the nut is all the way out and its touching the stopper? I cant picture it.

frantik
06-26-2005, 04:37 PM
theres the cable going down and then it's held by a metal bit to align it with the lever below. between the nut and the metal part is this rubber piece that goes around the cable. The rubber piece has a little round thing that sticks up in between the dimples on the nut's sides (it's not a flat nut, it's got dimples to make it easier to turn by hand) preventing me from turning it.

im sure i'll get used to it but i want to make sure it's set right.. i assume it is since the mechanic set it but it feels really sloppy compared to before when it felt really smooth and precise if i move the pedal by hand and look at it move there is about an inch of freeplay but it feels like a lot more when i push down with my foot. i guess the main thing i dont like though is that i have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to disengage it... but if thats how it's supposed to be then ill deal lol

FyreDaug
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah it should be fairly close to the floor for it to be set properly. You should have about an inch from the top freeplay and an inch from the bottom before anything really happens either way. Is that what you have?

frantik
06-26-2005, 08:45 PM
theres definitely more free play at the top than at the bottom.. i'd say the clutch travels twice as far at the top before any disengagement than at the bottom. it's really almost when i hit the floor, and i have quite a bit of space at the top.. so much that when im driving in the city i forget to completely remove my foot because i dont have to. it's probably adjusted correctly but just needs some fine tuning.. but theres that rubber thing. can i just pull up on it and rotate it then? i think i need somebody else to push the clutch pedal down while im looking at it and maybe it would be more obvious :dunno:

frantik
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
ok i fucked with it some more and got the nut to turn... i just had to push a lil harder to get it to move past the stopper. i only turned it two positions and it was already a lot better so i think i'll leave it