PDA

View Full Version : More feedback out of power steering?

Hash_man_Se_i
07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't believe I have seen this topic brought up before, and I have wondered about it for quite some time now.

I like having my power steering, because ive driven civics and whatnot without it, and IMO i couldn't do that every day..

However, the power steering in my accord is so effortless and provides little to no feedback most of the time. I much preffer the power steering in my dad's TL, or my moms old Acura EL(acura civic basically)

Does anyone know, if we can swap in a different steering rack or something to change this.

Thanks,
Jason

shepherd79
07-07-2005, 05:27 AM
i think you are on your on with this one.
you probably would have to do some major custom piping if you swap a rack from other car.

FyreDaug
07-07-2005, 05:40 AM
What about a different power steering pump with less output? Would that be an option?

Also, I dont think this one is a good idea, but what about putting an underdrive pulley on the PS?

Blkblurr
07-07-2005, 08:44 AM
You should loose most of your power assist when you increase speed. If you don't you may have a speed sensor problem on your variable assist valve on your rack. I have great feedback when crusing in the highway.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
See thats the thing, I dont just want it for when im cruising on the highway, I want it for ripping around town and whatnot.

nutmeg_runner
07-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I read in my '88 Service Manual about a Rack Guide Adjustment (18-23 in Paul's online manual). It requires a 14mm wrench and a 40 mm lock nut wrench! I have not tried adjusting mine but perhaps someone else has who can give you some feedback on the effect of tightening the guide screw.

AZmike
07-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Add caster. This increases the distance of the contact patch from the kingpin axis which will cause an increase in steering effort, feedback, and self-centering. As an added bonus you get a little steering induced camber. Mine is maxxed out at 2.2 degrees. The difference is definitely noticable.

Blkblurr
07-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I read in my '88 Service Manual about a Rack Guide Adjustment (18-23 in Paul's online manual). It requires a 14mm wrench and a 40 mm lock nut wrench! I have not tried adjusting mine but perhaps someone else has who can give you some feedback on the effect of tightening the guide screw.

Don't mess with this. It is a preload of the rack to pinion gear. You don't want it too tight because it will wear and you will end up replacing it and maybe even the entire rack assembly.

Blkblurr
07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Add caster. This increases the distance of the contact patch from the kingpin axis which will cause an increase in steering effort, feedback, and self-centering. As an added bonus you get a little steering induced camber. Mine is maxxed out at 2.2 degrees. The difference is definitely noticable.

This is what you want to try Hash_man_Se_i

Hash_man_Se_i
07-07-2005, 10:44 PM
^^ Hmm... thanks for the advice guys... as soon as I get some money i'll have to go get an alignment and get that done

lostforawhile
07-08-2005, 01:50 AM
What about a different power steering pump with less output? Would that be an option?

Also, I dont think this one is a good idea, but what about putting an underdrive pulley on the PS?you lose al assist above 15 miles an hour it changes to a manual rack and pinion. all the power steering is for is parking. it's a standard rack and pinion it just has power assist added. they really did their homework with this one, a lot of the early hondas were manual racks so people expected a certain road feel. it really is a sports car, especially the hatch hehe well i'm biased, these were not just cheap crappy little cars, remember how many awards they won from car and driver. honda had a reputation to maintain. if you ask me it has just as much road feel as a full manual rack.

Blkblurr
07-08-2005, 04:57 AM
you lose al assist above 15 miles an hour it changes to a manual rack and pinion. all the power steering is for is parking. it's a standard rack and pinion it just has power assist added. they really did their homework with this one, a lot of the early hondas were manual racks so people expected a certain road feel. it really is a sports car, especially the hatch hehe well i'm biased, these were not just cheap crappy little cars, remember how many awards they won from car and driver. honda had a reputation to maintain. if you ask me it has just as much road feel as a full manual rack.
That's why I think he has a problem with his speed sensor or vaps valve on the rack. It sounds like he has full assist all the time.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-08-2005, 12:05 PM
hmmm... this is very interesting. I might have to check this out/

FyreDaug
07-08-2005, 02:12 PM
How does caster work again? How does the steering input change the angle of the wheels on the camber side?

And how do you adjust it?

AZmike
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Caster is added by shortening the radius rod in front of the lower control arm (turn the nuts on each side of the front cross member). Increasing caster tilts the kingpin axis backwards (the axis that the upright moves when it is turned to steer). As the axis tilts backward from vertical (zero caster) a fraction of the steering angle tilts the wheel inward slightly in the direction of the turn.