PDA

View Full Version : Trying to undo stage 3 vac removal

BMS
07-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I am trying my best to restore my car back to a smog-able condition, and it's a major pain. I have to pass both smog and visual. I've been coming along pretty well since I kept all the parts that I took off, but every now and then I find a line that isn't clear in the diagrams. He's the first one;

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/268000-268999/268651_26_full.jpg

The items in green and blue are my question. I believe that the item in blue is the thingamahooya which has a white canister and a black electrical piece, and bolts onto the brackets shared by the metal vacuum lines. Then there's the green piece, and I just plain old have no idea where that one goes. I got the first vacuum line which traces back to the hard line, but the link between the two components is what I don't get. Does someone have a picture of this setup? Or is it possible that these are the same two items that are on the bracket together, but are seperated in the picture?

leia
07-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Haha what could possibly be unclear in that picture with hundreds of squigly connecting lines?

Sorry....I am of no use...just felt the need to make that comment.

BMS
07-14-2005, 02:08 PM
No kidding, it's a giant mess, and I had to start from scratch. I've been chipping away at it though, and I have another 3 months until I have to smog.

POS carb
07-14-2005, 05:59 PM
the green piece has 3 vacuum connnections and the black solenoid should plug in to the bottom one. the middle is a fat hose that goes to the air filter box (it's an air bleed, you can just plug it) and the top looks like it's split between the EGR valve and the "mystery black box" at the left
shoot me a PM and remind me to search for pics tomorrow morning at home

BMS
07-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Roger, thanks.

HondaBoy
07-18-2005, 07:49 PM
are you doing this because you need to pass inspection? i had worried about that when i did the stage 1 removal. but i know a few shops that technically wont check the vac lines. maybe that's just luck. i also live in texas where its not as critical to have such damn clean exhaust. mine is still fairly clean, smelling anyway. good luck.

BMS
07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
well i finally got what i think are all the vacuum lines back on. there were so which i had no idea where the hell they went, so i just plugged them. i really wish that i had an original engine to look at so i could see where everything goes. anyway, i started it up and it runs, but it runs real rough and acts like it has a misfire. so i obviously either missed a line or got a few crossed. so i'll hopefully figure it out soon. if anyone gets a lot of energy and wants to post very detailed pictures of the vacuum lines i'd fall in love with you. maybe i should just to the junkyard and take a complete set off a car, and then all i have to do is plug it into the carb and i'm good to go.

A20A1
07-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Can you get pics of the ones you're confused about?

At least get some pics of the carb vacuum ports perhaps, with the air cleaner off.

BMS
07-26-2005, 03:26 PM
the problem isn't that i'm confused about some of them, the problem is that the diagrams are all so complicated that i must have just got a few crossed. i don't even know which ones might be wrong.