PDA

View Full Version : calling all 3geer's

b8er
06-29-2005, 03:07 PM
alright im in need of some big help

first off i would like to point out that i am very mechanicly inclined/skilled as iv been working/racing dragsters since i was 8 yeas old

now on to the problem, i have a 87 EX-i, now she(the car) has had a little problem that use to pop up ever once and awhile where if i tried starting the car before the PGM-FI light went out the car wouldnt start so i would always wait for the light to go out them the car would start no problem, but if i tried to start it before the light went out the car wouldnt run and id have to let the car sit for about 20 min before i could start it again.

now just this past week its started to do this more and more. yesturday me and my buddys were gonna take our other buddy out cause was leaving for a month and we all hope in my car and i wait for the light then wham, it doesnt wanna run, so we sit for 15-20 min, still nothing so we just took a different car, i wake up this morning to go to the dentist car runs fine didnt even second guess nothing and off i was, once i go to leave to come home the car doesnt wanna run. i sat for 30 min tried it nothing, the tried again and again and again and nothing, so the car is sitting outside my dentists office right now and i dont know what the fuck to do cause this thing is just gotten to my last nerve now, does anybody know what the problem could be, has anybody ever had this problem before, anything could help, do yuo guys think its the fuel pump? regulator? injectors? computer? anything?

i just really need this car which means i need to get this fixed soon!!,
thanks guys -Tyson

NXRacer
06-29-2005, 03:19 PM
how is it not starting?? its not catching when you crank it?? details, details.

have you replaced any parts that could be the culprit? did you read the code the ECU was throwing??

could be the main relay. They go on the fritz before completely dying and that could be what happend.

b8er
06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
well the starter is ingaging it just sounds like its not sparking or its not geting fuel, iv check plugs and there fine, the only aftermarket thing iv put on it is a CAI for an intergra, that and some springs, the ECU isnt throwing a code, the mian relay might be the culprate, thanks for thinking of that, anybody else got any ideas?

b8er
06-29-2005, 08:01 PM
bump

anybody out there, i really need to get this fixed guys, job depends on it

yanman
06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
is the pcm light on? if it is then find out what code it's throwing and what it means..

codes are posted somewhere on thsi site.

Strugglebucket
06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
are you getting spark when it's cranking?

b8er
06-29-2005, 10:23 PM
yea the PGM-FI light comes on but i wait for it to go out before i start and it doesnt throw any codes, yes checked spark, got plenty of spark when cranking so im figuring that its my fuel pump, yea it blows cause from what i remeber i think there 700 bucks so i guess that brings me to the question, anybody in canada have a fuel pump for a 87 EX-i?

3gmodifier
06-29-2005, 11:12 PM
have you checked the main fuel pump relay, my dad has a 92 civic hatch and it did the exact same thing. we thought it was the fuel pump cuz u know how when you first turn the key to ignition you hear the pump run for about 5 seconds and then stop, well we didn't hear it. so before we spent a bunch of money on a new pump, we got a haynes manual and found out that there was a way to check the relay. we unplugged the relay and made a jumper wire to connect to two of the connections to make a curciut.( basicaly, imitating the relay minus the switching on/off part) we turned the key to ignition and the pump turned on, it stayed on as long as we had the key in so by that we determined that the relay was bad. we bought that instead of the pump and it worked perfect. it sure saved us a bunch of money. i have a manual for my 3g as well, i've looked befor and i believe that the relay is the same as an eg but the wires are just another color. i will check and post back with witch wires to jump to test. hope this helps

Robs89LXi
06-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Yep, had pretty much the same problem, and it turned out to be the main relay. It is a pain to get at (up under the dash, just behind the coin holder), but get it down, tap it a couple times and try to start while you are doing that. Some people say you can even bang on the side of the dash and it will jolt it enough to allow you to start. Problem is the soldering goes bad and you end up with bad connections on the relay. I just swapped mine for a junkyard one, and no more problems. I'd check it first; not too hard, and free.

b8er
06-30-2005, 11:15 AM
alright guys, thanx for the info il see what i can do

b8er
07-01-2005, 01:40 AM
this is just an update, so i spend some time tring to figure stuff our, tapped some stuff, poked some stuff, you know the usuall, and it turns out my car wants to run more the not, opposit of before so that problem is kinda fixed ( for now ) now here is the kicker...

MY CAR FUCKING OVERHEATS NOW!!!!!

went for a little curise with my buddys, then take a glance at the gauges and the fucking heat gauge is pinned past the H so i pulled over poped the hood, steam comes poring out and yup theres a leak, cant tell from where yet but i cant drive the car more then 1-2km without the god damn thing overheating , which then i pull over, wait 10 min, put some watter in it, fire it up and move another 1.5km, iv always loved this car but i gotta say my 1973 moped thats sitting under my deck is starting to seem like a better mode of transportion

Oldblueaccord
07-01-2005, 03:12 AM
this is just an update, so i spend some time tring to figure stuff our, tapped some stuff, poked some stuff, you know the usuall, and it turns out my car wants to run more the not, opposit of before so that problem is kinda fixed ( for now ) now here is the kicker...

MY CAR FUCKING OVERHEATS NOW!!!!!

went for a little curise with my buddys, then take a glance at the gauges and the fucking heat gauge is pinned past the H so i pulled over poped the hood, steam comes poring out and yup theres a leak, cant tell from where yet but i cant drive the car more then 1-2km without the god damn thing overheating , which then i pull over, wait 10 min, put some watter in it, fire it up and move another 1.5km, iv always loved this car but i gotta say my 1973 moped thats sitting under my deck is starting to seem like a better mode of transportion

If it does it again you can jump 2 pins on the main realy to test it out it should let the pump run then. I think its 5 and 7 but a search will tell you or the book.

Also the ignition switch could be going bad i had mine replaced about 5 years ago for some no start nonsense.

wp

shepherd79
07-01-2005, 08:04 AM
hey, sometime old cars have tendency to break.
don't worry, everything is easy to fix.
1. main relay: take it out, open the box and resolder the connections. just melt them and cool it down. you may want to add more solder if you want. this will ensure the starts in the future.
2. overheating. since it is leaking from somewhere, all you have to do is find the leak. start the car and let it idel. when the car gets hot, you will see the leak. replace the hose what ever it is.

this cars are bullet proof, but ones in a while they break.

NXRacer
07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
hey b8er. I'll bet your problem is your water pump. Mine started slowly running hot, then one morning on my way to work i noticed it was almost pinned at the H. On my old coupe, i could tell the water pump was going out because it was making horrible noises, but this one wasnt. I'd try replacing your water pump if you havent within the last few months. It only takes like 2 hours tops to do.

b8er
07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
i dont think its my water pump, cause when it overheats i can touch the top rad hose and it is hot which means that my thermostate is opening and the water pump is pumping the coolant throught, anyways i just and getting really fed up, i dont wanna ditch this car cause i love everything about it right up untill this past 2 weeks or so. i know that these problems could be simple fixes but i think thats the reason there getting to me so much, iv dont a billion small fixes to this car over the period that iv had it and then wham 2 more pop up, it just gets annoying. i felt i just needed to rant, thanx guys

NXRacer
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
if you can see water moving, then your pump is working, but just having hot water in there doesnt mean it is. I had hella hot water in my radiator and the water pump was basically non-existant.

might try bleeding your system. If there is a water pocket in your thermostat housing, it'll make it not open properly.

you also might want to think about investing in an OEM thermostat. I've heard aftermarket thermostats are super cheap and dont work right.

POS carb
07-01-2005, 03:01 PM
heat rises, the top will always be hot. overheating at a stop is usually fans not kicking on, overheat when you drive is usually a plugged/inneficient system (no pumping, dirty radiator, stuck thermostat).
Run some radiator flush with the t-stat out.
you can trick the fans to come on too by jumping the temp sensor

and the no start sounds like that stupid main relay, I'm surprised no one said it earlier

b8er
07-01-2005, 10:00 PM
so i found out my overheating problem... so it seems through my blind sheer madness towards the car because of the not starting problem i completly did not see that there was a leak at the end of one of the hoses below the distriputor. its time to admit that i was a dumbass, ahahah, i felt like such a moron once i saw the little leak, like how come i didnt look for that first, anyways the overheating is fixed and my car hasnt done the stupid non-starting thing for almost 3 full days now and i havent done a single thing to it besides let it sit cause it would start, so as of right now my cars good, no leaks, no sweaks, and it startes, if something comes up il be sure to post.

Cant Stop
07-17-2005, 11:00 AM
my roommate had a 91 accord that would have starting issues every so often , it cranks but wont start ,it turned out to have a bad plug in the harness that was causing an "open" this would happen when the car was moved 20 feet or driven for 20 minutes so always check your wiring carefully it cost her about $85 to have the dealer repair it, that was last year.