PDA

View Full Version : EQ connection on stock HU as analog in/out?

frantik
07-06-2005, 07:18 PM
OK so got an eq recently for my stock head unit and it has got me thinking that perhaps the same port where you plug the EQ into could be used as an output for an amp and an input for a cd player or something.

has anybody ever played with the connection? i'm about to have 2 eqs here pretty soon (the one i have now is missing a knob and that sucks) and i might take one apart and perhaps use the cable to experiment.. though perhas i should get another head unit in case i fuq one up hehe

also, how was the oem cd player hooked up? did it replace the HU or did it get plugged into the same eq port?

i know i should just get a better stereo but i like the stock look :D plus it matches my eq :p

POS carb
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
you can get the audio in and out from the headunit by seeing which plugs are jumped by the connector. there should be 4 pins in the connector cap, I believe these are just jumpers for the headunit's in and out + connection. I did a similar rig on a Saab Clarion unit and I figured out the connections by cutting the cable and reconnecting all the wires to a terminal block and disconnected one at a time until I figured out what each did. The Honda one should be a very simple model to "crack"

I had asked before if anyone had the pinouts for the stock EQ but no one responded

frantik
07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
thanks for the leads :)

i got my second eq today so i'm gonna take apart the one that is being replaced and see if i can learn anything.. if not i might just take the cable and do as you did, though i dont have a terminal block.. i dunno what it even is actually lol.

i hope i didnt lose that little radio plug thing that you say is the jumper but it's not where i thoght it was :( can anybody help me out with a pic or even a description of which pins are there?

frantik
07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
nm found the plug thingy :D

frantik
07-08-2005, 04:58 AM
i opened up the eq and pulled the cable.. looking at the way the connections are grouped and the insulation im pretty sure that there are two analog audio ccnnections.. one is the blue/green/black wire group that is wrapped in brown insulation, and the other is the white/yellow/black group with the purple insulation

http://www.swiftlytilting.com/images/accord/wires.jpg

i'm guessing the orange and red wires are the power lines and the big black cable is the ground.

now i just have to figure out which is the audio in and which is the out.. if this works out like i think it will then i'll be pretty pleased :D cause im sick of listening to cds thru the tape adapter so if i had an "auxiliary input" that be dope and it's better to get preamp output if i ever wanna hook up an amp to the head unit.. i'd probably wire it so the amp also was wired to the aux input. lol maybe ill make a mini mixer to match the eq and ill have the beginiings of a portable studio :smokin:

frantik
07-08-2005, 09:54 AM
yo POS carb i got that pin out for ya :D

7 1

6 8 2

5 3

1 blue
2 white
3 black
4 orange
5 red
6 yellow
7 green
8 black

Pins 1, 7, 8 are grouped together - Likely stereo audio
Pins 2, 3, 6 are grouped together - Likely stereo audio
Pins 4, 5 are not grouped, suspected power and/or
Pin 4 may provide some kind of interaction with the head unit

The metal ring around the outside of the pins is the ground connection

I'm also gonna guess just by the locations of the pins that both green and yellow correspond to the left channel of their respective stereo connections... and maybe the green/blue are the input channels but who knows hehe. i gotta hit up radio shack or someplace to get connectors and whatnot.. perhaps ill find a terminal block hehe

frantik
07-10-2005, 08:08 AM
ok i actually tested the connections and here's what i got... all my predtions were wrong lol

The EQ/CD player connection on the stock head unit is between the output of the radio/cassette and the input on the amp (volume knob, faders, etc). The audio input/output singnal is the standard pre-amp singnal that you find in most
consumer electronics

(diagram is show as if you were looking at the
male pins)

7 1 1 blue - left stereo out (from HU
2 white - left stereo in (to HU)
6 8 2 3 black - ground for stereo in
4 orange - ?
5 3 5 red - power ?
4 6 yellow - right stereo in
7 green - right stereo out
8 black - ground for stereo out

The metal ring around the outside
of the pins is the ground connection

the type of connector you need to plug into the socket on the HU is a male 8 pin DIN connector. I plugged in my cd player directly to the input and it sounded way better than compared to the cassette adapter.

if you want to be able to listen to the radio and use the external audio source you'll probably need to use a switch to choose between the two sources.

I'm gotta take it a bit further and build something so that I can have the external connection go to the EQ before it goes to the head unit and any amps i plan on getting in the future. :D i'm also thinking of adding some custom features like an LED VU meter and i might even add some of the features of the head unit like volume control and bass/treble since the external signal wouldnt get those things.. im practically gonna be making my own custom head unit :D it'll fit nicely in the cassette holder below the eq

if you guys want wireing diagrams and/or a how to lemme know :)

POS carb
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
the orange might be illumination, are there any bulbs inside the unit? On the Acura one I have it looks like the "Equalize" button lights up

frantik
07-11-2005, 03:52 PM
ahh i didn't think of that.. you're probably rght. yeah there is an LED behind the word EQUALIZE and there is also a small filament bulb with a blue cover which is behind the power button and shines thru the clear plastic surrounding the button. the word equalize lights up when i press the button but perhaps the blue light comes on when i turn on the lights.. i'll have to see if there is a difference. if not perhaps the one bulb is burned out in my installed unit.. luckily i've got a "parts eq" lol so i can swap it

frantik
07-17-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah the EQ definitely illuminates when you turn on the headlights.. im sure thats what the orange wire is for

I was able to add the port for the EQ into the circuit.. it's sweet now I can choose between the head unit input or alternative line in. the sound is routed through the EQ and then back to the amplifier in the head unit :D I can also use the line out to connect active crossovers instead of using passive ones which i'm sure will sound waaay better especially since the external amps wouldn't get a signal that had been amplified by the HU (with questionable quality) first

g2driver
09-07-2005, 07:01 PM
OK. How about using the stock EQ with a aftermarket deck? I think the only wires into the HU before the AMP are AUX In. And if I wanted to play a CD or Radio, it would play the AUX. So could the EQ be set up after amplification? And you would need one EQ for each pair of speakers, for fading.

~Matt

g2driver
09-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Never mind those wires are thinner than they look in the pic. Either buy another amp for the speakers, or a new EQ I think.

Also, (I have the Acura Model, the wire colours are the same), when I hooked it up to a battery, the orange wire did light up all the lights, but also seemed to be the power wire, although I have no way to test the unit yet. When I connected the red wire it sparked, and melted the wire, the EQ still seems to work, connecting the RED to negitive did nothing. Weird. What voltage does the dimmer wire run on?

~Matt

ghettogeddy
07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
sorry to re open an old thred but im trying to use and stock deck and still use my 4 ch to run my 5 1/4's is this posible to do with the stereo out's in the digram above

Hash_man_Se_i
07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
^^ ghetto, you just need to use the factory speaker outputs, and the high level input on your amp, or if your amp doesn't have you you need a high-low level converter.

Will convert your high level out to an rca jack.

frantik
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
it's possible to use the stock deck and get low level output from the stock HU but the output is before the HU's amp and bass/treble controls so you couldnt use it to control the volume.

it's a lot better idea to do what hashman suggested

ghettogeddy
07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
ok so i cant use the eq for high output well anyways frantik do u still have an eq laying around

frantik
07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
i have one but it's going in my car :D

AccordB20A
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
funny you post this thread just this morning i was playing with the eq input on the stock pioneer headunit. i hooked a cd walkman to it :D

frantik
12-14-2006, 03:21 AM
here's a wiring diagram on how to make the line in be switchable and still use the eq too :)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6540/wiregj7.gif

there ya go geddy :D

ghettogeddy
12-14-2006, 08:23 AM
ok so my #1and#7 are white and orange
and #2 and #6 are both white

frantik
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
dont worry about the colors.. just the locations of the pins

ghettogeddy
12-14-2006, 10:49 AM
well like u said the 2 wirs in the shrink tupe are my in and out but they dont match up with the pin out i wounder if it has to do with it being 2 dif models

frantik
12-14-2006, 11:57 AM
could be.. i assume they would interchange but maybe not. could be why it didn't work when you plugged it in :dunno:

frantik
12-14-2006, 12:34 PM
anyways it doesn't matter as long as your current eq works and you match up the pin locations cause we're just making a pass thru device. you can determine which pin is which with a battery and a cheap speaker, led, light bulb, etc

ghettogeddy
12-14-2006, 07:59 PM
ok so the eq u used was the newer one right and your parts one was new

just clarifiying caus ei havent opend my new one to look

frantik
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
you dont need to open up your new one :)..

and my old eq was just like my current one

POS carb
12-29-2006, 02:13 PM
lol I can't believe this post is back up
I plan to try this out, I'll get some photos when I do it.

Civic Accord Honda
07-08-2007, 02:44 PM
hmm now that i know wich wires do what i might be abel to wire it up to my new deck

Civic Accord Honda
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Do Not And I Repet Do Not Give Power To The Orange Wire It Makes Lots Of Smoke

russiankid
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Do Not And I Repet Do Not Give Power To The Orange Wire It Makes Lots Of Smoke
:rofl: