PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used Enviro-Safe Refrigerant

superdesi
07-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I am going nuts trying to locate some R-12 for my 89 LX-i. I stumbled on this stuff called Enviro-Safe. It states that it is compatible with R-12 and blows colder. Has anyone ever tried it?

http://es-refrigerants.com/

Baveara
07-17-2005, 09:00 PM
at the shop we use freeze-12

paso100
07-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I asked my mechanic who referred me to a product called MaxiFridge. It's supposed to be R12 compatible and cheaper. Haven't used it yet but I'll post when I do, in about a week.

superdesi
07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I asked my mechanic who referred me to a product called MaxiFridge. It's supposed to be R12 compatible and cheaper. Haven't used it yet but I'll post when I do, in about a week.

I think Maxi-Fridge and Enviro-Safe might be the same exact refrigerants. Do you have a website for Maxi-Fridge ?

paso100
07-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I think Maxi-Fridge and Enviro-Safe might be the same exact refrigerants. Do you have a website for Maxi-Fridge ?
You're right. I found www.maxifridge.com and it just had pics of envirosafe cans for sale. They sell all the adapter fittings, cans of R12-compatible replacement, etc. Looks like good prices, too.
Here's the link:
http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm

shepherd79
07-18-2005, 05:52 AM
ok,
does anyone know if i have to vacuum out my system to put this stuff or i can i just mix that stuff with R12?
thanks guys.

superdesi
07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
ok,
does anyone know if i have to vacuum out my system to put this stuff or i can i just mix that stuff with R12?
thanks guys.

I personally would vacuum the system out because it will remove any sort of moisture in the system. Vacuum it for 30 minutes and you are good to go. Let me know how it goes because I want to go ahead and order it if this thing works.

IN_ONE_ACCORD
07-18-2005, 12:32 PM
You can go to a site on the web and get a 609 certification card for $20. That allows you to buy any type/size container of refrigerant you want...even R12 off of ebay! That's what I did, and glad because the systems we have are for R12, or something that uses the same lower pressures. Don't change system to the new R134 because the higher pressures will blow compressor. I've never used envirosafe, but have used a product called Hot Shot. Very good drop in replacement for R12.

superdesi
07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
You can go to a site on the web and get a 609 certification card for $20. That allows you to buy any type/size container of refrigerant you want...even R12 off of ebay! That's what I did, and glad because the systems we have are for R12, or something that uses the same lower pressures. Don't change system to the new R134 because the higher pressures will blow compressor. I've never used envirosafe, but have used a product called Hot Shot. Very good drop in replacement for R12.
Enviro-Safe refrigerants do not put a high load on the compressor. You have 1 ounce of E-S for every 3 ounce that is needed for an R-12 system.

R-134 on the other had does have higher pressures and therefore they recommend that you fill the system to 80% of the original capacity.

Blkblurr
07-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Iv'e been running R134A in my 89 SEi for 3 years now. It works fine and cools about 90% as good as R12 in our systems. The key to using it in our system is not to exceed 60 psi when filling. You can do this by throttling down the charge rate if you have a set of guages. As soon as the can starts to get cold you can open the valve fully. The internal pressure in the can reduces when it gets cold. One trick I use is to get a bucket of hot water and put the can into it when it gets cold. I watch the guage to make sure the pressure does not exceed 60 psi. If it gets close to that, I pull the can out of the hot water and the pressure drops immediately. This helps get the charge in quicker. my system runs at about 55 psi on the low side with a full charge so you need to keep the pressure above that when you're getting near a full charge or it may never get fully filled.

buds302
07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
yea just convert to r134 you can actually find that stuff and its not hard to do it. besides do you wana pay a fortune for outdated refridgerant or do you wanna run down to the walmart and pick up a can for 8 bucks and charge your shit up for cheap? you decide just my .02

superdesi
07-19-2005, 04:53 PM
yea just convert to r134 you can actually find that stuff and its not hard to do it. besides do you wana pay a fortune for outdated refridgerant or do you wanna run down to the walmart and pick up a can for 8 bucks and charge your shit up for cheap? you decide just my .02

My only reason for looking into Enviro-Safe is because it is cheap (only $5 a can) even cheaper than 134-a. I just wanted to know if people on this board are using it and how they like it.

Cyric_accord
07-19-2005, 09:32 PM
My only reason for looking into Enviro-Safe is because it is cheap (only $5 a can) even cheaper than 134-a. I just wanted to know if people on this board are using it and how they like it.

Wow, you must really overpay for R-134 in your state, since I can buy the stuff at $3 a pound. But then again, I also live in the state with the strictest A/C laws in the US. Even I can't just go buy refrigerant, even being a Wisconsin Certified A/C Technician.

The problem with using R-134 in an R-12 system is not really the pressures, it's the fact that R-134 can and will leak out of the R-12 system, the seals and hoses not able to contain it.

Blkblurr
07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Wow, you must really overpay for R-134 in your state, since I can buy the stuff at $3 a pound. But then again, I also live in the state with the strictest A/C laws in the US. Even I can't just go buy refrigerant, even being a Wisconsin Certified A/C Technician.

The problem with using R-134 in an R-12 system is not really the pressures, it's the fact that R-134 can and will leak out of the R-12 system, the seals and hoses not able to contain it.

True to some extent. It takes years to leak out of a tight R-12 system. If you have a leak in an R-12 system it will leak faster with R134A. The good thing about R134A is it's available everywhere. I also asked Honda about the seal material difference between R 12 and R 134A. There is none. You can also use a refrigerant sealant on the threads of your hoses and tubes to prevent most of the loss that old systems have. I get to talk to Honda engineers regularly because the company I work for builds assembly and test equipment for them.

superdesi
07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Okay......after pondering the stupid subject for weeks, I placed an order for it today. I will let you know how it works once I get it. Believe me, before I order anything I do substantial research on it. Hundreds of people can't all be wrong.

Blkblurr
07-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Okay......after pondering the stupid subject for weeks, I placed an order for it today. I will let you know how it works once I get it. Believe me, before I order anything I do substantial research on it. Hundreds of people can't all be wrong.
I'm sure it works but not my choice because you have to order it and pay shipping charges. I do a lot of air conditioning recharges for people and I always use R134A

superdesi
07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
You're right. I found www.maxifridge.com and it just had pics of envirosafe cans for sale. They sell all the adapter fittings, cans of R12-compatible replacement, etc. Looks like good prices, too.
Here's the link:
http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm
Actually, let me take back what I said. It appears that Maxi-Frig http://www.maxifrig.com is a totally different product. This is not what I ordered. If anyone has used this product, please post your experiences.

BTW, there is another http://www.maxi-frig.com Check this one out too! If you start pulling your hair out with all these variations, then you are where I am.

Lester Lugnut
07-21-2005, 04:52 AM
I've successfully added Freeze-12 to existing R-12 systems. In both cases I get close to 40F vent temps in 95F or hotter weather.

I have a 609 certification and can get 12 cans of R-12 for $250, but I can get Freeze-12 for about 1/2 of that and it cools just as well as R-12.

In my area, R-134A is about $8-$10 a can. A year ago it was $4-$5 a can.

88accordlxcarb
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I use Enviro-safe. It works pretty good. Its been a few years and it still works.

It does about 60F when its really hot and muggy and you are sitting still and 40F when you are moving.

Oldblueaccord
07-23-2005, 10:36 PM
I used Freeze 12 on my old dodge just loaded it up 3 cans full and went. Pretty good stuff been more than a year now. Didn't vacuum the system, didn't change the o rings ,didnt change the compressor oil. Just down and dirty A/C fix.

A quick google search and the epa site should come up with info on all the Freon and Freon substitutes out there.

wp

superdesi
07-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Yesterday I finally received my shipment. I will install the stuff as soon as I get some time off work since I want to fully evacuate and vacuum it down. I will report to you all how it all goes.