PDA

View Full Version : Needing a list of 4x100 brake options

FyreDaug
07-02-2005, 06:20 PM
I am going to be working on a brake upgrade on my own, probably stuff that hasnt been done yet.

Our rotors on stock DX 3geez are 11" correct? And you need atleast a 13" to fit (11 for rotor + 1 for caliper, giving 12 to fit under a 13 [afaik])

What other cars come with 12 or 13" rotors in the 4x100 bolt pattern? I will be custom making my own brackets and fabbing it up, making sure everything works on the parts car before I go putting it on mine (besides Ive only got 13's now anyways, going with 15's so I'd prefer a list of 13" rotors). Both brakes will be the same size front and back.

What should I do about a proportioning valve for discs on the rear if both will be the same size? (since it will be converted) Its mostly just for looks anyways, I dont like the look of smaller rotors in the back, id rather get the same size and limit pressure to the rears.

I'm at work right now and I dont have a whole lot of time to do some researching on my own, so any information you get for me will be greatly appreciated and I'll do what I can to return the favor some time.

Also, what about the e-brake? Would it be possible with a different car's brake system on the rear, I will have to get a different cable or can I make the factory DX one work?

I just broke the bleed screw on my car today while changing the rear shoes, and its just pushing me further to get this project on the road. So again, any information would be very helpful.

If everything is a success I will post a complete how-to on how I did everything, along with pictures of every step. I think it could be a cool addition to our brbake family upgrades, instead of just converting to factory discs and upgrading the front with aftermarket stuff. This would essentially be much cheaper than aftermarket, you'll just have to remember that your pads will be for a different car :p

EDIT: I should also mention, that the calipers dont have to be from the car the discs are from, as everythign will be fabbed up, it will just have to be from the same size rotor. A 13" NSX caliper on a civic disc for instance (if NSX's are 13's... but you get the point)

Oldblueaccord
07-02-2005, 11:18 PM
I am going to be working on a brake upgrade on my own, probably stuff that hasnt been done yet.

Our rotors on stock DX 3geez are 11" correct? And you need atleast a 13" to fit (11 for rotor + 1 for caliper, giving 12 to fit under a 13 [afaik])

What other cars come with 12 or 13" rotors in the 4x100 bolt pattern? I will be custom making my own brackets and fabbing it up, making sure everything works on the parts car before I go putting it on mine (besides Ive only got 13's now anyways, going with 15's so I'd prefer a list of 13" rotors). Both brakes will be the same size front and back.

What should I do about a proportioning valve for discs on the rear if both will be the same size? (since it will be converted) Its mostly just for looks anyways, I dont like the look of smaller rotors in the back, id rather get the same size and limit pressure to the rears.

I'm at work right now and I dont have a whole lot of time to do some researching on my own, so any information you get for me will be greatly appreciated and I'll do what I can to return the favor some time.

Also, what about the e-brake? Would it be possible with a different car's brake system on the rear, I will have to get a different cable or can I make the factory DX one work?

I just broke the bleed screw on my car today while changing the rear shoes, and its just pushing me further to get this project on the road. So again, any information would be very helpful.

If everything is a success I will post a complete how-to on how I did everything, along with pictures of every step. I think it could be a cool addition to our brbake family upgrades, instead of just converting to factory discs and upgrading the front with aftermarket stuff. This would essentially be much cheaper than aftermarket, you'll just have to remember that your pads will be for a different car :p

EDIT: I should also mention, that the calipers dont have to be from the car the discs are from, as everythign will be fabbed up, it will just have to be from the same size rotor. A 13" NSX caliper on a civic disc for instance (if NSX's are 13's... but you get the point)

This is a good start

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=40346

the lxi brake rotor size is listed as 10.3 "
or
Brembo number 25275
Overall: 262 mm

Min. thicknes 19mm

Overall height 51.2mm

NSX 91-96 rotor Brembo #25561

37 Overall

This be a 12" rotor upgrade with some work on the caliper bracket

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/29-700

this is the old AEM kit powerslot bought them.

Not to be coy but I am working on something in this line with another member but until I have it done and on my car I'd rather not say to much. Anything over 11.1" rotor your going to have to go aftermarket. You ll be very lucky to find dual piston calipers (Honda) used.

wp

smufguy
07-03-2005, 12:57 AM
FyreDaug, i dont think you can possibly do anything that no one has done before. We got guys running AEM big brake kit and a guy with a supercharged B18 (non-forum member whom Adam posted) running a wilwood 4piston caliper up front.

I myself will be using the wilwood or Brembo (depending on which one is cheaper and available ) that is used on the civics and tegs (they use 4X100, some of them). From talking to wilwood techs, their 12" rotor coupled with their 4piston caliper would require a 14" inner diameter rim. They suggested that i should run a 17" rim if i wanna safely clear the brake system, and some 16" rims could fit.

FOr the propotioning valve, you need to run an adjustable prop valve that wilwood makes ( u can get them for under 40 bux) from summit or other online stores. BUt the only thing is, you have to change your brake set up from diagonal braking to front and back set up, cause all the propotioning valve do not and cannot work with diagonal braking setups. So either you run your seperate hardline, or just mess with the stock ones.

Machining the caliper support brackets are gonna be your biggest hurdle in the whole project since you have to be very precise in machining out the brackets. The way i was gonna do it, was to measure everything up and draw them up on the CAD, design a support bracket and then use that to machine out the actual piece. This way i dont have to worry about mis alignment and stuff.

Strugglebucket
07-03-2005, 01:57 AM
this is a good document for finding bolt patterns and also center bore measurements for most rotors:

http://www.alurad.ch/katalogseiten05/DM_TECH_2005_APP_GUIDE.pdf

the buybrakes.com site is also good for finding rotor diameters and height(offset) measurements.

what you have to remember is that honda only uses 2 or 3 different caliper/ caliper bracket designs on all their cars. when they want a different rotor diameter or wheel offset they compensate for it by designing that particular hub assembly differently. at least that has been the experience from my junkyard swapping forays. :uh:

FyreDaug
07-03-2005, 11:56 AM
This was going to be a junk yard upgrade, whats the biggest rotor that can fit under a 15" Will a 12" even work?

smufguy
07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
This was going to be a junk yard upgrade, whats the biggest rotor that can fit under a 15" Will a 12" even work?

nope. Read my previous post. The calipers sit more than an inch and a half from the edge of the rotor, in some cases. So if ur thinking about tucking a 12" rotor with the stock caliper set up (i dont know why u might wanna do that), You might be able to get away with some 16"s, its only cause the inner diameter of the rims are not enough to clear the total diameter of the caliper top to the imaginary caliper top on the direct opposite.

Oldblueaccord
07-03-2005, 11:57 PM

http://www.gs-r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=110144&

your not reading whats being posted or searching. This link is an 11" brake setup on a 95 GSR. By all apearances thats a big as it gets on stock 15" rims.
Good luck.

wp

rjudgey
07-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Check out my Cardomain site has my custom brakes on their, uses 4 pot calipers with 41mm pistons and 300mm disks and their under 15" wheels just but you have to make sure you get race 15" wheels as they have more clearance not all 15" wheels will fit caliper and disk in them.

FyreDaug
07-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah sorry I missed that, long night of drinking. Thanks for the information.