PDA

View Full Version : lost 5th gear

halxi
07-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Well on my way to wyoming last night, i was passing a car and going up a slight hill at around 80mph (speedlimit is 75) and right when the car hit my blind spot, my car stopped accelerating and the rpms jumped up. Almost like the tranny came out of gear, or the clutch started slipping hardcore. At first i thought both of my CV's gave up, but then i thought "how the hell?". Well after trying to get it back in gear and realizing it was still in the right spot for 5th, i dropped to 4th and 65mph and eventually hit the shoulder to pop the hood and check under the car to make sure nothing else happend.

So, i have a couple questions.

Whats best for the car? Drive it with 1-4 still good until it drops completely?
Buy a new 5th gear set and have it installed?
Buy a complete tranny?
Pay to have mine rebuilt?

If i replace the 5th gear set, or anything except for driving it on 1-4 until it drops, im going to be replacing the clutch/flywheel while the tranny is out.

The irony to the story... not 2 days ago i was telling my friend i work with "250,000 miles and the only major problems its ever had was the water pump going out." then last night this happens, by far passes up the water pump situation.

I dont want to let my 3g go :( but it may be the only thing i can do, time to move on. Unfortunatly alot sooner then i was hoping.

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Well on my way to wyoming last night, i was passing a car and going up a slight hill at around 80mph (speedlimit is 75) and right when the car hit my blind spot, my car stopped accelerating and the rpms jumped up. Almost like the tranny came out of gear, or the clutch started slipping hardcore. At first i thought both of my CV's gave up, but then i thought "how the hell?". Well after trying to get it back in gear and realizing it was still in the right spot for 5th, i dropped to 4th and 65mph and eventually hit the shoulder to pop the hood and check under the car to make sure nothing else happend.

So, i have a couple questions.

Whats best for the car? Drive it with 1-4 still good until it drops completely?
Buy a new 5th gear set and have it installed?
Buy a complete tranny?
Pay to have mine rebuilt?

If i replace the 5th gear set, or anything except for driving it on 1-4 until it drops, im going to be replacing the clutch/flywheel while the tranny is out.

The irony to the story... not 2 days ago i was telling my friend i work with "250,000 miles and the only major problems its ever had was the water pump going out." then last night this happens, by far passes up the water pump situation.

I dont want to let my 3g go :( but it may be the only thing i can do, time to move on. Unfortunatly alot sooner then i was hoping.why not see if someone out here has a good used tranny?? there are a number of things that can come loose in the fifth gear assembly it's up to you if you want to have it fixed or find a used transmission. it would probably take you a couple of days to change it out. it's really unusual for fifth gear to strip out, i think it's something in the internal shifting mechanism. there are guys all over this site that have parts cars sitting around and i'm sure someone has a trans-a-mission(as johnny cash would have said) they would sell you resonable.

3gn86lxi
07-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Someone on here was selling a lude tranny. If it was me I would get it, it's a bolt in. The only difference is shorter gear ratios. :)

nswst8
07-04-2005, 04:41 PM
You don't have to drop the tranny to replace 5th gear. Just replace 5th gear and you should be in good shape.

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 05:23 PM
You don't have to drop the tranny to replace 5th gear. Just replace 5th gear and you should be in good shape.i'm looking at an exploded picture of the transmission and there isno way you can get that gear out without taking it all apart. you can take the cover off and look at the gear but you have to install and uninstall the shaft and countershaft together. they have to be in mesh according to the book. besides you have to take the shaft all apart to get the gears off. no one knows if it's even the gears yet . there are a lot of parts in there that have to work together to make the gears engage. does your car go into reverse? i was wondering because the reverse and fifth gear share a gear shift shaft. I'm like Mr. Scott with his tech manuals

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-04-2005, 06:57 PM
i'm looking at an exploded picture of the transmission and there isno way you can get that gear out without taking it all apart. you can take the cover off and look at the gear but you have to install and uninstall the shaft and countershaft together. they have to be in mesh according to the book. besides you have to take the shaft all apart to get the gears off. no one knows if it's even the gears yet . there are a lot of parts in there that have to work together to make the gears engage. does your car go into reverse? i was wondering because the reverse and fifth gear share a gear shift shaft. I'm like Mr. Scott with his tech manuals

It is very common for the fifth gearset to fail in these cars because of the way the oil passages are designed in the casing of the transmission. A low oil level in the tranny can easily cause lack of lubrication at the fifth gearset. Replacing the fifth gear set can and has been done without removing the transmission. If your theory was true lostforawhile, then the shop manual and the Haynes manual would not require the fifth gear set to be installed in the very last steps of the transmission reassembly, AFTER the case halves are put back together. This particular case sounds like a typical stripped fifth gear set. If you don't want to spend too much money, you can visit a local junk yard and find a good gear set. Its recommended that you pick up new hardware (nuts, washers, etc.) from a dealer. Hope this helps. :)

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 07:09 PM
for what those parts cost i would just look for another used transmission that prelude transmission would be a good bet. i know there are several people on here who are parting out cars right now. if they would combine naked women and tech books men would never leave the crapper

cubert
07-04-2005, 08:09 PM
i say drive it until it completely craps out or until you can put the couple days aside to fix it...im sure you can make it around in 4th no problem

SQ is the SQUAD
07-04-2005, 08:29 PM
unlessu do alot of highway driving, you can do without 5th for a while
when i got my accord the tranny was gone. i had one rebuilt and the 5th gear was gone befoe i could ever get to use it so it went back into the shop and they fixed it again. i dident put too many miles on the tranny before i pulled the a20a and sold the tranny. hondaman87 brought it and said that 5 gear was burning again and he replaced it

halxi
07-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Well racerx lives in the springs and he said he would help me out, i might be borrowing about $1500 from the cred union and go ahead and do everything that needs to be done while im at it. Find a used tranny, look it over, make sure its alright. Replace all the struts, replace the front strut mounts, drop it 2", new rotors.

Thanks for the input, a prelude tranny doesnt seem like a bad idea. Would probably help in acceleration if im thinking straight lol. Linkage and all that would be the same with the lude tranny too? Probably harder/more exspensive to find/replace though.

What ill probably end up doing, take the last week of july off since my parents are going camping in lake city (southern colorado), then stop off in colorado springs and take 2-3 days to replace the tranny and MAYBE other things, then proceed to meet my parents further south. I dont know for sure what im going to do yet, i still need to talk to a few people and check some things.

lostforawhile
07-05-2005, 01:25 AM
if that old transmission didn't weigh so much to ship i might consider buying it from you give me a project to work on like i don't have enough. if you have someone to help it won't be that big of a deal to replace that transmission. just put new driveshaft seals in the new transmission when you replace it. it's easy to do while it's sitting on the floor. if you've put that much work in your car might as well fix it and drive it. at least you know for sure what all is wrong with it. if you buy a used car you never know what you are going to get. i think it was second generatin prelude? they have the same motor. the 2.0 prelude and accord have the same motor i know remember they are sister cars. it should just bolt in with no problem i think the gear ratios were a little different the preludes were set for sportier driving i just can't remember what generation it was. i know i was looking at a prelude in the junk yard and it had the same motor as the third gen accord.

halxi
07-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Id be more then happy to sell it to you, depends on what i decide to do though.

My uncle in laws brother has a 93 Toyota Pickup, ext. cab, white, gray int., but the v6 engine is blown (the guys son ran the truck at 110 for almost 40 miles and it overheated). My uncle thinks he will sell it for around $1500, then i can put a new motor in it for about $1000 or so (and my uncle would help me drop that in), and id still save about $3500 off of a running one in that year. I havent fully decided what i want to do, i love my 3g, but it may be time to move on.

On the other end, if i keep the 3g, im going to borrow about $3500 and go over EVERYTHING.

lostforawhile
07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
keep the three gee keep the three gee keep the three gee you don't need no stinkin' pickup?! hehe

halxi
07-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I have dirtbikes, and i meet my family for camping and such after i get off work or whatever. Thats what i did in wyoming, if i had replaced my struts i DEFINATLY would not meet them up there again. 32 miles of gravel road... took me 3 hours to clean/vacuum my car. A fullsize truck sure kicks up ALOT of dust... and i have no A/C so i cant keep my windows up or ill fry to death lol

A pickup is more practical for me... but i love my 3g lol