PDA

View Full Version : Car Clicks when i try to start it

whiteboy
08-10-2002, 10:26 PM
hey
i got an automatic 89 lx-i, i just bought it on ebay. The thing just clicks when i go to start it, i have a new battery and full light power n windows too. It wont even try to turn ova the engine, jstu clicks, sometimes doesnt even click. sometiems clicks then whirs. I just had the guy put in a new starter, what else coudl it be ? It was doing the same thing wit the old starter in it, any help is great, thanks

Jordan :banghead: :rant:

YK86
08-11-2002, 12:26 AM
If it's clicking/whirrling, then your relay is fine. I was going to say starter but I guess you took care of that. Are you sure the new one is good too?? Also, the autos have a switch which only allows the car to start in P or N. You could take the cover off the shifter console, and jump the plug with two black wires with a white stripe and then try to start it. Also make sure the cables coming from the battery are good. I'm sure there's more but I'm half asleep.

ACCORD EX
08-11-2002, 01:32 AM
make sure the ground wire is attached to the starter !

MIKE

shepherd79
08-11-2002, 03:07 AM
i am thinking it is your started.
if you get a new started change it yourself. it is only 2 bolts and wires.
this way you know for sure that you have a good starter

civilude92
08-11-2002, 12:58 PM
mine did that replace your neg. batt cables and check engine grounds.

ACCORD EX
08-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by civilude92
mine did that replace your neg. batt cables and check engine grounds.

nice thinking mine did that when i forgot to link the wire on the valve cover to the car's body ! make sure it's in good contact !

MIKE

whiteboy
08-13-2002, 11:58 AM
hey
thanks guys, well it runs now, mechanic said it was a combo of the new starter, and he hadda replace the battery cables, they were ripped/shedding, so idk now it works n i can go up to the CT meet ! cya later fellas

StressSolutions
12-19-2005, 06:31 AM
If it's clicking/whirrling, then your relay is fine. I was going to say starter but I guess you took care of that. Are you sure the new one is good too?? Also, the autos have a switch which only allows the car to start in P or N. You could take the cover off the shifter console, and jump the plug with two black wires with a white stripe and then try to start it. Also make sure the cables coming from the battery are good. I'm sure there's more but I'm half asleep.
AHA I knew if I started at the end and kept looking I'd find it!!

Reminder to us all, when doing a search, use alternate spellings and titles. OR when posting, put problem in title of post!
Actually, I'm not convinced it is my neutral safty switch, I'm thinking solenoid because I hear a click when I turn the key. mk

logic
12-19-2005, 11:32 AM
AHA I knew if I started at the end and kept looking I'd find it!!
Reminder to us all, when doing a search, use alternate spellings and titles. OR when posting, put problem in title of post!
Actually, I'm not convinced it is my neutral safty switch, I'm thinking solenoid because I hear a click when I turn the key. mk

Is the click as you turn to START or does it just click after ON. The main relay does three clicks when you turn to ON, two real quick and then one more two seconds later....Try turning to ON wait about 5 seconds then go to START and see if there's a click...

StressSolutions
12-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I have one click when I turn the key to start. No click when the trans is not in park or neut. It is an 88LX, carb/auto. Click is not the chattering click like a Ford, but I understand that Ford has an exceptional solenoid system.

The battery is new as of Halloween, I put on a new neg cable end. Pos cable is good--clean and tight. When it works, the starter spins the engine over very well, and starts. But sometimes, the starter runs, but quits before the engine starts. I guess if I could get it into my garage I'd replace the starter because I'm suspecting the solenoid. OR the connections on it are bad. :sad2:

Honda-Master
12-20-2005, 05:07 AM
nice thinking mine did that when i forgot to link the wire on the valve cover to the car's body ! make sure it's in good contact !
MIKE

leaving the valve cover to ground wire off is not going to keep the car from starting ... i have seen car drive with it off for months with no issues .......

StressSolutions
12-21-2005, 11:52 AM
OK, here's the dumb question of the day: where are the bolts (and what size are the heads) that hold the starter on? How much stuff do you take loose to get to it?
You guys that get it done in half an hour, I'm amazed.

Kabuki
12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Don't be. The bolts and the starter itself are just below the distributor, plugged in to the transmission. I believe that one bolt is a 14mm Head, and the other is a 17mm head (bellhousing bolt). The nut on the positive power connection should be a 12mm, though some are a 14mm.

StressSolutions
12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
OOOOOOOOK, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for "the starter mounting bolts are (my example: under and left of the motor part, and under and right of solenoid.) No problem getting the solenoid wires off, but finding the bolts holding the starter is starting to bug me...I pulled out one 14mm headed bolt, nice and yellow, shiny and pretty, directly below the motor part of the starter. Not sure yet if it is one of the starter mounting bolts. Kind of between the motor and solenoid is a phillips screw? Almost seems like there are a couple more under the assembly too. I hope for a divine intervention, but I'd settle for a BFO. Thanks...

Honda-Master
12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
the bolts that hold the starter are both 14 mm heads..

StressSolutions
12-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Yes they are both 14mm. One is below and left of the motor and one is above the solenoid, hidden by the bundle of wires, which is fastened to the very long bolt.