PDA

View Full Version : Amp suggestions for the setup

leonardotmnt
07-03-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking of going with the Alpine SPR-17LS components up front (if I can get them to fit with the 3" mounting depth?) and the SPR-69LP's in the back. Does anyone have any amp suggstions to run these four speakers? Some things I wasn't sure of was do I need to have an amp that will cover the RMS wattage of the speakers above and beyond what they're rated or can I get one that just covers or is slightly less powerful than the speakers. Like if I got an amp that ran 60Wx4 at 4ohms. Would that be enough for the speakers even though the front is rated at 70W RMS and the rear at 55W RMS. Thanks a bunch.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-03-2005, 12:48 PM
First off, my old speakers had a mounting deapth of 66mm i believe and just fit... so you might have some issues... but should be able to make it work.

IMO the best sounding alpine components are the type S components.

Next.. as far as an amp is concerned... If you have an amp set up with that kind of power. I would bridge it down to a 2 channel and run it to your components, then run the rear speakers off of deck power.

If you have more then enough power for a set of speakers that is a good thing, and you will have better control over your front stage, underpowering speakers is never good for them. Your rear speakers are coax i assume?..,. if so, then running them off of deck power will be fine, becasue your front stage is most important i would think of your rear fill last.

So to add on that... either a 4 channel amp, or a 2 channel amp would work best for your situation

leonardotmnt
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Would any of these amps be a good choice? http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3392 (The Phoenix gold R8.0.4) or the Profile AP1040 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TRYhsdm5G97/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&id=features_and_specs&i=489AP1040
or the Kicker KX350.4 http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2768 If more than one might be good any ideas on what's best? Or if not any other specific ones (preferably 200-250 or under)? One more thing. Is the Type R or Type S Alpine's higher product line? I thought it was the S but they're cheaper than Type R's so I wasn't sure. Sorry to ask so much but I'm pretty new to this and just trying to do things right so I don't have to spend more later. Thanks

Hash_man_Se_i
07-03-2005, 02:18 PM
The type R is the higher line... but IMO the type S is a better speaker.

As far as an amp, if you do not want to spend a lot, I would much rather have an alpine amp then any of those which you listed.

leonardotmnt
07-03-2005, 03:30 PM
So I think I might go with the Alpine MRV-F345 amp and Infinity reference components and reference 2 way 6x9's in the back or the Type R or Type S components and the same type 6x9's in the back. I want to hear both the R and S before I decide which I like better but does anyone have opinions on whether the Alpines or the Infinitys are better?

88eyeguy
07-05-2005, 07:11 AM
for staight speakers, i'd go with infinity because of the highs. with components, though, i would say that alpine is your best bet. and type S does sound better for speakers, while the type R's are really good for subs.