PDA

View Full Version : do 3geez need mounting kits for headunits?

dj mackee
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
just bought a headunit on ebay and wondered if a mounting kit was necessary. i searched but found nothing and i just wanna make sure

88accordalltheway
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
no, unless the lip on the inside is all fucked up and broken. In that case, you need a small pre trim ring. make sure you use a wiring harness instead of hard wiring the radio to the car. Good luck

dj mackee
07-18-2005, 04:01 PM
okay kewl thanks. yeah i got the harness. so i guess im all set. thanks again

88accordalltheway
07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
alright, well make sure you dont connect the orange wire, its for illumination After that your good to go.

carotman
07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
well, the illumination feature is nice to have. Why would you want to have it disconnected.

smufguy
07-18-2005, 08:04 PM
I purchased a KDC-mp228 kenwood headunit today and put it in my car, it took me literally 15 minutes. due to the fact that the earlier deck was a kenwood and used the same wiring harness, so all i had to do was, use the suppied removal tool, remove the old one, take out the old basket, get the new basket, slide it in place, hook up my new one and drop it in. It actually took me that time and it was done.

well, the illumination feature is nice to have. Why would you want to have it disconnected.

normally it does not work and thats why a lot of aftermarket radios even recommend that you dont connect it and they come closed and tabbed and it says in the manual that you dont hook them up, the reason they have it then....... well i dont know why

carotman
07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Well, both of my Clarion headunits use the illumination feature. They become more dim at night when you turn the lights on. I'm glad they have this feature because I would litteraly get blinded by the one in my Accord. I even turned down the illumination dimmer on that one (nice feature)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
no, unless the lip on the inside is all fucked up and broken. In that case, you need a small pre trim ring. make sure you use a wiring harness instead of hard wiring the radio to the car. Good luck

Where can one obtain this pretrim ring that you mentioned? I've looked for just such an item and have not been able to locate it anywhere.

halxi
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I wish mine would dim at night, its F'n bright and distracting! its like *driving* *light flashes from headunit* "ooooo distracting graphic"

homer moment

d'oh

seriously though, i wish it worked.

88accordalltheway
07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Where can one obtain this pretrim ring that you mentioned? I've looked for just such an item and have not been able to locate it anywhere.
they have it at my work(best buy) for like 10 bucks and im sure you could get it at almost any audio place that does installs.

SteveDX89
07-20-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I hooked up illumination on my head unit. It's quite nice having it dimmed at night. Even though it's so far down in the down in the dash, I like it.

POS carb
07-20-2005, 12:24 PM
the radio should bring everything you need to install it except the wiring harness for your car. You can use the 90-93 accord harness kits if you want, it has an extra wire for power antennae which of course you won't use

dj mackee
08-01-2005, 09:34 AM
well its all hooked up and its sweet. illumination function works. whenever my parking lights or headlights are on the headunit dims just a little. next is my subwoofer install and rear speakers.