PDA

View Full Version : 6" front door speakers?

leonardotmnt
06-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I pulled out the speaker from my door today looking to make sure what size it is and it seems to be about 6" or 6.25" I guess is closer. I thought ours were 6.5"? This is an LXI coupe btw. Is that normal or what could I do to make a 6.5" speaker fit? Thanks in advance.

Cheeseburger
06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
next time serch, its there for a reson
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42158&highlight=size+front+speakers

leonardotmnt
06-29-2005, 01:46 PM

I did search actually and wasn't really sure what corresponded to my problem and didn't exactly have time to read a thousand pages so I'm sorry...

leonardotmnt
06-29-2005, 01:48 PM

Maybe I can't read well but I've read that before and don't see how it explains why my speakers aren't 6.5". I'm not talking about the depth at all. I mean width... and more than 6.25" seems like it'll be too big for the bracket.

Cheeseburger
06-29-2005, 01:50 PM
ive got 6.5 in the front

leonardotmnt
06-29-2005, 01:51 PM
So what you're saying is you don't know why they're smaller? Or do newer speakers have the screw holes set further in than the stock ones?

Ludi Mali
06-29-2005, 01:58 PM
its designed for 5.25 but 6.5 dia. will fit. you can throw in a tiny spacer if you want, i think stock the speaker sits off of the basket an 1/8 of an inch or so because the speaker basket hits the door mount basket, i just used a couple layers of cardboard. unless you get shallow mount speakers you will have to cut the back of the basket off to accomodate the depth. Or i can trade my basket with you, its already cut and i need a whole one ;).

2drSE-i
06-29-2005, 02:30 PM
6.5" will fit without any mods

ull have to change all the original wiring tho, if uve got the Bose stock system in there

leonardotmnt
06-29-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't think I have the bose system but I was just wondering if the screw holes would line up if I used an actual 6.5" speaker instead of what's in there which looks a little smaller. It just seemed to me that if the speaker was bigger the screw holes on the new speaker would be further out than the holes in the bracket that's already there. Thanks for the help

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
5.25' speakers usually have the screw holes at the same width as 6.5' speakers do, in my experience. and as the unofficial alpine spokesman, i will say once again that the only 6.5" speakers that fit the front of these cars without modifications are alpine. infinty's require spacers, as does basically every other brand. alpine fits. no headaches. it's too bad since i prefer infinity sound up front. oh well...

leonardotmnt
06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
The spacer's are to fix the depth problem, right? Any idea how far you can space it out and still have the cover still fit flush on the door? If no one knows or feels like telling I guess I'll check it out tomorrow after work but I was just wondering if someone knew offhand.

2drSE-i
06-29-2005, 09:28 PM
i like my rockford fosgates (6.5's) up front.......except my pioneers in the back (6x9's) are WAY louder

Ludi Mali
06-30-2005, 07:25 AM
if the holes don't match up just screw through the plastic, its not like it takes much to hold the speaker in place.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-01-2005, 11:08 AM
The spacer's are to fix the depth problem, right? Any idea how far you can space it out and still have the cover still fit flush on the door? If no one knows or feels like telling I guess I'll check it out tomorrow after work but I was just wondering if someone knew offhand.

I dont know if the speaker covers are different on the se-i's... but I had about 1" spacers with my old Focal's and this fit fine behind the cover.... Just barely though, luckily my new ones are more shallow.

kennyaccordlxi
07-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I had a set of used polk audio ex 6.5's they will fit no spacers needed

POS carb
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
I had 5.25 all around stock, I was able to mount 6.5 in the front doors but I had to cut the basket so the magnet would fit. In the back I used an SEi rear deck and the 6x9 pods (I had to get the deck b/c mine was torn up and also it had the extender "feet" for the 6x9 pod to seal properly)

3rdCoast
07-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Most 6.5's will fit unless they are high powered like more than 100w rms (they tend to have heavy duty magnets on them) I got pioneer 6.5's all the way around they fit just fine with no mods. Most 6.5's have inner and outer mounting holes the outer holes r for spacers and then there r three inner mounting hole for factory mounting they are just outside of the foam/rubber surround and u use those if ur not gonna use any mounting rings. But yeah 6.5's r the biggest ur gonna get without having to mod anything. (damn i really need to get a digital camera so i can post pics of everything on here) :uh: Note Im talkin about lx/dx and i beleive lxi models only i dont know much about the se-i models

2drSE-i
07-08-2005, 12:11 PM
pretty sure that lx, lxi and sei audio boxes are the same