PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft pulley

Stockli
07-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey guys. I wrecked my '94 celica last week and got an '88 accord for a bag of M&Ms. The head gasket is blown and it has 203k miles on 'er. It's an Auto with carburetor.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the head off but i'm stuck on the crankshaft pulley removal. I searched the forum and read about pulley pullers and air impact wrenches.
I've tried a mactools pb4400 on highest setting with ~130 psi coming from the tank and the bolt still will not move. Can someone tell me my options here? Would a spray lubricant help loosen the bolt?

Thanks

88Accord-DX
07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Read this thread. There are a few ways to break it off. It's on there good.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=44715

Search around the board under "crank pulley", there are few more threads about removal...

Stockli
07-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks, man.
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get a more powerful impact wrench.
I noticed the crank bolt is a 19mm, is it supposed to be a 17mm?
Also, how would I go about using the breaker bar to loosen the bolt as this is an automatic? Would taking out the starter and wedging something in there work?

88Accord-DX
07-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Some say it's 17mm, you say it's 19mm. Maybe there is two different sizes for certian years. Here is quote by someone removing the starter to break the crank bolt loose.

I've never been able to hold the flywheel securely enough with a screwdriver, & with putting it in gear you get a little bit of play, which is enough to keep you from freeing the bolt if it's really really tight.

I usually take a spare dogbone mount and remove the large side bushing, then I take the starter out and set the empty ring part of the dogbone on top of the flywheel, sideways so the edges sit in between the teeth. That holds it so it won't move at all and you can crack that bolt loose.