PDA

View Full Version : b20a q:

hondaman87
07-09-2005, 06:44 AM
is there a difference in HP ratio between the gold valve cover and the black one or the 87 to the 88 engines, because i know the the engine produce what about 160 hp, so please help

Versanick
07-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Nope. Idle controls are different (and, coordinating with that, slightly different vacuum lines in different places, dual butterfly-black vs single butterfly-gold), and you can very easily use a pk2 ECU with the black top (cam sensors in different places, different distributor and exhaust cam sensor units), and a f2k5 tranny on the black vs a b2k5 tranny on the gold (no notable difference there).

If you have an 88-89 accord it'd be a bit easier to go black top. with an 86-87 accord, it would be easy to go gold top, but anytime you can get a black top, the easy pk2 ECU use is nice (electronic advance ignition versus vacuum advance on the gold top).

I wish I had a black top, and I have a gold top. No hp difference though. Unless someone knows different. My gold top definitely does its business...

hondaman87
07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Nope. Idle controls are different (and, coordinating with that, slightly different vacuum lines in different places, dual butterfly-black vs single butterfly-gold), and you can very easily use a pk2 ECU with the black top (cam sensors in different places, different distributor and exhaust cam sensor units), and a f2k5 tranny on the black vs a b2k5 tranny on the gold (no notable difference there).

If you have an 88-89 accord it'd be a bit easier to go black top. with an 86-87 accord, it would be easy to go gold top, but anytime you can get a black top, the easy pk2 ECU use is nice (electronic advance ignition versus vacuum advance on the gold top).

I wish I had a black top, and I have a gold top. No hp difference though. Unless someone knows different. My gold top definitely does its business...

so I still can use the dual stage intake from the 88-89 sohc or as the a20a5 right

RobT5580
07-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Either motor is fine just use your Intake manifold and you eliminate all the headaches. If you want to run the prelude ecu then get the prelude distributor and cam sensor or the vacuum advance distributor from a first gen teg with the matching cam sensor. Its really not bad cause there are many options.

Versanick
07-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Either motor is fine just use your Intake manifold and you eliminate all the headaches. If you want to run the prelude ecu then get the prelude distributor and cam sensor or the vacuum advance distributor from a first gen teg with the matching cam sensor. Its really not bad cause there are many options.

:werd:
that's a much more clear explaination. listen to RobT

Civvy
07-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Using the electro dizzy and cam sensor from a B20a7 onto my B20a1 would be part of changing to OBD1 rite??
Is there any advantages of electro over vacuum?
I imagine its so the ECU is controlling both fuel & Spark? ...Is that an advantage, other than to reprogram the OBD1?

Versanick
07-13-2005, 05:34 AM
I don't know if a b20a7 distributor is obd1 compliant. It would have to be.

And there's a little bit of power hidden in this. There's nothing particularly wrong with vacuum advance, but electronic is better.

Not like 20hp better. Maybe like 5 or 8hp better... You could have your ignition timing set just fine, and as long as your vacuums are all put together correctly, you can make the same power. The electronic advancing has the advantage of already-engineered amounts of advance at different RPM. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

So, in a way, yes fuel and spark. And obd1 would be great for many other reasons. A lot of things that run by vacuum, for instance, are run electronically.