PDA

View Full Version : yanked my tranny

jaiden
07-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Pulled the MT from the 89 today. What a pain. I turned the input shaft by hand and it makes crunchy noises. Definitely toasted. The replacement tranny I ordered isn't here yet, so that sucks.

Clutch didn't have anything wrong with it other than being old. I pulled the flywheel to have machined, and I'll find a replacement clutch somewhere.

I know I'll need a new throwout bearing. is there anything else that's a must-do when the tranny is out? I know the tranny seals would be a good idea, but I'm worried I'll F them up, and I am not sure I can get the replacements in time (have to return the rental car tuesday.)

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Pulled the MT from the 89 today. What a pain. I turned the input shaft by hand and it makes crunchy noises. Definitely toasted. The replacement tranny I ordered isn't here yet, so that sucks.

Clutch didn't have anything wrong with it other than being old. I pulled the flywheel to have machined, and I'll find a replacement clutch somewhere.

I know I'll need a new throwout bearing. is there anything else that's a must-do when the tranny is out? I know the tranny seals would be a good idea, but I'm worried I'll F them up, and I am not sure I can get the replacements in time (have to return the rental car tuesday.)you might want to do your rear main if you have the flywheel off. i def smell toast if your transmission is cruncy. getting hungry, the throwout bearing should be in with the kit,should have a pressure plate,clutch disc,and bearing. do you need the tool to line up the clutch? i've got several here somewhere. oh replace the wire clip that holds the bearing,shouldn't be much, it's probably flexed uncountable times over the years. i had just put a clutch in one time and drove a mile down the road and that clip broke. thats a dealer item.

halxi
07-09-2005, 02:42 PM
How long did it take you to pull the tranny? And was it just you, or another helper?

Im going to be pulling mine the last week of july, and i was interested in how hard it would be.

Where did you order your tranny from and how much did it run you?
Whats the best place to order new seals/gaskets etc. from?

shepherd79
07-09-2005, 07:00 PM
it is a good idea to remove some glazing off the flywheel.
plus, i think you should replace the clutch assembly all together. this way you will have some insurance that the clutch won't give out on you in the next future and you have to drop it again.
it is a good idea to change or check the shifter bushings. this will assure that shifter will glide smooth into gears.

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 07:34 PM
it is a good idea to remove some glazing off the flywheel.
plus, i think you should replace the clutch assembly all together. this way you will have some insurance that the clutch won't give out on you in the next future and you have to drop it again.
it is a good idea to change or check the shifter bushings. this will assure that shifter will glide smooth into gears.he already said earlier in the thread that he was having the flywheel machined

jaiden
07-09-2005, 07:36 PM
It took me about 5 hours to get it out. I think if I had done it before it would have been quicker (maybe 2-3h). I don't know how long it will take to put back in (tranny hasn't come yet). Mostly, it was finding all the bolts. I had a helper, which I think is pretty important at least for the actual removal. I did almost all the work myself though, but my friend helped by handing me tools and looking stuff up.

If you can remove both axles easily, the rest isn't that hard. I had to fight with one side, so that took some extra time. one wouldn't come completely off, because the bitch bolt is stuck in the bottom of the control arm. that doesn't matter though because I was able to slide enough of it through to get it out of the way.

You have to remove a couple bolts from the starter assembly and take it and the thing next to it (some kind of coil?) off at the same time. Then there are 3 bolts at the bottom rear of the engine (one is just above the driver's axle), and 2 more at the front that are easy to get to. Then come the hard ones. There are a total of 10. 5 facing each way. The starter ones, and the other ones up top are hard to find, hard to see, and even harder to get loose. You don't have to remove the rubber mount from the very bottom of the tranny.

Also, I had to remove the gear driven power steering thingy which surrounds where the speedo cable goes in. It comes off pretty easily with one 10mm bolt and some pulling/prying/wiggling. This wasn't in the book.

Then you've got a few wires which aren't hard to find (starter wires being the hardest).

The tranny slides out pretty easy. It's lighter than I expected, but still pretty heavy. We tried to have a jack under it, but it just got in the way, so I wrestled it out by hand. I'm pretty short, so I could lie on my back, and tuck my legs in under it so that it would rest on my shins and not smack me in the face. It's maybe 60 lb with no fluid. easy enough to lift, but too heavy to hold for long or drop on your face or your hand (see the Smurf from Carpocalypse if you have it on cable)

Don't forget to jack up the engine (or hoist it) before removing the tranny. big warnings in the books about this.

I found it easier to take off the heat riser pipe and the air intake pipe (carb car) to get to things. Also had to take down the crossmember that has the tow hook on it, but did NOt have to do anything to the exhaust.

There's a good chance I fractured my pinky finger though. It hurts quite a bit now. damn that A key.

I plan to have the flywheel machined and get a new pressure plate and clutch disk. I will have to hope someone nearby has the spring thingy.

you'll need 12 point sockets for the clutch plate (10mm?) and the flyhweel (17mm), and air tools or at least some other way to split ball joints. I used an air gun on the flywheel against the recommendations of the books.

keep good notes on which bolt goes where. they're almost all different.

I had trouble with the clutch cable. finally loosened it way way up with the adjustment wheel, then was able to pull the grommet from the end so that the cable slips through the gap in the metal ring. This also wasn't documented in the book.

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 07:44 PM
if your new transmission comes with the spedometer speed sensor/drive gear in it do not pull it out!! that can cause the gear to fall off and into the transmission. there is a clip at the top of it where the spedo cable goes in, you pull out that clip and the cable comes right out. i wish you were closer to here i would have helped you out. i used to burn out a clutch in my old civic everytime i would race it hehe put about 20 clutches in that thing. why did you have to raise the engine? i never had to do that.

jaiden
07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
not raise the engine, but support it with a jack. The books warn about letting the engine hang down with the tranny off... probably bad for the mounts or something.

my speedo cable goes goes into a round metal disk which has power steering lines running into it. I had removed the cable itself from it, no problem, but it was either take the power steering lines off (and have it drain everywhere) or pull the gear from the tranny

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 07:51 PM
make sure your kit comes with the line up tool so you can put your pressure plate in that will line it up before you tighten up the pressure plate.

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 07:54 PM
not raise the engine, but support it with a jack. The books warn about letting the engine hang down with the tranny off... probably bad for the mounts or something.

my speedo cable goes goes into a round metal disk which has power steering lines running into it. I had removed the cable itself from it, no problem, but it was either take the power steering lines off (and have it drain everywhere) or pull the gear from the tranny
they won't drain much, i use a couple of small vise grips that cable is a bitch to get back in the spedo drive though, it's tricky to line it up just right.

lostforawhile
07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
you mean don't let the transmission weight hang on the mainshaft of the transmission. if all three of your motor mounts are still in the car the motor doesn't know the difference, it's just a lot lighter. the bottom mount is just to hold the transmission weight. when you are pulling out the transmission and you pull it off of the dowel pins you have to keep it supported or all that weight will be on the mainshaft. you pulled out the dog bone right? the main engine weight is supported by the front mount the rear mount and the mount that attaches to the left side of the engine.

jaiden
07-10-2005, 06:27 AM
dog bone?

lostforawhile
07-10-2005, 07:09 AM
the thing that attaches the top of the transnission to the firewall round on both ends with a rod in the middle

halxi
07-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Id imagine he means, dont let the tranny hang off the motor after the mounts/cross member are removed. This is kind of common sense anyway lol

Thanks for the explination, doesnt sound like its going to be TOO much of a problem, but only time will tell.

Im hoping to have the new tranny with me, so its just, pull the old one out, put the new one in, then replace bushings and stuff.

i know, i know... easier said then done lol