PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Manual Tranny

racerx
07-07-2005, 12:40 PM
As some of you might know, I'm gonna help halxi replace his 5-speed.
I've replaced the tranny on a CRX before, and it was super easy. All we did was remove the hubs, remove the axle/half shaft, remove bolts and shift linkage, and viola.

I'm not sure if it's gonna be that easy with the accord. I've done a few motor swaps before, but I always pulled the tranny with the engine.

So I just want to gather some advice and information from people who have done this before, so I can be totally prepared when halxi comes down for the swap.
Any special tricks?
Any unique hang ups/delays?
How much does the tranny weigh?
How long should this take with 2-3 people?

I have an engine lift, jacks/stands, impact wrench, pickle fork, etc, and all the basic hand tools. I'm thinking I'll just put the weight of the engine on the lift, and let the tranny down with one of my jacks. Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks for all the help.

SteveDX89
07-07-2005, 01:06 PM
It will be the same as any front drive Honda with a transverse engine. You're CRX experience will be the same as the Accord.

racerx
07-07-2005, 01:09 PM
sweet! it should only take about 2-3 hours then. that's how long it took us to replace the other tranny, including putting a new clutch in.

Robs89LXi
07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it's not bad at all. Just a couple things that might help:
1. Remeber where each bolt goes; they are different lengths.
2. Loosen fill/drain plugs before pulling; it's easier to do while tranny still attached.
3. Gonna do anything with clutch/flywheel while you have it off?
4. Good time to replace seals.

racerx
07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
yeah, he'll probably buy a new clutch and PP (kit) and we'll probably have his flywheel resurfaced while it's out.

what seals are you talking about?
all i know about for new parts would be the lower ball joint boots, and that's about it...

Robs89LXi
07-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, you might as well replace the rear main (crankshaft) seal if you pull the flywheel. You will have access to it then. You should also replace the two axle seals, where they insert into the transmission housing.

Oh, when pulling the flywheel, you will need a 17mm, 12 point socket. Be ready to cuss too, as they can be a real pain to pull! They are usually very tight, and they have a very shallow head. I ended up having to use a bolt easy-out to get a couple of mine. Be sure to use a little lock-tite when reinstalling them too.

Take a good look at your throw-out (release) bearing spring too:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43075

racerx
07-07-2005, 04:14 PM
oh yeah, when i pulled the flywheel off of a B20A, i just used my impact wrench (and that socket) and they all came off no problem.

i'll look into getting those seals you're talking about