PDA

View Full Version : F***ing gear shifter

mag_pbg
07-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Im trying to do a 5 speed swap, I have everything out except the gear shifter the shifter rod is disconected from the tranny, but I can't get the stupid metal cover off that hides the shifter. I got 4 of the 6 bolts off, but the last two the nut under neath just spins with the bolt and I can't get a wrench under there to hold it.

Acid X
07-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Sounds ghetto, but why dont you just take a piece of tape or something and stick it to the nut and a piece of metal.. Or just get a long extension maybe.. I'm not sure where the nuts located so i dont know.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I assume you have the exhaust out of the way for this. There should be tabs on the top metal plate to hold the bolt in place. This will allow you to unscrew the bottom nut without much trouble. If all else fails, get someone to hold the bolt in place while you wrench on the nut. Also, did you get the heat shield out of the way first?

mag_pbg
07-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I didn't know you had to remove the heat shield first lol, that may help thanx

AccordEpicenter
07-13-2005, 10:39 PM
just get a pair of vise grips and get them on the nut or the bolt tight, then get up top and try and unbolt it

mag_pbg
07-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Well I got the shifter out, I ended up going under the car and pulling it loose from the bracket under the center beam, and then pulling it up thru the floor board. I just have one more question, I read that I need a new drivers sdie axle for swapping out the 5 speed, I was just wondering what the difference was between the auto axle and the manual axle. Heres the prob. the drivers side axle on the parts car is shot, and the bolt that is on the very bottom of the suspension broke off so there is no way for me to get it out, my axle on my car is almost brand new, just bought it maybe 6 months ago, also im broke so im wondering if the axle off of my automatic would fit when I put in the manual¿

shepherd79
07-14-2005, 12:05 PM
i believe auto axel is 1" shorter or it is another way aorund (longer), can't remember.
eather way, it won't work with manual tranny.

POS carb
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
the auto axle is a tiny bit (like 2 mm longer) where it connects to the diffriential. It'll run but after a bit the manual tranny will spit the axle out and all the oil will come out of the trans (if your lucky)
If you are willing to take the axle apart you can probably plug the A/T axle and spider (I think that's what it's called) into the M/T axle spline-thingy (the part that goes into the tranny and holds the 3 spider bearings together) but you have to really pack in the grease or it'll make noise.

mag_pbg
07-14-2005, 07:33 PM
thanx for the info, im pretty well strapped for cash right now and I have everything I need to do the swap now but the axle, and a remanufactured one is only like $54 but there is a $60 core charge and sicne I can't get the stupid axle out of the parts car in f'ed. The bolt in the bottom control arm thingy lol is stuck inside the bushing and won't came out, plus the end of it where the head of the bolt was broke off. I have tried hammering the hell out of it since it ins't threaded all the way through but it still won't budge. I do have a plan, it is kinda shady but it might work. Take my automatic axle and take it and trade it in for a manual one that way I don't have to pay the core charge.

mag_pbg
07-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Allright heres a update, Im getting a new axle monday and monday and tuesday I will swapping the trannys, but i Have one final question before I start, will I mess up the timing, on the fly wheel there are timing marks, my question is... Will I have to put the motor at TDC or can I just bolt the new fly wheel up without any probs. I was thinking I would have to put everything at TDC and then align the pointer to the white mark on the flywheel, is this correct¿

Cant Stop
07-17-2005, 10:19 AM
ouch take a cutting wheel or torch to the old or do the shady thing and return the auto axle most parts places have no clue as to what axle is what.

also if the axle is only 2 mm too long where it mates to the dif couldn't you just cut the excess length off? or is it more than just a slightly longer shaft? i figured you trim some length and dress the splines and it should work but since i am not looking at the part i could be talking out the side of my ass right now. just a curious question.

mag_pbg
07-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Well I ended up just biting the bullet and bought a new one, figuered it would be safer and last alot longer. But I still need to know if I can bolt the flywheel up or is there a special way due to timig marks on it.