PDA

View Full Version : Ignition box installation - Ignition activated 12V wire

Slavic
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Where is the "12V (wire) that is activated by the Ignition key" as pictured on the how to diagram? HOW TO INSTALL AFTERMARKET IGNITION BOX ( MSD ) (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=124&highlight=%22ignition+box%22+install)

thegreatdane
07-07-2005, 03:59 PM
well the black/yellow wire is the IG1 wire. IG1 is when your ignition is on.

Rendon LX-i
07-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Simple guy. All u got to do is cut off your two plugs on your stock coil. Connect the two big Y/B and small Y/B together to the One of the red wires they should be marked put it i used the big one and small one to the batter. Then u put the two blue wires together and connect it to the white wire and your tach wire connect it to the MSD itself which is a shit iforgot should be marked to. and thats it connect your blaster coil. simple. only is hard if u think bout it to much. hoped i helped

myaccord7
07-07-2005, 08:51 PM
im trying to instill my msd too. i cant get it to work! what is the tach wire you are talking about? ...... ive tried different things and cant get it to work. any help please>??

zach

Rendon LX-i
07-07-2005, 09:55 PM
As u see theres is a Small Black/yellow wire and a Big black/yellow wire Connect those to your Power wire the SMALL One then........2 Connet the two blue ones together Which is your stock tach so its is going to work reguardless unless your stock tach dont work. okay back to what i was sayin Once the blue wires together connect them to the WHITE wire on. okay once that done. Connect the The small black and orange wire to the blaster coil u got it okay thats done. Get a good ground and connect your black wire i put it were the stock coil was bolted to much cleaner and then Connect your BIG red power wire to your battery. Once that done connect the main spark plug wire that goes to your coil and leads to your disturbuter. And should start up. Mine started up right away actully better then before i was like damn...........Oh the the your Aftermarket Tach goes on the YELLOW wire. Hoped i helped

Slavic
07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Connect your BIG red power wire to your battery. OK, so "to car 12V that is activated by the Ignition key" = to the battery.

I knew it's the "BIG red power wire" I was just confused by the "to car 12V that is activated by the Ignition key". To the battery takes the mystery out of this for me.

Thank You!

M.M.

POS carb
07-08-2005, 05:35 PM
no no no
that's constant power.
"to car 12V that is activated by the Ignition key" means that you need to find somewhere that has no power when the key is off and has power when the key is in the "On" position.
You can find this with a simple test light, ground the test light wire to the chassis metal or the battery - post and start probing. One of those distributor wires has 12V igniton power (the one you need)

Slavic
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
no no no
that's constant power.
"to car 12V that is activated by the Ignition key" means that you need to find somewhere that has no power when the key is off and has power when the key is in the "On" position.OK, so back to my original question then. "Where is the "12V (wire) that is activated by the Ignition key" as pictured on the how to diagram?"

Everything else on that diagram was easy. I have lots of time to install this so I would appreciate someone who has done this before and knows telling me "Where is the "12V (wire) that is activated by the Ignition key" as pictured on the how to diagram?"

I think It would be good if we included the exact location of the wire in the how to.

PhydeauX
07-10-2005, 09:34 AM
OK, so back to my original question then. "Where is the "12V (wire) that is activated by the Ignition key" as pictured on the how to diagram?"

This is the wire on the + terminal on the stock coil. The other wire on the stock coil + is where the ignitor gets its 12v switched power from. The 2 wires from the + terminal and the "12V (wire) that is activated by the Ignition key" (which is the small red wire from the msd) should all be connected together as rendon already said.

In case you are confused on the rest:
The heavy red wire connects to the battery.
The heavy black wire connects to a good ground.
The orange wire goes to the coil +.
The small black wire goes to the coil -.
The white wire connects to the 2 wires that were originaly connected to the stock coil -. These wires are the tach and ignitor trigger signal.

andy

Versanick
07-10-2005, 09:43 AM
That's not how I have it hooked up... but I'll post if you still can't get it to work after that

myaccord7
07-10-2005, 10:39 AM
i cant get mine to work. ive hooked it up three different ways, anyone have any pictures of their wiring?

zach

Versanick
07-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I'll take pictures and write comprehensively where my wires go, tomorrow. I have the blaster 2 coil also. I don't have it wired ANYWHERE near where PhydeauX has it. I trust his expertise on such things though, so I'd follow his advice before I show you my setup.

I can send you pictures of the MSD diagrams as they apply to our car if you want. With my gold top b20a, I only have two wires coming from the distributor which, among other things, makes that part of it easier. With an a20 dizzy, it'd be a little more tricky, but we can figure out which wires are which. By color.

myaccord7
07-10-2005, 09:01 PM
thanks, in the "how to" its easy but its not working. i had someone test my 6al in their car so i know it works.

zach

Versanick
07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
In other words, the wires that originally went from your distributor to the coil (before installing this) are now connected to white (the original - wire) and thin red (the original + wire), as well as that thin red contacting a 12V source (in the fuse box, one that is on when the car is on)... and the THICK red and THICK black going to + and - of the battery, respectively?

And this doesn't work?

PhydeauX
07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Ok I finally took a look at the picture in the how to and found what the problem is, there is a mislable on the diagram.

The infamous "To car 12v that is activated by the ignition key" wire that is at the very top of the picture should be connected to the battery + terminal. The thin red wire is the switched power.

I'll draw up a new diagram and post it along with a more comprehensive how-to.

andy

PhydeauX
07-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Ok, I can't edit the howto so I will just place this here. I might bother to try to get it to end up in the how to section at some point but I also might forget so if someone else feels its needed go ahead and copy it there. I have just one request, don't link the Image from my site, please copy it and host it someplace else.

Anyway here is the new diagram.

Based on the diagrams from the msd manual available here: http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf
You'll need adobe acrobat for that which you can get here if needed:
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

http://home.comcast.net/~phydeaux37/msd_wires.jpg

And here's my quick howto on setting it up:

1. Read the instrustions. I claim no responsibility for the accuracy of this information. Make sure you know what you're doing, don't take my word for it.

2. Find a good spot to mount the msd box. Most people choose to mount it on the firewall but it really doesn't matter. You want to keep it away from heat (not near the exhaust) and little vibration (don't attach it to the motor). Other then that you can stick it where ever. Keep in concideration how you are going to run the wires when you mount it. Also if you have a rev limiter make sure you can easily change the pills. Just make note of where you want to mounts it, don't actually mount it yet.

3. Set the cylender select. Unscrerw the little phillips screw on the side of the box that holds the black cylender select cap on. Once its off cut both wires (to select 4cyl), make sure the wires don't touch each other and put the cap back on.

4. Now you can bolt it in place. If it came with the little rubber feet its a good idea to use them. Not all modles seem to have them though so they are not mandatory.

5. Next connect the large red wire to the battery + terminal. MSD never mentions anything about putting a fuse on this wire so it safe to assume none is needed.

6. Next connect the large black wire to either the negative battery terminal or a good ground. Use your discression, where the engine ground strap meets the frame is a good choice.

7. Now remove both black and yellow wires from the + terminal of the stock coil. Both of these wires are connect to the small red wire from the msd.

8. Then remove both blue wires from the - terminal of the stock coil and connect them both to the white wire from the msd.

9. Now all thats left is to hook up the coil to the msd. You can use the stock coil but an aftermarket one like the blaster 2 is recomended. The orange wire is coil + and the small black is coil -.

Thats all there is to it.

andy