PDA

View Full Version : Couple nitrous questions for after the rebuild

FyreDaug
07-20-2005, 07:05 AM
As some of you know I'm in the process of building a bulletproof a20 right now, and that I had plans of putting nitrous on. Now I'm no nitrous genious, but I consider myself smart with automotives so no need to dumb this down for me. This is a possibly complicated system, so I will explain everything first.

My setup will have 1 activation switch for the whole system, it will then have a toggle switch after that switching between a WOT sensor to inject and a WOT sensor to make sure its WOT, and a push button switch. All of these running through another "switch" or sensor in the tach os it will only spray after 2700rpm. That probably didnt make sense and its early morning, so I'll leave that and re-word it aswell.

1 switch for full system arming.
a WOT sensor
A sensor at 2700+rpm
and a switch to switch between a push button injection which will only come on after 2700 rpms when I hit the button (at WOT only), or anytime after 2700rpm its at WOT.

Ideally I would like to have a selection between different jets on the fly, ranging from 4 different steps of 50.
50-100-150-200
I know the engine will be capable of a 200 spray so thats no worries.

My questions are (since I dont know nitrous all that well) that with my custom intake manifold and 4bbl carb can I have 4 different 50 jets hooked up? And an activation switch for each? So I can have jet 1 on for 50, and jets 1,2,3 for 150? (or even 2x100hp jets would be fine)

I know I am making things much more complicated than I need to, but its just my way of turboing, I can putz around with 140hp-ish around town completely reliably and when I need it, I can spray at whatever level I deem relevant to the cause. Theres especially no need to spray 200 in 2nd gear, as they will clearly light up, but 50-100 for lower gears then higher shots for the lower gears to keep the acceleration good. Otherwise I think I have to give up my plans for a 200 shot and go with a 150 max because it would be pointless to shred apart some toyo proxes tires for nothing.

Ive been doing my research on nitrous lately, but this answers some stuff I dont think I can find a solid answer to. Thanks guys

(ps, off topic but my solid mounts should be done today so I can build my headerback ram-air exhaust)

EDIT: also, I do like complexity, so this system if possible to build the way I want will make me change my shorts by looking at it, I have close to (or more than) 6months before this system will be in anyways because everything else will be upgraded before I go making 300hp.

88Accord-DX
07-21-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm not much on turbo, but from what I see on this board from the experts. "Get the management right."

Strugglebucket
07-21-2005, 02:37 AM
four different 50 shot nozzles sounds complicated. and with the flexibility it sounds like you're looking for it could become VERY complicated. lots of solenoids and switches and relays and such. i think it's cool though.

sorry if this post didn't offer any actual advice:dunno:

FyreDaug
07-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I dont care about complicity, actually I like it. Im just curious if this will work though, if I can different jets. Or what about a 50 jet and a 200jet that I can toggle between?

NXRacer
07-21-2005, 11:33 AM
different jetting sizes is cake. you can switch them pretty easily. not quite 'on the fly' but its good enough.

i believe you can get 2 step controllers from MSD that are RPM activated so you could use the WOT switch or the RMP activated.

I'm not sure why you'd want your spray to activate at 2700 rpms. thats super low for juice. unless you're looking to help spool a turbo, and even then that seems a little low to me.

since im supposed to be the local nitrous guru hit me up with any more questions and i'll do my best to answer them.

b8er
07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
in my opinion if you wanted to run different jets i personal think it would just be hella easier to run two systems instead of 7 differnt switches/solenoids/wot switches and everything else just to make a cpule jets work,

what i mean is to have a nitrous setup for lets say just for the sake of numbers with 50 shot jets(s) then have a second nitrous setup running your 150 jet(s)

now i know thats not quite what you wanted but thats what i would do

shepherd79
07-21-2005, 12:16 PM
if you are going to spray over 75 shot, you should think about ignition management.

HostileJava
07-21-2005, 12:53 PM
All of what you want to do is possible. Although it will require alot of wiring and soleniods. If you're going to use a system that sprays into the throttle body you can setup 3 seperate wet jet's. One with 25 shot nozzles, one with a 50shot nozzles, and one with 125shot nozzles. This would give you the option to do a 25 shot, 50 shot, 75 shot, 125 shot, 150 shot, 175 shot, or 200 shot. Only thing you are missing would be the 100 shot. Keep in mind you will need 3 soleniods for gas and 3 for the nitrous. You would first hook up your positive wire and run that into the cabin to a 30-50 amp switch(not sure how much power the solenoids draw). From there you can run that 12v wire to a single pole double throw switch (high current). This will basically allow to choose between 2 circuits. Your manually operated circuit and your WOT circuit.

Ok now lets deal with the Manual side. I'm not sure how the MSD works but you would need to wire it up so that after 2700RPM it triggers a primary relay that will then flow into a secondary relay that is controlled by a push button in the dash. When that push button is triggers the seconday relay power will flow into 3 more relays. These relays will be triggered by toggle switches in the dash. These will control power flow threw each of the three relays. You are going to wire the relays up to two solenoids each. One gas and one nitrous. The positive side of each soleniod will be wired up to the output of the relay and the negative can be wired to the chassis. The relays can be turned on or off using the 3 toggle switches that you will wire in the cabin. So basically how this side of the circuit would work is: Select wich jets you want to use with the three toggle switchs, turn master power switch on, flip switch to select manual control. Rev engine to 2700RPM, main relay kicks in. Push push button switch and power flows to all three relays however only the relays you have selected alow power to flow threw them to the soleniods allowing you to choose wich size shot you want to run.

Ok now the WOT side of the circuit. After your circuit selector switch you will run the power wire to another relay witch is controlled by a switch located on the throttle. This switch will be positioned so that when you achieve WOT it will activate the relay and send power directly to all three of the relays that you previously wired to the soleniods. You will again use the 3 toggle switches in the dash to control these three relays and in turn control the flow of nitrous and gas to the jets.

I hope all that made sense. I'm a little tired and I may have made some mistakes, but that is the simplest way i can think of hooking it up if you want to have 3 different size jets and be able to control wich ones are flowing depending on if you want to use a push button or WOT as a trigger.

NXRacer
07-21-2005, 12:58 PM
its a pretty pointless setup to run all that crap. why not just get a 2 stage? theres absolutely no reason to have 4 active shots. changing the shot pills is as simple as unscrewing a fitting, dropping in the new pill and screwing the fitting back on.

b8er
07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
yea but this way is way slicker, ahaha, i think it would be neat to be able to choose how big of a shot you want to use depending on the race

its just a neat idea, i like it

FyreDaug
07-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Its a carb, and will be a 4bbl. NX has a nice price on a 4bbl kit too.

What kind of ignition management should I go for? I havent looked into it much, I know I'll need some sort of mega retardation, but what can I use?