PDA

View Full Version : Headers, Cams and Catbacks

Skaboy6t9
08-11-2002, 10:44 AM
Hey whats goin on. Ive been looking at doing some other mods like headers and catback system along with a new camshaft and some other things. I think i have the headers figured out they sell the DC Sports Ceramics on nopi for about 300, but does anyone know another place that i could order from usually nopi is more expensive than ebay or whatnot. As for catback how many of u have made custom catbacks and how much does it end up costing for 2.25" piping plus a straight pipe instead of that cat converter? The other thing is the camshaft which i have no idea how much a new one is or how to regrind it. If anyone could give me any input on updated/reground camshafts thats would be tightttt. Also i was wondering what the overall effect of a new camshaft would have on my car and how it would change engine performance? Haha alot of questions at once, i could use some input boyz =)

-Cam :pimp: :pimp:

1988starter
08-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Well Nopi is one of the cheaper places to get the header but good luck getting one they are on major backorder. As for a catback pacesetter is the only company that makes one for us. It sucks. Get a custom 2.25 mandrelbent pipe one less than 200 depending on the muffler you choose. Many people here enjoy the dynomax superturbo muffler. 39.99 advcanced auto parts 32.99 + shipping at summit racing. Ok for a camshaft talk to YK86 for a custom grind from coltcams or justanothermike for one from openloop motorsports. I think crower also does it. You cannot regrind a camshaft your self and will probably cost about 200 after shipping. Along with an intake (weapon r sucks, Any 92 civic intake will work cut about 3 inches off the end.) Header and exhaust. A camshaft is a wonderfull mod it helps quite a bit.

Skaboy6t9
08-11-2002, 12:20 PM
As for the intake me an my friend custom fit on his 98 Corolla short ram air and it seems to be working perfectly. Its a little shorter than the civic one i was going ot get but its in the same general area and works nice. If i end up getting the custom catback i will just have them weld on my apex n1 style muffler with it i think. Could someone explain how a regrinded camshaft would help performance? I know that the grinds in the cam control the opening and closing of valves and whatnot but i dont see how a reground one could help, maybe someone can explain it better to me. =)
-Cam

Guyver007
08-11-2002, 12:37 PM
i wish i knew whitch muffler makes that sound the eclipse in the Fast and furiouse made i want that one "HINT HINT whats that muffler on the Fast and furiouse eclipse" and for the str8 pipe well if you dont want to spend any$$$$ just go ghetto on it, Empty it out thats what i did, , tear up the comb thingy inside the converter till its an empty pipe simple as that same as going to some other place and geting it done except your not spending any money but its your car so do what you wish...

Sabz5150
08-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Skaboy6t9
I know that the grinds in the cam control the opening and closing of valves and whatnot but i dont see how a reground one could help, maybe someone can explain it better to me. =)
-Cam

A reground cam will change how far the valves open, as well as how long they stay open. Letting more air in and more exhaust out at the right time will increase performance.

Although the cam is ground lower on a regrind, you will adjust your valve clearances to compensate for the lower cam lobes.

-5150 :bandit:

Skaboy6t9
08-11-2002, 01:00 PM
How do you go about adjusting valve clearances is it something that can be done by myself or do i need to get it done in a shop?
-Cam

87pimpsterdocious
08-11-2002, 01:24 PM
You can do it yourself, it takes a little trial and error sometimes though! :)

Jims 86LXI HB
08-11-2002, 06:37 PM
If you are going to try and buy DC Sports headers you have to make sure the place you are going to try and buy them from has them on hand sitting in the same building that your order is going to. Nopi and allot of other places will let you order stuff that does not exist!!!!! Once you order they send the order to the manufactuer. With DC Sports that will do you NO GOOD!!! Their headers for our cars are on back order. Your only hope is to email a ton of shop's and ask them if they have the HCC-5510 in stock ready to ship, or do they have to order if from DC Sports, if they have to order it, it doesn't exist. It took me 5 weeks to track down my DC Sports headers. The average wait when you put yourself on the backorder list is 2-3 MONTHS!!!

CrVtecKid
08-11-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Guyver007
i wish i knew whitch muffler makes that sound the eclipse in the Fast and furiouse made

Yea that would be sooo sweet. Dude i need to find out where they got those neon lities under their cars AND WHERE DID THEY GET THOSE WINGS. holy shit i bet my car could fly with one of those.

:out: :out: :out:

Paul Aerodeck86
08-12-2002, 08:40 AM
OFF: Sabz150 where you get your profile animation??? Looking great!! I want to download full-sized version!! :))

Sabz5150
08-13-2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Paul Aerodeck86
OFF: Sabz150 where you get your profile animation??? Looking great!! I want to download full-sized version!! :))

I found that on some server out there. Looked cool, so I grabbed it. I have not seen a full size version of it, though I would like to find one.

-5150 :bandit:

2Fast_Fiero
08-14-2002, 06:35 PM
One place for me, I got a list of crap ranging from my suspension to my engine mods, http://www.RaceSearch.com

Flyguy125
08-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Guyver007
i wish i knew whitch muffler makes that sound the eclipse in the Fast and furiouse made i want that one "HINT HINT whats that muffler on the Fast and furiouse eclipse"

The muffler is either a borla or flowmaster, a borla muffle gives a little more sound depending on which one u get put a flowmaster will improve perforance more than any borla.

2Fast_Fiero
08-14-2002, 09:01 PM
ERRR WRONG!!! Tanabe:flip: Here's your sign...:stupid: Please wear it with joy, lol JP. It was Tanabe, not even close with the flowmaster/borla. and he had a full 2" pipe from the headers to the muffler, called a Cat Back, BUT, they might have a universal muffler and you can make your own piping like I'm doing.

2Fast_Fiero
08-14-2002, 09:11 PM
What I'm doing is, After I get my DC Sports Ceramic Headers, I'm gonna weld my own piping on them, I'm going with 2 1/2" piping, then I'm gonna bend it in all the places neccecary and leave the Universal 3A Racing muffler I have installed with clamps so I can change the sound and looks at any time with a different Universal Muffler, About the FnF 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse "RS", lol yea thats right, he owned the POS Eclipse, FWD and only 190hp, when he could have done a GSX and had AWD on 220hp, but he was also suped up pretty high to get that sound, Our accords put out some good sound, but we also have less performance parts made for them, I'm sure you can easily get your car to sound like his, thats what I'm lookin to do with mine, but I want mine sounding better, Also make sure you have good intake, thats also part of the sound, bad flow wont get you the sound you want. When I took off my entire Stock Intake system (NOT the Manifold) to design a home made Cold Air Intake and K&N Air Filter system, I left the whole thing off for a while and the sound got IMPRESSIVE!!! Makes you wanna :bow: to your car every time you see it.

1988starter
08-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Good luck getting an dcsport header with the waitlist.

2Fast_Fiero
08-14-2002, 10:31 PM
I don't have a wait list, EVER for anything. I get things ASAP and I get things with 20% Discount. If there is a better header, Please speak now cus I can get it. I get everything Next day, and if I don't the discount gets better.....:wave: