PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Size

88eyeguy
06-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Alright, since no one seems to be able to discover the mysterious speaker size of our cars...

DX's-
Front: 5.25" or shallow mount 6.5" speakers.
Rear: None

LX's (Canada EX)-
Front: 5.25" or shallow mount 6.5" speakers.
Rear: 6.5" speakers

1986-1987 LXi's (Canada EXi)-
Front: 5.25" or shallow mount 6.5" speakers

1988-1989 LXi's-
Rear: 6x9" speakers

SEi's (Bose system)-
Front: 3" speakers in a 6.5" mount, so 6.5" speakers will fit.
Rear: 6x9" speakers

Hatchbacks-

In the front, most 6.5 speakers will require minor modification to the bracket and/or basket in order to fit properly without hindering the window track.

5.25" speakers will fit up front without modification.

The DX models are wired for speakers in the rear, however you would need to cut out the proper sized holes to drop speakers in.

If anyone has additions/corrections, feel free to post them.

~Andy

Hash_man_Se_i
06-29-2005, 05:22 PM
wooot someone makje this a sticky please... and I could be wrong, but the opening for my fronts in my sei are 6.5"... so placing a 5.25" would require an adapter plate/wooden moutn

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2005, 05:48 PM
the mounting flange for spekers in this car is spaced so that you will land somewhere on it with either size of speaker.

MIK3
06-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Looks pretty good. You might just want to add that there are provided wires incase you ever wanted to throw in 6.5"s in the rear on the DX models. The only modification you need to do other then the straight install is cut the holes in the cardboard/carpet top. But the wires are definitely there for the install. And my 6.5" Infinities fit like a charm in the front, was a clean install with no modification as well. Just thought I'd throw that in, if it matters any.

87DXHatch
07-30-2005, 10:08 AM
To further clarify, if you have an SE-i, the front speakers are 3" in a custom ported Bose enclosure. The normal "6.5 inch" baskets will fit there after you remove the Bose stuff, but you have to get one of those from another car. Also, all of the hatches used 6.5" speakers in the back. Additionally...

It depends how the manufacturer measures their "6.5 inch" speakers. I've had some cheap JVC "6.5 inch" speakers that were not actually 6.5". The openings in the Accord's front doors are NOT 6.5"... at least not the last time I measured them. They were 6.25" last time I measured mine, which was a year ago, as I no longer own the car.

To get my Adire Koda 6.5" speakers (I measured them, 6.5" from edge to edge) to fit I had to construct a baltic birch spacer ring; they were too wide for the stock mounting ring. However, like I mentioned, it depends how the manufacturer measures their speakers. Some fit fine, others require modification. Just don't freak out if things don't work perfectly right away.

The other thing to take into consideration is separation of the front and rear firing waves. You want to be as sure as you can that the speaker is SEALED OFF when you're mounting it. If you need to, use a strip of closed-cell weatherstripping around the mounting hole, so that the speaker is sealed off. Along the same train of thought, you also would benefit from sealing off all the holes in the inner door skin; all those access points allow rear-wave/front-wave interaction which reduces the amount of midbass you have.

And yet one more thing: if you can, put something like the Deflex pads (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-242) behind the speaker, attached to the outer door skins with epoxy or glue or something. I personally use a small piece of egg-crate foam, treated with scotchguard to (hopefully) prevent mold from growing. These things reduce standing waves, which can adversely affect the sound the speakers are producing.

Any other questions, shoot me a PM. ;)

3rdgenhatchDX
09-06-2005, 06:39 AM
i knew my hatch dx didn't have speakers back there!!! that stupid circuit city guy!!!! :stupid:

yeah okay so are there holes i can look for (i really have the hatch full of my backseats and the shelves right now so i can't look till i get rid of em...

Well my fronts are like jensens and now i need to toss my rear seat and look for the wholes for some rear speakers cuz this is getting old, plus my cd player doesn't work and it resets the radio because whoever put it in didn't run a hotwire to it... if anybody has pix of their rear hatch speakers in stock location that would be greatly appreciated!

well i went over to the guys house who i bought the car off of and turns out he's got some 5 1/4" DUB's by audiobahn... they're 80watts... $50 ... i didn't buy em...haha but anyway they fit my rears perfect i found where the stock speakers go and sure enough the wires were already there... now i need to buy some loudass speakers and toss em back there...thanx for all the info!

Vanilla Sky
09-06-2005, 06:57 AM
while it did lack rear speakers, it did have the provisions for them.

Shirako
09-08-2005, 04:27 PM
I bought my DX with speakers already in the back, never knew they it didnt come with em, someone must have put them in because there are clarions in the front doors, I replaced the back ones with some lightning audios some time ago.

Soundy
12-29-2005, 10:48 PM
FYI, Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com) lists just about everything you'd need to know about what speakers and decks fit in what cars. Select your car's year, make, model, and body style, and it'll show you pretty much every brand and model that will go in there (they'll sell them to you as well, although you don't HAVE to buy from them).

They also sell wiring harnesses, adapter kits, etc.

A20A1
09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow the thread is magicly back on topic.
:)

FYI, Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com) lists just about everything you'd need to know about what speakers and decks fit in what cars. Select your car's year, make, model, and body style, and it'll show you pretty much every brand and model that will go in there (they'll sell them to you as well, although you don't HAVE to buy from them).

They also sell wiring harnesses, adapter kits, etc.

Good post, I think the other guy looking for the GL speakers should use that link.

DDRaptor
09-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Well just to add to the info, my Speakers are all 6" front and back. Not sure why. Pictures below.
I got an 1988 Accord LX with auto Trans i don't know why mine are different size.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4639.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4648.jpg

Soundy
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
My 87 Accords have all had 6.5" stock speakers. From my experience, most Civics of the time came with 5.25", but would fit the same 6.5s as the Accords.

The stock 6.5s' mounting rings seem to be a little wider than most aftermarket speakers' though, and the cone and basket a little smaller and extremely shallow, and the mounting baskets (especially the door ones) are sized appropriately, which somewhat limits the aftermarket 6.5s that will fit without modification.

Malt Beverage
12-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I just did a set of alpine type s's in my 89 LXi. The 6 1/2 alpines up front were a little too deep to fit in the factory mounting brackets. When I took out the factory bracket they fell in a little too deep so the window would hit them. What i did was cut the backing out of the stock braket so the back of the speaker would fall through, but still mount far enough out so the window would open and close. I used the bracket that came with the speakers just so the holes would line up for install. The 6X9's in the rear dropped right in. Mounting this way up front allowed use of the factory speaker grills so everything is hidden and secure. For the two door coupes with more speaker room, the alpines sound great.

che3wy
03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
does anyone know if a set of alpine type r's 6.5 would fit in the front of my dx hatch? and would some type of modification be required? i didnt know if the type r's have different depth than the type s

Tomisimo
03-31-2007, 06:43 AM
In the front. You know there is a plastic busket there? (black) for speaker. You can not place element with a good magnet, unless you cut out botom from thet busket. I did it.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/My%20Honda/Interior/31032007001.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/My%20Honda/Interior/31032007006.jpg
Thet on the left is modified, on the right is original
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/My%20Honda/Interior/31032007008.jpg

Soundy
03-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I hacked off the entire back of the basket and beveled the inner edge of the ring to fit a set of Quart separates in mine. You can fit just about anything that conforms to the 6.5" form factor in there, as long as it's not too deep. I used to have a set of JBL separates (or at least the woofers from them) that I wanted to put in, but the magnets hit the windows.

Civic Accord Honda
04-21-2007, 03:10 AM
In the front. You know there is a plastic busket there? (black) for speaker. You can not place element with a good magnet, unless you cut out botom from thet busket. I did it.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/My%20Honda/Interior/31032007001.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/My%20Honda/Interior/31032007006.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/My%20Honda/Interior/31032007008.jpg
wow u cut that really neet i just smashed a home in mine with a BFH :D

Kelvin
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anybody know the maximum mounting depth for the front door speakers of an 89 LX?

Hans
05-21-2007, 06:34 PM
If you happen to do this to your bracket then you need to place something behind the speaker that covers it and protects it from the elements. There's rust on the back of your speakers and it's because you didn't cover them.

ghettogeddy
05-21-2007, 06:47 PM
If you happen to do this to your bracket then you need to place something behind the speaker that covers it and protects it from the elements. There's rust on the back of your speakers and it's because you didn't cover them.
theres rust on the back of his speakers because he prolly found them somewhere also why would a slotted piece of plastic save it from the elements of your door lol

Hans
05-21-2007, 07:34 PM
theres rust on the back of his speakers because he prolly found them somewhere also why would a slotted piece of plastic save it from the elements of your door lol
The plastic piece is slotted so that the speaker cone can move back and forth. When the cone on the speaker goes forward to make a sound, air must be able to get behind the cone to equalize the pressure around the speaker. If you look at the slots on the plastic piece you'll see that the slots are angled. This allows the air to get in, but keeps water off of the back of the speaker that leaks into the door.

ghettogeddy
05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
makes sense but its still gona get water on it i know mine haven't rusted yet and they have been in 2 dif cars scenes like 2004 maybe cause there coated with a paint like substance

Tomisimo
05-25-2007, 01:16 PM

No man, thet rust is from ather car i take them off, at the J/Y.
You dont need to cover the element, simply becouse of if You see closer at the bucket, You dont get thet much protection from humidety.

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2007, 04:48 PM
even if thay do rust its not going to hurt them

Malt Beverage
05-27-2007, 05:17 PM
My door had a 2 inch wide hole in it... no rust when i pulled my speakers out lol.

Kelvin
06-16-2007, 04:45 PM
K, the fronts are DEFINITELY 5.25s on my 89 LX. I had put some DUAL 6.5s in, and they sorta fit, but then I got a deal on some PYLE 6.5s, which are actually really 6.5", and they don't fit AT ALL.

PS: WHY THE FUCK ARE SPEAKER SIZES NOT FUCKING STANDARD!!!!??!?!?!?! ARgh. I hate modifiying all this crap and trying to get it to fit 'really nice'. ARGH>!

ghettogeddy
06-16-2007, 05:54 PM
well the stock speaker no matter what is a 6.5" / 6" f i had to modify for a 5 1/4"
polk db set i have and mtx 5 1/4" set thats in my 89

Kelvin
06-17-2007, 10:14 AM
no dude, measure your basket. 6.5" is bigger than what the basket can accept.

MessyHonda
06-17-2007, 10:27 AM
no dude, measure your basket. 6.5" is bigger than what the basket can accept.

i have 6.5 inch kicker speakers in the front...only had to cut a lil bit of the back part out. and it fit fine.

ghettogeddy
06-17-2007, 10:39 AM
i have 6.5 inch kicker speakers in the front...only had to cut a lil bit of the back part out. and it fit fine.
oh ya i have put 6.5 in a 3g hmmmmm i thought they fit lol

MessyHonda
06-17-2007, 10:54 AM
oh ya i have put 6.5 in a 3g hmmmmm i thought they fit lol

yeah they did fit remember...perfect but you still had to cut the back part of the plastic to clear the wires for the speaker.

ghettogeddy
06-17-2007, 11:00 AM
yeah they did fit remember...perfect but you still had to cut the back part of the plastic to clear the wires for the speaker.
yup

Kelvin
06-17-2007, 01:38 PM
If you measure from the edge of the speaker to another, and it's actually 6.5", there is NO WAY it will bolt into the stock basket, because the holes of the stock basket would require drilling straight into the suspension of the speaker itself.

ghettogeddy
06-17-2007, 02:03 PM
If you measure from the edge of the speaker to another, and it's actually 6.5", there is NO WAY it will bolt into the stock basket, because the holes of the stock basket would require drilling straight into the suspension of the speaker itself.
its not about the out side measurements but the basket measurements if the basket will fit in the stock bracket then ur a.o.k ive dealt with plenty of 6.5 and 5 1/4 that had dif basket measurements remeber not all speakers are alike

Kelvin
06-17-2007, 06:35 PM
remeber not all speakers are alike

Hence my rant: They fucking SHOULD be. I can't believe this isn't standardized.

88eyeguy
06-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Hence my rant: They fucking SHOULD be. I can't believe this isn't standardized.

Because that would make things simple. These audio companies get a kick from annoying the piss out of us. As for Pyle, I've never had good luck with them, so I consider them to be just what their name says. I put alpine's in mine, before that it had pioneer's--both 6.5".

There's always a way to make the speaker fit, always. Don't forget that. :)

Malt Beverage
06-18-2007, 04:13 AM
i fit 6X9's in a 6" hole lol. Usually its the depth that throws people off. I would suggest saving a little to go for a good brand of speaker. 4 Alpine's can be had for $200 brand new.

Cody
12-30-2007, 04:08 AM
I had trouble with the rear mounting brackets too. Cant remember what size the rear speakers were but they were apparently the most uncommon size. Just got some pioneers and drilled some holes in the factory brackets. easy az.

SFCA1987lx
11-26-2008, 01:45 AM
So, If I am to understand you guys correctly, my new kicker 6.5's will only fit in my front doors of my 87 lx if i just (basically) hack away some of the back plastic housing?

89sei89dx
11-26-2008, 02:02 AM
i got 6x9s in my front doors and 6x9s in the back of my hatch. i tried to make an adaptor in thhe stock location in the back.but i didnt like it so i put thhe speakers in between thhe stock locations on the black cover piece and they sound alot better.

Haxxorz
06-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I gots some polk 6.5 in the front of my 88' accord and got some 6.5 Audiobahn in the back which look sick. But they're a little too deep so it won't fit perfect leaving like half an inch above the mounting haha. I'm just too lazy to cut the hole bigger. :D

89lxisedan
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
i got a pair of 6.5 inch sony four ways up fornt and a sub in the back and thats it on my lxi. all the speakers were blown and i have been able to replace the rears yet

Rolin' Stock
07-11-2009, 01:00 PM
when i bought my dx my back speakers were blown...at lest they sound realy airy and paper like....but i went to take a look and they are honda speakers...so unless the dealer way back in 88 decided to put the speakers in the dx then they are factory.

Rolin' Stock
07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7970_Diamond+Audio+D362.5i.html#

they ar 6.25
these speakers fit in the back fittings on the 4 door dx ... they sound great...and they fit in the stock fittings no modification...they can get loud...with no distortion

shawn
08-19-2009, 12:13 PM
i put a pioneer system in. stereo front and rear speakers (from wally world).
800 watt phoenix gold 12 inch sub w/ band pass box in the trunk.
power acoustik 400x2 amp.
scoche amp wire kit w/ capacitor (from wally world)
whole setup cost me about 400 bucks...sounds greeaat!
(bandpass box makes the sub hit at least two times harder than the no-port box)

'89 lxi spectre intake

ghettogeddy
08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
i woudl have went with a dif box myself and i think this is the wrong thread lol there shoudl be a post your system thread somewhere

lostforawhile
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm running polks in mine, On one of my 81's i ran the door speakers as midbase,then built kick panel enclosures for pioneer plate speakers, took the speakers off the plate, this was a much better setup then opposing door speakers ever were, the only reason they are in the doors like that are for easy of manufacturing, as far as sound stage it's a terrible idea. the small midrange and tweeters from the pioneers combines with the less directional midbass frequencies made an excellent soundstage.

ghettogeddy
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
same i have polk db 5.25 all around

griffonks
09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/quintgriffon/kenwood2.jpg
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/quintgriffon/kenwood1.jpg

these 5.25 front speakers are a little to large, they bounce off of my original speaker covers. Anyone know where I can get some after market grills? I want to replace the 130 watt Kenwoods I have in there now.

ghettogeddy
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
what do you mean bounce off are you screwing them in

griffonks
10-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Yes I screwed them down, but they are hitting the cover and causing distortion. Thought that I had blown the left one, pulled it out and found top cone marks on that cover. I do not have any Kenwood covers for these, took them out of a Toyota Pickup when my buddy sold it this spring....