PDA

View Full Version : Random knowlege I want to leave for posterity (Shift knob/tails)

sporkHSP
07-10-2005, 06:33 PM
As far as tail lights go... I was looking for a way to incorperate the reverse lights into the outer taillight section, and came up with a few solutions
(for sedan, and maybe coupe tails)

93-96 Corolla altezzas: the dimensioning is very similar to the accord lights, would not be hard to mock up a set of hybrids from these, assuming you have the proper tools and general know-how to take on a project like this.

Late 80's Acura Legend Sedan tails. Alittle taller, but I think you could mod the lenses into our housings and allow for the reverse lights to work.

Finally, the project I was working on when my accord was wrecked, hybrid s2000 tails. Yes, you heard me, the 2 circular light pods from an s2000 can fit into the housing of the accord lights. will take a piece of Acrylic to cover the units (to be the outer lense), but I think they can be completed. I may finish mine yet.

Assume you will need to modify the body of the car in the back to allow for the lights to extend back into the trunk some more. This is by no means a garuntee that these will work, only ideas I have had. Do any of these at your own risk! I can assist with more in depth ideas if you need.

Finally, my custom shift knob:
I wanted a "Pistol-shifter" but I wanted it to formfit my hand, so I came up with this:
I used a second gen accord shift knob, and cut the vinyl off of it to reveal the plastic 'skeleton'. after doing this, I sanded it to make sure it would accept the new covering.
For the outside, I used Epoxy Putty (had a 10" stick lying around here, but you can probably buy at a Hardware store). Mash the putty until it mixes, I used half the stick.
Apply to the knob skeleton, making sure to get it into the holes on the top, and once its spread and before it hardens, grip it firmly like you would your shifter. Your hand print should be pressed into the putty.

In an hour, the putty should be ready for sanding, I sanded mine with very fine sanding pads. Painted it with Duplicolor Bumper paint, and clear coated it with High-temp wheel coating.
Pic in my CRX:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2036000-2036999/2036766_29_full.jpg

Just wanted to have this stuff on record and on the site, I dont need it all in my head anymore.

mr eff
07-10-2005, 06:54 PM
painted the shift knob in the car? that seems difficult... not to mention uncomfortable!

sporkHSP
07-10-2005, 06:58 PM
oh no, all of that was done outside the car. I would never try that, especially if it can be removed. I stuck it on a stick in the backyard and sprayed it.