PDA

View Full Version : burning smell

shepherd79
08-10-2002, 03:38 PM
well, i was comming home, and from no where i started to smell the burning smell. like the one when Sub melts and goes in smoke. i have done it before.
So i turned my stereo off just to make sure.
Oh yeah and it didn't smell untill i started to follow nice nissan sentra.
Do you guys thing that my Sub is burning up or what can it be?
I am pushing 150W into 200W sub (power reading in RMS). my gain set in the middle. The HU pushing 4V preout for the sub.
So what can it be? can it be that i have my gain set too high?
I just can't hear the clipping shound, i just don't know what it sounds like.
any reply would help.
thanks a lot guys.

Bobs89LXi
08-10-2002, 05:00 PM
There are other electrical items in your car that produce that "burnt wire" smell. I had the same smell occur just as my blower moter diode decided to go into self-destruct mode. If it happens again, I would go on sniff patrol, especially in the dash area.

89bumblethumper
08-10-2002, 09:16 PM
your sub should be fine...cause of the 200 watt is RMS then the max is higher...so the burning smell shouldnt be the sub...unless you have an old amp that just wants to die.

catalin
08-11-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm assuming that you're running an amp to the sub?? and what do you have the amp wired to??

shepherd79
08-12-2002, 03:56 AM
everything is wired to the battery. 4G wire goes from the battery to the distribution block.
i don't think it was my sub. i didn't find any smell in the trunk.
i think it is something in my dash or somewhere else.

gr3k0sLaV
08-13-2002, 05:12 AM
yer I had that one time and it just went away.

POS carb
08-14-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 89bumblethumper
your sub should be fine...cause of the 200 watt is RMS then the max is higher...so the burning smell shouldnt be the sub...unless you have an old amp that just wants to die.

a 100 watt amp can fry a 200 watt sub no problem. what happens is the amplifier gets over-exerted (it 'clips') the electrical music signal gets clipped into squarewaves and this sends a series of dc pulses to your subs and fries the coil. it's better to overpower than to underpower a sub.

88lxicoupe
08-14-2002, 03:20 PM
got ne neons ornething becasue i wired my trunk with 4 neons and plugged them into my subs. shit lookd hot. it went to the beat of the bass but i wanted to turn my amp up to see what would happen and it started cookin hahaha

shepherd79
08-14-2002, 04:44 PM
no i checked it wasn't my sub, i think it was somewhere under the dash or it was comming from a Sentra in the front of me.