PDA

View Full Version : ball joint (upper arm) problems

jaiden
07-09-2005, 06:04 PM
I did the upper ball joint a month ago, and had some trouble putting it back together. Thought it would be OK but it looks like it isn't.

The part of the A shaped arm that the long bolt goes through is missing a bushing or something. I guess I couldn't get all the parts out of the old one or something.

I don't think I had this problem on the other side. Maybe the part was different from a different place? I don't remember where I got it ( I go to a lot of auto parts stores)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-09-2005, 06:55 PM
How does the problem manifest itself? Looseness? Sound? I had to redo my left upper arm because I didn't put enough grease on the bushings and it started binding. A little more info would definitely help.

shepherd79
07-09-2005, 06:55 PM
all the parts for upper arm should be interchangeble between them.

jaiden
07-09-2005, 07:39 PM
it's very loose. I think I'm missing something that goes in the tube that the long bolt runs through. fortunately it takes like 20 mins to do a ball joint on this car.

Moodybluesr
07-10-2005, 02:05 AM
Why did you take that end of the arm apart? A new ball joint/arm assembly usually comes assembled and you detatch the frame end of the arm by the two nuts under the hood on/by the shock tower. You shouldn't have to mess with the pivot bolt at all.

jaiden
07-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Yeah, but this one that I bought didn't have that end of the assembly. it was just an empty tube on that side. I guess I'll have to buy another one and make sure it has those parts.
sucks.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-10-2005, 07:10 AM
What you need to get are the bushings that go into that tube. There is a bushing on each end. There is also a sleeve that fits through the bushings, this looks like a narrow pipe. Also, remember that the dust seals have to go on BEFORE you insert the bushings. I personally like the Moog bushing kit because it includes both the bushings and the dust seals. I got mine online from www.rockauto.com Also, download the shop manual from http://www.pauldesign.ru/ and find a diagram of the upper arm assembly. Hope this helps. Here's a diagram:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_j08.gif