PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

sketer
07-09-2005, 01:46 AM
ok i have a 89 accord LXi motor is a knockin and the tranny is a slipping

ok i dont have much money at all im barly slimin by right now as is i have a system in my car im gunna sell to buy a motor i wanna try the b20 swap or somthing i want more power then a small LXi motor i can find b20's here for like 200-300 bucks running but what about a tranny?????

sketer
07-09-2005, 09:18 AM
if i rebuild this stock motor can i get some real power out of it all motor or would i need turbo to get real power

i would like to turbo but as i said im broke till i get my muscle car back and sell it for $15,000
Note anyone wanna buy a fast fully restored 1970 nova
7's on 1/8

bobafett
07-09-2005, 09:29 AM
umm the b20 u can buy for 200-300 is from the prelude and will not bolt into the accord like the JDM b20 that you are probably thinking about...

also u wont make good power with the a20 untill u feed it real air.. (turbo n20 whatever)

and do u mean 7's in the 1/8th mile? thats not really that fast :) but i still love novas!

your most cost effective solution is to either buy a motorset and tranny from junkyard, and hope it runs, or if u have another vehicle to drive, rebuild the accord :)

smufguy
07-09-2005, 09:39 AM
you are not gonna be able to buy a B20A motor by selling just your system, what you got a $1000 system? anyway, just get hold of a local member in your state and see if they can hook u up with a motor. You should be able to pick these up for like $100 with the head and the block, sometimes even with the tranny, if not the tranny is like $75 bux or something like that. This is all from a local guy, not a junkyard. From a junkyard, you will prolly pay like $300 - $400 from a u-pull it for a motor+head with Tranny. From other junkyards where they pull it for you, expect to pay around $500 on average.

Get yourself a good A20 motor and dont worry about a B20, trust me, its not worth your hassle. There are quite a few B20 swaps on the board, but only very few running on boost. the parts for this motor is hard to get and is expensive.

sketer
07-09-2005, 11:23 AM
so the a20 can handel turbo to right?
and i hav a auto tranny how hard would it be to swap to a stick or should i just keep tranny way it is

i had a supra turbo that was good with auto but i dont know does it matter stick or auto ?

88accordhb
07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
ummm, i haven't seen an auto turbo 3g yet. but it it doesn't matter wat tranny you run for the turbo application. you can always try the tranny swap yourself, there's a very detailed how-to on that, or you can ask a shop to do it, shouldn't cost too much, and yes, the a20 should handle up to 8-10psi fine. but since you have motor-knocks and tranny problems, i suggest you get everything checked out first.

sketer
07-09-2005, 11:36 AM
the tranny slips after it gets warmed up 10mins after driving is there a filter or somthing inside that i can change i changed fluid and it helped for about 2-3 weeks then started acking up again

smufguy
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
well the stock torque convertor is not gonna be able to hold up the extra power, if ur planning to stick with an auto tranny. But as you know, no one shifts faster than an auto tranny shifting thru gears. So you can be the first guy to actually build a custom rock solid auto tranny mated to a turboed A20 and kick ass on the street, you dont have to worry about missing gears or burning ur clutch.

before all this, get a spare motor like i said.

PS: the fastest automatic AWD DSM runs in the 9s in the quarter. so yeah, auto trannies are not bad for performance application, just gotta find the right torque convertor with a higher stall to get it to work.