PDA

View Full Version : exhaust mistake...help please

BASS_racer
07-08-2005, 09:09 PM
I know that the question of what size of exhuast piping to get has been brought up many times, but being a dumbass i accidentally ordered a 2.5 inlet muffler instead of a 2.25. Should i wait til it gets here and send it back to get my money back, or should i just go with a 2.5 exhaust now that i have the muffler or should just have the exhaust shop customize the muffler to go onto 2.25 piping? any advice would be helpful and i'm looking to make the most power possible, not really concerned with the sound...i'm still kicking myself over my mistake...i know better than that....

gfrg88
07-08-2005, 10:07 PM
i think the exhaust shop should be able to get that muffler on... shouldnt be to much of a deal, i think

A20A1
07-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I would keep it the same as your piping, but you cana easily get and exhaust shop to adapt 2.25 to 2.50.

I don't think it will hurt performance that much if you decide to keep it, if anything you may lose a small bit of low end but it's so far back in the exhaust system you probably wont nottice.

Versanick
07-09-2005, 08:55 AM
At any auto parts store, you should be able to find a 2.25" to 2.5" adaptor (make sure both are inner radius, that's not significant though), and buy two muffler clamps with it (a little U shaped piece of metal with some nuts), and put it on. (then mig weld or have them do it... or use muffler bandage around the clamps... or whatever you want)

If you're sticking with the 2.25" all the way, even with a 2.5" inlet muffler, performance will not be affected even a little bit. If your muffler was 2.25" inlet, and your whole exhaust was 2.5", then you'd have a problem. You'll be fine.

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 09:11 AM
I know that the question of what size of exhuast piping to get has been brought up many times, but being a dumbass i accidentally ordered a 2.5 inlet muffler instead of a 2.25. Should i wait til it gets here and send it back to get my money back, or should i just go with a 2.5 exhaust now that i have the muffler or should just have the exhaust shop customize the muffler to go onto 2.25 piping? any advice would be helpful and i'm looking to make the most power possible, not really concerned with the sound...i'm still kicking myself over my mistake...i know better than that....any exaust shop can fix that or will have the little adaptor if they don't i wonder about them, have it welded then you don't have to worry about it. i clamped up my entire system then took it off at work in one piece and had the guys in the weld shop mig everything together for me. once it was tacked i took the clamps off. then it wa welded solid. i did it that way so the welds would be good all the way around the pipe,not just 3/4 of the way. i made the system all the way from the flange at the manifold to the muffler and tip the local exaust shop found a stainless steel flex coupling it was expensive as hell but it should never leak again. cheery bombs sound really cool on these cars by the way, talking about the real ones not the imitation ones, they are supposed to have a patent on the sound or something. it has that monza sound now. it sounded good before i made the tip but that heavy aluminum tip really gives it that race car sound. if you picked up the tip and tapped it with something it will ring like a bell, i kept machining it until i got the tone i wanted.