PDA

View Full Version : ok - time to ask : What is a Cat Back System?

gr3k0sLaV
08-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Okay this is going to be the dumbest question ive asked on here in ages...and im like on my 528 post or whatever it is,

but What on earth is a catback exhaust system?

and hows it different or better or worse than a straight through racer desig nexhaust?

Mantis88LX
08-11-2002, 07:15 AM
cat back is new piping from the catalitic converter back to the muffler, usualy the pipe is bigger without a resonator,

88WhiteLX-i
08-11-2002, 08:16 AM
it would be much better if we could put just a straight pipe from the headers all the way back until the muffler, but we've got emission standards and that would never pass =not street legal..... That damn catalytic converter sucks out about 5-15 horses, I've heard maybe even a little more or less. SO just a catback exhaust isn't going to give you tons of extra power because it's at the end of the system, and to gain the most outta your exhaust you wanna add new headers, high flow intake, high flow cat (or no cat at all), and a nice flow muffler on there. But the only thing that I am concerned about doing these things, is back pressure. I know someone on the old board I think posted an article on this, it's probably in the FAQ...LOL

Guyver007
08-11-2002, 12:42 PM
HAHAHA thats sucks in miami its not against the law to take out the cat converter they got ride of the emissions control thing and closed up the vehicle inspections places sorry for you guys,, but that doesnt realy do anything anyway if you look at it its just a honey comb that i guess slows down air or something i dunno but when i took out mine it was just like a honey comb no sensor no filters nothing but then again it is an old car so whatever ever was in there if there ever was musta been long gone but any way i just took out the converter broke everything inside that thing into small enough peaces to take them out and now i have a str8 empty pipe to the cherry bomb..... VUALA , no money spent, no waiting for the car at some muffler place nothing..

smufguy
08-13-2002, 04:45 AM
a catalytic converter is a catalyst. says under ur hood. IT filters ur exhaust gas and breaks it down to a lesser % of harmful shit. dont ask me what the crap is, i aint no chemist. Stock cats are kinda closely packed to get the lowest emission. but get a higflow, u will have a higher emission but its emission passable. u can run with no cat, but u would be setting off all the damn alarms. :flip:

gr3k0sLaV
08-13-2002, 04:49 AM
i know what the cat does..

Cat back, coz the exhaust set up ill be getting will just go from the cat, 2 1/4 piping, and straight to a muffler which I want to give me a nice deep sound..