PDA

View Full Version : what cars came with black dashboards?

POS carb
07-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Did any 3geez come with a black or really dark grey vinyl on the dash and armrests/upper door trim? Mine was grey on grey from factory but it has almost a greenish tint to it from all the sun exposure and it's pure grey in the hidden areas
I've never seen a black one at the junkyard, thy're always blue, burgundy, or brown :ugh:

if not is there a product good enough to spray the dash with that will stay flexible?

frantik
07-12-2005, 05:14 PM
in a thread below i just saw someone say
find a red coupe or hatch that came with the all black interior and swap it out.

Helix
07-12-2005, 05:24 PM
The padded vinyl stuff that honda uses is actually pretty easy to dye. You need to get this stuff that opens the vinyl's pores, so to speak, then spray it with something that looks almost like spray paint, but it's actually vinyl dye.

3G Jester
07-12-2005, 06:15 PM
oooo my favorite!!!

88 DX HATCHBACK's with the paint code R51 pheonix red
and 89 DX Coupes [VERY VERY rare] with same paint code.

only those two years...and only DX in those models with that paint.
some hb's from late 88 were sold as 89 with same paint code.other than that those are the only two years/models that accord had black as the interior/dash/seats as black in the accord. its a beautiful black i say. i had an 88 red dx hatch. beaituful. mark [the mod] has exerience recovering dash peices. talk to him about it. he made a peice to fit in the flat part of the dash to make it flush.

w00tw00t111
07-12-2005, 06:19 PM
If you're experienced with fg why not just rip off the vinyl add a layer of resin and paint it black? Much cheaper and just as easy IMO.
Edit: I love your sig btw 3g Jester!

Helix
07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Seriously, just dye the vinyl. It's not hard at all, and it's very durable. Looks great. I had to do that with a friend's old musclecar, we dyed his entire interior black.

w00tw00t111
07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Seriously, just dye the vinyl. It's not hard at all, and it's very durable. Looks great. I had to do that with a friend's old musclecar, we dyed his entire interior black.
Do you remember what brand you used? Is it still looking good or is it all cracked? The reason I ask is I saw a civic at O'reillys the other day that had it's interior painted white and it was cracking and flaking off. It looked absolutely disgusting :(

3G Jester
07-12-2005, 06:56 PM
that you w00t...and you might want to try your options of dyeing or recovering. finding the red 3geez is rare. and if they are running.....few will part with them.

Helix
07-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Do you remember what brand you used? Is it still looking good or is it all cracked? The reason I ask is I saw a civic at O'reillys the other day that had it's interior painted white and it was cracking and flaking off. It looked absolutely disgusting :(

I agree, which is why I didn't say PAINT the dash. Dying vinyl is a whole different process. You first use a chemical that basically cleans the vinyl and opens up all the little micropores. Then you spray it with vinyl dye, which is TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM PAINT. It gets absorbed into the vinyl itself, it isn't just a coat of paint. I hate spray painted interiors, nothing looks more tacky than that in my opinion, but dying vinyl, especially quasi squishy vinyl like honda interiors, can come out quite nicely. Not sure about the brand, I don't think it's important if you're going to turn it black, but it has to be DYE, not paint.

w00tw00t111
07-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I agree, which is why I didn't say PAINT the dash. Dying vinyl is a whole different process. You first use a chemical that basically cleans the vinyl and opens up all the little micropores. Then you spray it with vinyl dye, which is TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM PAINT. It gets absorbed into the vinyl itself, it isn't just a coat of paint. I hate spray painted interiors, nothing looks more tacky than that in my opinion, but dying vinyl, especially quasi squishy vinyl like honda interiors, can come out quite nicely. Not sure about the brand, I don't think it's important if you're going to turn it black, but it has to be DYE, not paint.
Oh sorry. Didn't mean to get flamed :crying:

carotman
07-12-2005, 08:38 PM
We had black coupes in Canada that had a black interior. I know that the EDM and JDM Accords could come with a black interior as well.

I would love to have a black interior... oh well.

The brown and green SE-I's had a black dash (only the top part)

w00tw00t111
07-12-2005, 09:19 PM
EDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The future of the import scene!!!!
Woo Hoo!

mr eff
07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
there's flexible vinyl spray that you could use. it's not too bad... but it won't take on plastic. i can take a key to the finished panel (and i do this to everyone who says "oMFG wtFFFF u pain ur interior!?" -- only in real life) without scratching it. i've had it on for about 7 months now, no fading/cracking/peeling.

pics are at my site if you're curious. click my sig

88accordalltheway
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
some grey coupes came with black dashes. Ive pulled an arm rest out of one before, unfortunatly i didnt have time to pull the dash...
Ive also used the vinyl paint for the msc door parts, and its not too bad. i have had parts of my armrest on the drivers side crack, and this stuff dosnt like to stay on if you have to touch it up.

Helix
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Oh sorry. Didn't mean to get flamed :crying:

Didn't think I was flaming. Sorry. :dunno:

88accordhb
07-12-2005, 11:06 PM
you want my inter? you can have it. lol

3G Jester
07-13-2005, 01:17 PM
ahhh!! thank you carotman.....i forgot about our brothers to the north. they also got the type R 5th gen accord.....

snoopyloopy
07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
my black '89 lx-i sedan has a tan/black interior scheme. the top part of my dash is black. and the top part of the door trim.

POS carb
07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
yeah that's what I want, the upper vinyl portion. Hmm now i gotta find a black 4 door
I'd rather use stock vinyl than dye but I'm all for crazy projects!

PikesPeak3G
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
My 89 coupe's interior is all tan exept for the dash. To me it looks silly. I'd like an all tan interior but the only pieces in the junkyard are always burgandy or blue.

3G Jester
07-13-2005, 07:13 PM
they didnt make a black 4 door. not in america. and your from miami so your chances of getting a canadian 3g are slim to none my friend.

thegreatdane
07-14-2005, 07:02 AM
My 4 door 2.0i-16 has a black interior with seats in the same shape as the coupe and hatchbacks in the US.

PikesPeak3G
07-14-2005, 11:33 AM
they didnt make a black 4 door. not in america. and your from miami so your chances of getting a canadian 3g are slim to none my friend.
Its funny cuz I read this thread just before taking off to the junk yard, so it was pretty fresh in my head. When I got there they had just dropped an 88 dx coupe. It had a block off plate where the passenger rear view mirror is, an arm rest (which was smashed), and not a cup tray, nor the tape holder. It had some weird thing to like hold coins,and top part also had a plate blocking it off. hard to describe. Theres also a black 4 door with the interior like SnoopyLoopy describe. Is that also a rare one?

halxi
07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
black exterior or black interior 3gjester?

If youre talking about exterior, i must say you should look around lol. But im going to assume youre talking about interior, since thats what this thread is about.

Unfortunatly, my interior is burgandy :barf:

PikesPeak3G
07-14-2005, 11:49 AM
black exterior or black interior 3gjester?

If youre talking about exterior, i must say you should look around lol. But im going to assume youre talking about interior, since thats what this thread is about.

Unfortunatly, my interior is burgandy :barf:
That dx coupe has all the interior parts you wanted, Halix. no sun damage.

halxi
07-14-2005, 12:01 PM
hide them for me! :lol:

i still want the upper part of the back seat, the rear interior quarter panels (since mine are rotting out) and i need a drivers side floormat if it has one.

2drSE-i
07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
i always considered my SE-i's interior as black......the seats are grey and so is the armrest, but the rest i would consider black, except the door panels......i have a greyish (its very light, almost tan) headliner and upper door trim

forrest89sei
07-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Did any 3geez come with a black or really dark grey vinyl on the dash and armrests/upper door trim? Mine was grey on grey from factory but it has almost a greenish tint to it from all the sun exposure and it's pure grey in the hidden areas
I've never seen a black one at the junkyard, thy're always blue, burgundy, or brown :ugh:

if not is there a product good enough to spray the dash with that will stay flexible?

I saw one on tuesday.

It was a 1988 LX-i Coupe green outside, tan & black dash and inside.

saw it @ the Pick-N-Pull in Modesto, California

3G Jester
07-14-2005, 05:39 PM
you should get condtion info and price maybe he wants it.

POS carb
07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I have a sedan tho I've already tried adapting coupe interiors to it it doesn't work in the back.

forrest89sei
07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a sedan tho I've already tried adapting coupe interiors to it it doesn't work in the back.

I also saw a 4 door with the tan & black.

Dash was tan & black, door panels, etc.
seating was tan.

was a 1989 LX-i 4 Door.

also at the modesto P-n-P.