PDA

View Full Version : Junk yard find (56K warning)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Hello all!

After finding an SEi at my local wrecker, I am now the proud owner of an SEi steering wheel, rear brakes, armrest, and rear speaker pods. :D Unfortunately the center console was destroyed and the interior was trashed.
http://zakm.front.ru/SEi%20Parts/070805-Armrest.JPG
http://zakm.front.ru/SEi%20Parts/070805-Armrest2.JPG
http://zakm.front.ru/SEi%20Parts/071005-SEi%20Steering%20Wheel.JPG
http://zakm.front.ru/SEi%20Parts/071205-SEi%20Brakes-1.JPG

All it took is five hours in the 90 degree heat and high humidity to get those rear brakes out. Next time I'm bringing cutting tools for those damn seized suspension bolts.

88accordalltheway
07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
nice find man! sounds like a long and sucessful day. Good job..

Cheeseburger
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
looks like u got some luck boy, when di u plan on putting on the rear disck breaks?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-12-2005, 11:07 AM
For now I am not sure when I'll put them on. At this point I'm mainly concerned with reupholstering and painting the armrest to match my interior and getting the stereo controls as well as speaker pods working. The brakes look like a slow restoration project. Anyone got any tips on getting the lower strut mount bolts out? One of mine is seized in the bushing sleeve and so far none of my attempts to get it out have worked (Which is why I had to pull the struts with the knuckle)

Reptile
07-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Congrates on the great find!

TheWatcher
07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Ha ha, you have the brown interior too (looks brown to me, not maroon). Where did you get floor mats? No one sells BROWN floor mats.

Congratulations, finding a SE-i in the jy is the equivalent of photographing Big Foot. :)

TIA.

Peace.

Forgar_88
07-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Damn thats an SEI steering wheel?! My hatch has that one and for some reason the badge is an LX, with fuel injection. hmm wtf?

Busted_Blue
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Damn thats an SEI steering wheel?! My hatch has that one and for some reason the badge is an LX, with fuel injection. hmm wtf?

if you look closely, it has radio controls on the left side of the wheel.

As for rear disc brakes, I suggest you get new lines. I dont like those rubber lines at all. Technafit makes great stainless steel lines. Rotors and pads looks like it needs replacing as well. Check the caliper and if you need to rebuild it, do so or you might regret it later on.

That lower bolt...use some pentrating lubricants like uhm. pb blaster or...deep creep. WD40 usually doesn't do the trick if it is seized on like that.

88LXi68
07-12-2005, 05:51 PM
cut the strut forks then have so that you can take the knuckle to a machine shop and have new bushings pressed in. Use the bolts from you car now if they come off.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-12-2005, 08:42 PM
TheWatcher,

My interior is what Honda calls Palmy Brown I believe. The floor mats aren't original(although I have the original ones in the trunk) and match the color very well. I think the mats I got are from Walmart, but its been a while since I got them.

Busted Blue,

Those brake lines are definitely getting replaced. I'm not sure if I want to get steel braided lines or regular replacements though. The calipers are also going to be rebuilt regardless since I have no idea what condition the seals inside are in. As for the lower bolt, I've soaked it in PB Blaster, put my impact wrench to it, my air hammer, cussed at it, but to no avail. My last resort appears to be cutting the bolt. What is the best method to cut it? I suppose it a hardened steel bolt, so regular means might not be practical (read hacksaw :)) Would a die grinder do the trick? And I'd like to keep the struts intact since they seem to be in pretty good condition.

Also, what kind of braking behavior can I expect if I don't upgrade my front brakes to 88-89 EFi size? I just redid the front brakes and would hate for it to be a waste.

carotman
07-12-2005, 08:44 PM
yup, those bushings can seize to the point it's litteraly welded on...

Just get new ones pressed in.

Robs89LXi
07-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Nice finds. Did you happen to snag the proportioning valve as well? I've heard some say the LXi one works as well, but no-one seems to know for sure.
What are you planning to do with the steering wheel controls? Did you get the ring-hub and the blue/red stereo control wire as well?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-13-2005, 07:28 AM
I didn't manage to get the proportioning valve yet because the hood on the SEi is pretty mangled and cannot be opened easily. I'll try and get it next time I head out to the yard. As for the steering controls, I got the ring hub but not the wire from the harness that leads to the stereo. To use the hub, I had to swap the connector on the end of the wire and leave the stereo signal wire loose. Once I finish with the armrest, I'll tackle the stereo controls. Hopefully I can control my deck remotely by using Honda's single-wire resistance technique.

Robs89LXi
07-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Yep, I'll be toying with the stereo controls myself. Luis has some good posts about what he did with his using a Sony head unit. Search his posts.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Nice find... and yea im having trouble getting that bolt out on the front of my old se-i... im using a cut off wheel right now, its taking a while cuz the tank on the compressor is midget sized, but its doing the trick

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I read through Louis's posts and since I have already repaired my head unit before, I know pretty well what goes on in it. Hooking up the controls shouldn't be that big of an issue, but I need a good multimeter to measure the resistance and pinpoint the control functions. As for the bolt, it looks like I'll be tackling it with a cut-off wheel as well.

Robs89LXi
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Hmm.. be sure to post what you come up with for the resistances for each function, and on what unit you will be using.