PDA

View Full Version : UberData

w00tw00t111
07-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey guys. I am going turbo after I drop in the EFI motor and convert. I have a couple questions like the other turbo thread. The things that AccordEpicenter has helped me with is my list of things to get done. Basically it consists of:
turbo t3/t4
All turbo accesssories
FMIC
DSM injectors
Homemade header/manifold
Walbaro 255lph in take fuel pump
Upgraded intake Mani. (homemade most likely)
3 angle Valve Job in the head.
Shot peened rods
Diamond forged pistons 9.5:1
Like the other thead I am extremely conscerened about the engine management. I know that I am going to run more then 6psi. And for that matter I would like to have the ability to run more then 9. So from what I understand that pretty much eliminates using the Apex'i S-AFC and the MSD BTM. From my understanding from AccordEpicenter that if I convert to OBD-1 and use a civic ecu (stock?) and accord distributor. This is what I'm most confused about
then youd need to uberdata or crome to modify the program and then get an eprom burner to burn it
My first question is what the heck does the quote mean?
The second when I convert to OBD1 (I believe there is a how-to) does the civic ecu just plug in? Is that the point of converting?
Thanks for any insight on this. Also if you have input about the turbo set up feel free to comment. But, my main delima is the engine management.

SteveDX89
07-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Please research more about OBD and OBD conversions first.

snow_man_20
07-06-2005, 05:19 AM
this is a good site, http://www.vtecfrog.com

NXRacer
07-06-2005, 06:55 AM
or www.pgmfi.org

Robs89LXi
07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Cars, in normally aspirated (NA) form, require a certain amount of air and fuel mixed in the right ratio in order to produce a good burn, or combustion. Stock ECU's come with a stock fuel "map" from the factory that is set up for this ratio. When a turbocharger is added, this forces more air into the engine, thus requiring more fuel in order to keep a good air/fuel ratio. This will require a new map for the computer in order for the engine to run properly. Our older style PJO, OBD-0 ECU's are not "chippable"; that is, the map cannot be changed on it. This is why it is advantageous to convert to an OBD-1 system, as those ECU's are "chippable" and will allow the use of free software that allows you to change the fuel maps, like Uberdata. Another advantage is that timing maps can also be changed with this upgrade. Our stock distributor uses vacuum advance however, so our timing cannot be controlled by the ECU, but has to be set manually. With the OBD-1 ECU upgrade, you should also change to an OBD-1 electronically advanced distributor, which is controlled by the ECU. This will allow you to now use the Uberdata software to modify the timing maps in the OBD-1 ECU to better tune for the increased air and fuel injection.

*EDIT* Be warned that this is a simplified explanation. There is a lot involved in doing this conversion, or boosting an engine, so be sure to research extensively before attempting **

2drSE-i
07-06-2005, 12:06 PM
sounds like a good mod....thanks for explaining it, i was totally lost as well

not that i really need it with my ALL stock engine (including factory SE-i exhaust system, currently rusting off)

AccordEpicenter
07-06-2005, 12:45 PM
yeah... pgmfi.org is a very good resource. So is homemadeturbo.com. Its gonna take some wiring and some research to get it to work

w00tw00t111
07-06-2005, 11:10 PM
yeah... pgmfi.org is a very good resource. So is homemadeturbo.com. Its gonna take some wiring and some research to get it to work
I've been reading a bunch about it after your last pm. But honestly it seems like I am getting 2 totally different opinions. Some people say that it is an extremely easy thing to do. Other's say that it's insanely difficult. Some say to buy a conversion harness and modify it. Others say just to solder the wire your self. And it seems as though I can't find an article on here or anywhere that says specifically what you have to do. I honestly don't know what to do. Now I'm seriously considereing buying a SAFC and a BMC and just running a really low psi. If anyone has ever actually done the conversion please impart your knowledge! So, that people can finally get an honest answer about how difficult it is and are then able to decide for them selves if they want to do it or not. Thanks

Robs89LXi
07-07-2005, 03:12 AM
If anyone has ever actually done the conversion please impart your knowledge! So, that people can finally get an honest answer about how difficult it is and are then able to decide for them selves if they want to do it or not. Thanks

Ha, Ha.... good luck! I've tried PMing the guys that have done it, and even called directly to one, but nobody want's to share :thumbdn: . I think it's pretty sad to have members like that, but oh well.

w00tw00t111
07-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Ha, Ha.... good luck! I've tried PMing the guys that have done it, and even called directly to one, but nobody want's to share :thumbdn: . I think it's pretty sad to have members like that, but oh well.
Yeah. True. I mean what's the reason to do it? It's not as if they will be loosing massive amounts of money by sharing. :thumbdn:

shepherd79
07-07-2005, 05:31 AM
there is only one member on this board who converted to OBD-1 and i haven't seen him for a while.

snow_man_20
07-07-2005, 05:46 AM
or www.pgmfi.org

good site,

Robs89LXi
07-07-2005, 07:22 AM
there is only one member on this board who converted to OBD-1 and i haven't seen him for a while.

I know of Darryl from Openloop (through Justanothermike) and Guaynabo89 so far. Both shared some (and for that we are grateful), but no "how to" for sure.

http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=18160
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37494