PDA

View Full Version : Help with Crank Pully and Timing Gear.

HostileJava
07-13-2005, 05:47 AM
As some of you know my auto to manual conversion didn't go so well and various other things happened that have been dragging out the process of getting my car back on the road. I'm at the point now where the new crank is in the engine and everthing is ready to go, accept for the crank pully and timing gear. My first obstacle was braking the bolt off the old crank after we had pulled it out to remove the gear and pulley. After that I discovered that some cranks used a 12mm bolts and some used 14mm. It was a pain trying to find a 12mm since mine didn't fit and I eventuallly obtaind one from my local honda dealership. Here's my new problem. I've tried two different timing gears and pully's and none of them fit over the crank shaft. I've tried freezing the outside of the shaft to shrink it, freeze just the outside of the gear hoping it would contract out, and hammering the thing on. Keep in mind that both these gears and pully's came from the shafts that use 14mm bolts and not 12mm however honda does list them all as being the same part # for both shafts. I'm in the process of trying to get a pully and gear from a car that uses the 12mm, but I'm not sure if that's going to help. Has anyone run into this before or can you offer any advice on getting it on?

Oldblueaccord
07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
As some of you know my auto to manual conversion didn't go so well and various other things happened that have been dragging out the process of getting my car back on the road. I'm at the point now where the new crank is in the engine and everthing is ready to go, accept for the crank pully and timing gear. My first obstacle was braking the bolt off the old crank after we had pulled it out to remove the gear and pulley. After that I discovered that some cranks used a 12mm bolts and some used 14mm. It was a pain trying to find a 12mm since mine didn't fit and I eventuallly obtaind one from my local honda dealership. Here's my new problem. I've tried two different timing gears and pully's and none of them fit over the crank shaft. I've tried freezing the outside of the shaft to shrink it, freeze just the outside of the gear hoping it would contract out, and hammering the thing on. Keep in mind that both these gears and pully's came from the shafts that use 14mm bolts and not 12mm however honda does list them all as being the same part # for both shafts. I'm in the process of trying to get a pully and gear from a car that uses the 12mm, but I'm not sure if that's going to help. Has anyone run into this before or can you offer any advice on getting it on?

Well the bolt deal yeah thats a PIA I think there is a breakover year on our cars around 87 Im guessing. The older style is harder to find for somereason.

You really want to heat/warm the crank damper since steal swells when hot and cool freeze the shaft not both. Really you may have to have it machined to fit I think be best. Mic the shaft then mic the dampner. if its smaller than say .015 I dont think your gonna get it on there without shitwrecking it. Thats quite a press fit.

wp

88Accord-DX
07-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Good point, heat the pulley & gear, dry ice the shaft. Small dial bore gauge is needed to measure precise measurements on pulley & gear w/ outside micrometer on shaft to get difference in clearance.