PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Tranny Swap

halxi
07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Well since my tranny is pretty much toast, im looking into replacing it with a lude tranny (to my understanding, the gear ratios are higher, thus meaning faster acceleration, correct?) to replace it.

Before i buy/commit to anything, id like to double check some things and do more research to it.

The 198x Prelude SI was the 'lude that had the A20A3 right?
(whats the EXACT year, that will have the a20a3, with the same tranny?)

Im assuming the tranny would be a direct bolt in to my current mounts, and the motor. However its kind of hard to check this when i dont have a prelude around to look at.

Will my accord Axles fit directly into the tranny? or will they be too long/short because the prelude has a slightly different wheelbase? It wouldnt make sense to make the tranny different between the 2 cars, but instead the axles. But like i said, i just want to double check some things.

Will it matter which clutch kit i order (accord or prelude)?

Some of these questions are kind of stupid, i know, but its stuff thats kind of common sense that id like to double check on. Because if i buy a tranny, then it doesnt fit and i have problems. Thats money wasted.

SteveDX89
07-12-2005, 02:32 AM
The tranny is a direct swap. Drop in the tranny, use the Accord axles, mounts, etc. You want an A2K5 tranny from a Prelude Si.

halxi
07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
more stupid questions :uh:

what year?

im having a hard time finding a prelude with the a20, i found a picture of an engine bay of an 85, but the motor appeared to be in there backwards (radiator was by the firewall) so it threw me off and i wasnt sure if thats what i was looking for or not.

Justin86
07-13-2005, 04:12 PM
85-87 lude Si is the one you want, and it should have the A20 in it.

halxi
07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
sweet, thanks.

shepherd79
07-14-2005, 04:58 AM
you can also use tranny from carbed prelude. the belhousing on it will be smaller so you will have to go with carbed prelude flywheel and clutch assembly. it will bolt up with no problem.

Justin86
07-14-2005, 01:47 PM
well you have to change the diff on the lude carb tranny also, the axles on the accord are bigger.

halxi
07-15-2005, 02:14 PM
But i wont have any problems if i get one out of a FI Prelude correct?

Im probably just going to go with the FI Prelude tranny, and if i cant find one then ill just swap in another accord tranny.

Justin86
07-17-2005, 08:04 AM
yea the EFI tranny is a direct swap. Your next best tranny swap is the teg hybrid.