PDA

View Full Version : ok which is the better trans for the 3gee

buds302
06-29-2005, 04:25 AM
ok it has now become that time where i need to replace my transmission. this thing is messed up too. but enough of that and on to this. ok i did some searching( not alot) and its apparent that i have some options. first if i read it right i could put the 84-87 prelude si trans in my car. second i could take the gears from the 1st gen integra and put in the accord trans and have no problems or the easiest one would be replace my five speed with one of the same damn car. but i dont want to do that if i can get more speed or better pickup out of the other choices. but heres where you guys come in. which one will give me better pickup and which one will give me more speed( i mean top end if you will.) or.... or! it doesnt matter which one i use they are gonna give me the same result? now who here has done any of the combinations and some insight on what i should do would be nice. also this is a dumb ques. but they didnt make a six speed back in the day for any of these cars did they? if they did its mine!!!!

but i could also be like integral and put an h22 in there with an auto and never post pics about it!!

^^^^^^^ sorry i had to! ^^^^^^

2drSE-i
06-29-2005, 12:27 PM
as long as you explain that you have pics from a disposable digi camera that somehow came with a USB cable, but that your dog chewed it up

and with that camera you somehow made a video but you dont know how to upload it

as long as you do that we will believe you

Slipknotcraig133
06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
integra gives you best acceleration prelude is in the middle and the accord one is for top speed

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2005, 04:36 PM
i think the best option is a hybrid trans. accord 4th and 5th, teg first second and third. there are how-tos and threads whre people have done this, so you might learn a lot with a quick search.

Slipknotcraig133
06-29-2005, 10:46 PM
I have done the interga one. If you have some kind of manual its simple to do just take your time

mr eff
06-29-2005, 11:24 PM
i don't think you have the option to pick each individual gear... 1-4 come on a spindle, 5th and reverse are separate. so you could build a tranny with teg/lude 1-4 and accord 5th, but you couldn't use accord 1st, teg 2nd, 3rd, accord 4th, 5th.

Strugglebucket
06-29-2005, 11:45 PM
go with the teg hybrid. you'll get an oil filler bolt on the TOP of the casing! :nervous:

buds302
06-30-2005, 03:30 AM
nice to know some people actually give me advice instead of flaming the thread!!! but yes i did do " a quick search" and looked at the how to and i know how to do it i just wanted to know what would be the best way to go? so the teg hybrid thing is when i take apart both trans and use just the bell housing of the accord and the actual case from the teg? did i read that right?? or is it replace the gears in the accord trans with the ones from the teg? i dunno! just which one should i go with? its lookin like the teg hybrid cause um i dont seem to have any 84-87 ludes in the j-yard.all sold out. so which is it? gears and case from the teg or just gears?

rjudgey
06-30-2005, 04:14 AM
well i've tried the whole lot, i think personally i love the Teg box but it's high rpm's at cruising speed does my head in, the standard Lude box from 1.8 carb is best all round with good 1st and 2nd, 3rd isn't too tall if your engine is torquey, and 4th and 5th have good high speed, have had 140mph from 4th and 5th took me too just over 155mph probably would do 160mph with some more power but drag starts becoming a factor big time at 140mph plus, if you have Accord Carb box great tall gears crap for 1/4 mile as 3rd takes you right out the power band, and 5th is so tall that with combined drag and the fact that the poor engine has a really tall gear to fight against just means your not gonna get a good top speed out of it!!

What i would do is get a Teg box, use the bell housing from your accord to fit onto the teg box, new race spec bronze bearings if possible at least on the main diff as if you do lots of high speed runs the stock bearings are crap and destroy themselves done that twice now!!! Get new syncros for 3rd and 4th they come as a pair and are cheap, 1st and 2nd are more expensive as you have to buy the whole load more comes with more metal i think it has the reverse gear built in, 5th is also as expensive. 3/4 was only£35 1/2 £70 and 5th was £70 as well. Now with the Teg, lude and accord box they all use the same physical size 5th gear ratio's are different but the size isn't so they all can be swapped, where as earlier Lude boxes and 2G accord boxes the main gears and hubs are all slightly narrower and is the small bearing in the bellhousing, the whole gearbox case measured is about 5mm smaller than teg or 3G Accord box. So with your Teg Box with uprated race bearings, new syncros or reconditioned syncros, possibly OMP or similar LSD clutch diff, combined with 1.8 carbed Lude 5th gear gets you about the best all round, good acceleration in 1-4th and good top speed/economy in 5th but not too tall that you can't get 150+mph out of it!!

So re-cap:
Get Teg box, ditch the Teg bell housing, use your Accord Bell housing, inspect all parts replace if worn, replace all bearings and uprate the main diff bearings with a race spec part, get hold of 5th Gear assembly from 1.8 Lude and add to the Teg box, put all new seals on including main ouptput shaft seal, and driveshaft seals, etc, you can get a complete seal kit.
Use Lude 1.8 flywheel and clutch kit from a 1st Gen Teg recommend Clutchnet with their sprung hub Organic top dollar clutchnet which is the best i've seen full stop their is no better check out my carbdomain site which has pics of the clutch kit on. is also pretty darn cheap for what you getting!! And a 1st Gen TEg ally Flywheel will not fit their a 6 bolt hole on the crank ours are 8 but the clutches are the same. Be carefull what oil you use anything too thin and doesn't like heat will destroy the box, i would go with at least a high quality semi or fully synth 75/90 gearbox oil seems to work well or maybe use Honda oil but not sure on that not used it. Engine oil definately chews up the box under heavy use normal road use fine but race not good.

Thats it really done 40K out of my Teg box and all i've had done is new seals and new syncros in 3/4 but as 1/2 was worn had them done at same time as well as new bearings from when i first put it in.

Hope this helps RIch.