PDA

View Full Version : Ball joints, something to worry about?

Mantis88LX
08-10-2002, 07:48 PM
ok since i have been hearing alot about the ball joints and shit, and what happen to oldschools accord, i have been paranoid. should i really be worryed that i will be driving along and one of my brake? are there any replacment parts that will not brake? is this really something i should worry about every time i drive?

YK86
08-11-2002, 12:29 AM
I would jack the car up and inspect all of them if you are that paranoid. I always check all my cars including balljoints when they are up on stands. The ones that are going bad always have some play.

ACCORD EX
08-11-2002, 01:40 AM
you shouldn't worry ! balljoints make a knocking sound on a bad road when driving !

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
08-12-2002, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't be paranoid. Just replace them by the pairs as you get money if they are bad. Thats all! Just because the boots are ripped doesn't mean the ball joint is gonna fall appart!!!

It just means that the grease will fall out and their will be metal to meltal contact on the joints wich is not a good idea for handling purposes and well..... safety reasons if left unatended for another ten years!!! ;)

OldSchoolSwap
08-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Remeber, i hit a big ass bump and our suspensions are not made for such harsh conditions. The balljoint gave up due to that hard & cold hit!
As long as you don't drive in off road conditions, you should be fine.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-12-2002, 08:44 PM
I check mine every time I change the oil, while it's jacked up anyways. I check them often because, with the exception of the 2 rear upper balljoints (first replaced @ 270k), all of them are still original including tierods (with 298k). Everything always checks out nice and tight though, so I don't worry too much while I'm cruising along. :)

POS carb
08-14-2002, 03:37 PM
don't fuq with ball joints, i had one pop out on me, not fun :321:

OldSchoolSwap
08-14-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
don't fuq with ball joints, i had one pop out on me, not fun :321: What happened? you forgot the cotter pin? :werd:

Twisted 87lxi
08-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Then why the hell did I get the almighty speech on how i'm going to rape my ball joints because I lowered my car the cheap way? Errr......

OldSchoolSwap
08-15-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Twisted 87lxi
Then why the hell did I get the almighty speech on how i'm going to rape my ball joints because I lowered my car the cheap way? Errr......
Well, a ride without any properly installed suspention such as cut springs can add some stress to ball joints due to hard bumps on the road and so on.
Since the spring is now cut and it is no longer designed to support the weight of the car, other suspesion components will have to take additional stress, one of them being the ball joints, specially the lower ones will take the initial hit!

Don't get me wrong, by cutting your springs your balljoints wont necesarily fly appart nor the boots will ripp either but it will take a more "direct" impact on the road.