PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump question.

Acid X
07-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Alright, im in need of some assistance. I've been thinking about installing a fuel pump switch in my car, but i'm at a loss. I don't know where to look for the fuel pump wire. I have a good diagram on how to hook one up, and as soon as i get it finished i could probably create a tutorial.

BUT, i need to find out where the fuel pump wire is, and what color it is. Also, i need to know where the +12v ignition wire is, not +12v constant.

Please help! :)

shepherd79
07-07-2005, 05:23 AM
why do you want connect fuel pump on a switch?

Acid X
07-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Kill switch. Theft prevention.. :)

You know where i could find the wire?

POS carb
07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
fold down your back seat, on the drivers side under the rug is a little round metal plate, pry it off and see the fuel pump wires!
YOu can also rig one to the fuse box, put a switch instead of a fuse.
You can also find 12V ignition above all the fuses in a slot labled "II"

Acid X
07-08-2005, 08:23 PM
fold down your back seat, on the drivers side under the rug is a little round metal plate, pry it off and see the fuel pump wires!
YOu can also rig one to the fuse box, put a switch instead of a fuse.
You can also find 12V ignition above all the fuses in a slot labled "II"

Would that wire provide power when the car is starting, and while it is running? I read that if the wire doesnt get power after the car is turned on, then the pump will shut off after the ignition stops tryign to start the car.

Thank you, by the way.

njpeter
07-09-2005, 07:12 PM
to go near the fuel pump access cover, think steve mequeen, the blob lives under that cover. Do it at the fusebox. I have a tiny switch in my glovebox that kills the iginition. The handle is a stale candy bar :-)

Acid X
07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
to go near the fuel pump access cover, think steve mequeen, the blob lives under that cover. Do it at the fusebox. I have a tiny switch in my glovebox that kills the iginition. The handle is a stale candy bar :-)

Well, i want to do it from there.. The only thing is that i don't know what wire i need to look for. Does anyone mind telling me what color the wire is and where i can find it at, so i can snip it and install my switch and relay?

DanG86LX
07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
AcidX,

"Been there done that"

The wire from fuse box coming from Fuel Pump Relay (FPR) is on connector C108 and is Y2(yellow with two transverse stripes).
There are 3 connectors @ the back of fuse box, C108 is above FPR and Intermittent Wiper Relay.
As u look at C108 from wire side, key up, Y2 is the 3rd wire from left on the bottom row.

I didnt like the idea of a switch, cause the thief may find it..
I got a 10A DPDT Kill Relay (KR) and passed Y2 through a NO contact.
I used the other NO contact to self maintain the relay once is actuated. I inserted this one on Bl/Y2 wire on same C108, 1st from right, bottom row.
This Bl/Y wire goes from Fuse-1 to Charge Warning Light (CWL), so when the relay is off the light is OFF (reminds me to turn relay ON!). :cool:
KR is manually actuated, after the ignition key is on II..
Here some schematics, hope they come up right..

C108 >---Y2--------o/o--->FP

C108 >---Bl/Y2-----o/o-+-->CWL

+----[KR]--->Gnd
+----|>|--->Igniter (Bl/Y)

where:
-o/o- is NO contact
-|>|- is a diode
+ is connected wires

Good luck!

Acid X
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
AcidX,

"Been there done that"

The wire from fuse box coming from Fuel Pump Relay (FPR) is on connector C108 and is Y2(yellow with two transverse stripes).
There are 3 connectors @ the back of fuse box, C108 is above FPR and Intermittent Wiper Relay.
As u look at C108 from wire side, key up, Y2 is the 3rd wire from left on the bottom row.

I didnt like the idea of a switch, cause the thief may find it..
I got a 10A DPDT Kill Relay (KR) and passed Y2 through a NO contact.
I used the other NO contact to self maintain the relay once is actuated. I inserted this one on Bl/Y2 wire on same C108, 1st from right, bottom row.
This Bl/Y wire goes from Fuse-1 to Charge Warning Light (CWL), so when the relay is off the light is OFF (reminds me to turn relay ON!). :cool:
KR is manually actuated, after the ignition key is on II..
Here some schematics, hope they come up right..

C108 >---Y2--------o/o--->FP

C108 >---Bl/Y2-----o/o-+-->CWL

+----[KR]--->Gnd
+----|>|--->Igniter (Bl/Y)

where:
-o/o- is NO contact
-|>|- is a diode
+ is connected wires

Good luck!

Ah, i see. Well, i think i'd rather have a switch. Especially since i already bought all the stuff, haha.

Anywho, so Y2 is the wire i need to install my relay and switch on? Just to make sure before i go out there and start snippin'.

Also, i need a +12v wire that is only on when the key is in the ignition and is active.. You know, when the car is running and when its starting. Where could i find that? Oh, and in an earlier post, someone said i could find it under somethign labeled "II", but i havent been able to find it..

Oop, one more thing.. How am i supposed to get to the back of the fuse box? The opening behind it is too small to work with, and i can't find these pins you're talking about. :\

DanG86LX
07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
U have to remove fuse box plate (2 M10 nuts) and disconnect all connectors @ front and back. Then u get easy access to C108..

..i need a +12v wire that is only on when the key is in the ignition and is active..

Thats Bl/Y2 wire on C108 mentioned above..

Acid X
07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Well after some research i found out that the yellow wire coming from the ignition is the fuel pump wire. Atleast i'm assuming, because the wire coming from the fuel pump to the fuse box under the dash is yellow. Also, it only gets power when the ignition is in the II stage. Though i'd like more information on how to access those pins your talking about.. Because i dont know where the fuse box plate is, nor what connectors i need to remove.

Do you think its possible that you could get me some reference photos of what i need to take off to access the connectors and whatnot?

EDIT: I found two nuts on either side of the fuse box. Are these the ones you're talking about? Because when i un screw them the fuse box seems like it can come off. If this is what youre talking about, if i take them off and pull the fuse box off, then i should have access to the wires you're talking about, right? Or do i have to disconnect everything?

Acid X
07-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Dan? *bump*

DanG86LX
07-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes man, everything u did is correct.
If u consider using a wire from ignition key switch then Bl/Y is the one not Y one! But that would be so obvious to a thief since he may brake ignition switch and make different connections there..

Unfortunately u have to pull everything off to get access to C108..
I actually went to a junkyard and pulled off a fuse box together with C108 and some 6" wires attached to it. The wires come off from C108 by pushing a
little tab @ each contact (contacts view).

Alternatively, u may do it by replacing Fuse-1 with some sort of kill switch but again thats so obvious to a thief..

P.S. I cannot not post for the next 2 weeks.

Acid X
07-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Alright. Thanks!

Acid X
07-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but its better than making anew one.. Especially since its mine.

Does anyone know if it matters if you use the same gauge wire or not? The wire coming from the connector looks about 18 gauge, or smaller, and i bought 14 gauge wire.

I dont know if i should buy more wire .. Especially since all the connectors and wahtnot that i've bought are for 14-16 gauge wire!

Thanks in advance!

Acid X
08-02-2005, 07:03 PM
BUMP. Anyone know?

Acid X
08-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Hmm. I see. My relay's wire harness has larger gauge wires than the wire i need to cut has.. Does taht mean i can't use the wire harness either?

1987HondaAccord
08-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Corry, he meant smaller guage like 2 is smaller than 16, so the diameter is bigger.

Acid X
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
OH, okay! haha. I'm an idiot.. So it should be alright to use my 14g wire. :)

THANK YOU! :)

Coolbusracer
08-31-2008, 05:53 PM
OK, so i am also interested in putting in a kill switch in my car and have decided that the fuel pump is the way to go.....

I have read through the entire forum, and have gotten no closer to figuring it out.....
I am retarded at figuring these things out so if anyone can post pics of the step by step instructions, that would be absolutly a life saver.... I have very little knowledge in automotive wirings, so this already over my head....:help:

I already have the switch and wire, just need to figure out where to connect it to....:dunno:

:stupid: :stupid:

A18A
08-31-2008, 06:20 PM
if i where to install a kill switch on my car i would tap into them igniter wiring or main relay. but since you insist on using the fuel pump (which if anyone REALLY wanted your car, it will be easy to bypass) do this

fold down your back seat, on the drivers side under the rug is a little round metal plate, pry it off and see the fuel pump wires!tap into the yellow wire.

or you can tap into it at the main relay end but thats a pretty akward job if you're not famillia with that area

Coolbusracer
08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
I am not 100% set on the fuel pump i just figured it would be a pretty strong point to add a kill switch..... I definatly think i got :Owned2:
If i were to put the kill switch into the ignition system, how should it be done?????????

A18A
08-31-2008, 07:21 PM
oh do you have a fuel injected or carbed accord?

Coolbusracer
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
I have a carbed '86 DX hatch......:flash:

Coolbusracer
09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
ok so is this yellow wire the one that everyone is talking about for the ignition?????????? It's the third from the left....

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_25.jpg?161412-245