PDA

View Full Version : flywheel step>?

jaiden
07-11-2005, 05:53 AM
I need to get my flywheel machined today. What step do I ask for? is it clutch brand specific?

Oldblueaccord
07-11-2005, 05:56 AM
I need to get my flywheel machined today. What step do I ask for? is it clutch brand specific?

Not sure what your asking but you want them to take off as little as possible and true it up. To much will effect your clutch operation. Trust me I know about that.

wp

phrenology
07-11-2005, 06:27 AM

Why are you machining it? If you want a lightened flywheel, check out my site: Flywheels and More (http://www.appentec.com)

You don't want to mess around too much with an old flywheel. All of the ones I sell start with brand new OEM ones that are fatory spec. All the machine work is professionally done by a dedicated flywheel shop, and there are no core charges. Plus you will not lose any surface area tension like you would if you resurface an old flywheel. We can drop ship one to your door within a week. Just look it over and let me know if you want one. PM me for more info or questions.

Oldblueaccord
07-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Why are you machining it? If you want a lightened flywheel, check out my site: Flywheels and More (http://www.appentec.com)

You don't want to mess around too much with an old flywheel. All of the ones I sell start with brand new OEM ones that are fatory spec. All the machine work is professionally done by a dedicated flywheel shop, and there are no core charges. Plus you will not lose any surface area tension like you would if you resurface an old flywheel. We can drop ship one to your door within a week. Just look it over and let me know if you want one. PM me for more info or questions.

Hes doing a clutch job there salesman of the month.

Maybe you could tell him the max that can be machined off to be helpfull.

wp

jaiden
07-11-2005, 06:56 AM
OK, first I need a flywheel in 6 hours, not a week.

Second, I'm having it machined because I'm not putting a new disc on an old flywheel.

with regard to the step, here's what I mean. On my other car, when I got a Centerforce DF clutch, they were very specific that the clutch had to have a .628 (I think) "step". I have no idea where this is measured, but when I told the machine shop guy, he said "no problem".. Now I have looked but can't find what the stock or recommended step is for the 89 accord, so I'm hoping someone knows. The machine shop guy said "I'll take off the same amount from one side as I do the other" which I don't really understand, but I'm not a machine shop guy.

so does anyone know this number or should I let the guy do what he wants with it?

AZmike
07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
How does the friction surface look now? Are you resurfacing as a precaution or because you can see something wrong with it?

jaiden
07-11-2005, 11:52 AM
it looks nice and smooth. but the issue is that a new clutch plate and disc doesn't fit the same on a worn flywheel. When they machine it, I think they cut down the rim a little to make the distance from the rim to the friction surface back to the way it was before the friction surface wore.

anyway, the guy says the flywheel is ready, so we will see how it goes tonight!

phrenology
07-11-2005, 01:49 PM
it looks nice and smooth. but the issue is that a new clutch plate and disc doesn't fit the same on a worn flywheel. When they machine it, I think they cut down the rim a little to make the distance from the rim to the friction surface back to the way it was before the friction surface wore.

anyway, the guy says the flywheel is ready, so we will see how it goes tonight!

Sorry I couldn't help out. I hope your new clutch works out well for you.

88Accord-DX
07-12-2005, 01:45 AM
On my other car, when I got a Centerforce DF clutch, they were very specific that the clutch had to have a .628 (I think) "step".
I think that is the maximum they can take off the flywheel when it is uneven w/ gooves & cracks.